LONDON - Stamford Bridge (41,631 -> 60,000) - Page 125 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2019, 07:22 PM   #2481
r.bartlett

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporarily Exiled View Post
The delay is what causes harm. While Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and soon Man City enjoy 60,000+ capacity stadiums with modern facilities, Chelsea don't. That's an income gap, and the effects will only become more pronounced as time goes on.
In reality it's only a few weeks wages for the club.. It's more about ego IMHO.

Push for Safe Standing in the ground and it becomes a far more cheaper option.. 100m referb inc new walkways etc..job done.
r.bartlett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2019, 12:49 PM   #2482
Temporarily Exiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
In reality it's only a few weeks wages for the club.. It's more about ego IMHO.

Push for Safe Standing in the ground and it becomes a far more cheaper option.. 100m referb inc new walkways etc..job done.
I would be extremely surprised if safe standing meant anything more than rail seating with a 1:1 seat to permitted capacity ratio.

Macred liked this post
Temporarily Exiled no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 01:21 PM   #2483
JonMaze

Forgive me for not being up to speed, but this has intrigued me for a while..

Why can't they demolish the 2 titchy stands behind the goals, including the ugly hotel, and build larger capacity stands on them?
The new(ish) west stand looked great on TV on Thursday night. When I used to go to Stamford Bridge in the 70's the east stand looked like something from the future.

Will anything of the east or west stands remain the new plans?
JonMaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2019, 01:38 PM   #2484
richd

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMaze View Post
Why can't they demolish the 2 titchy stands behind the goals, including the ugly hotel, and build larger capacity stands on them?
The new(ish) west stand looked great on TV on Thursday night. When I used to go to Stamford Bridge in the 70's the east stand looked like something from the future.

Will anything of the east or west stands remain the new plans?
This has been looked at previously, but would not give a good return on investment - i.e. the seat gain per £ spent is high - although unlikely to be as high as the existing proposal. The primary reason however is the height we can build to with so many neighbouring properties close by. This is why the pitch level in the new stadium proposal is below ground level - in fact the top of the lower tier in the new proposal is at ground level, making the entire lower tier below ground. Lowering the pitch just isn't possible with a stand by stand rebuild and limits the height we can build to (even if we do have the depth/land mass to do so).

The East stand is extremely efficient in terms of capacity vs space. Rebuilding under todays reg's and keeping the same capacity would mean building out over the railway line and taking the space we have available with any right to build over the line. Height then becomes an issue again.

That said, anyone who has been in the East stand knows that although it's really efficient in terms of capacity vs space, facilities are woeful and concourse areas cramped - it really does need replacing to keep pace with modern grounds.

I don't remember the exact figures, but I believe at a push we could get to just below 50K with a rebuild of three stands and that is with capping over both railway lines for access. The return on investment just doesn't stack up with a ~10k capacity increase, even with more corp space.

JonMaze, RobH, EPA001 liked this post
richd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 05:45 PM   #2485
r.bartlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporarily Exiled View Post
I would be extremely surprised if safe standing meant anything more than rail seating with a 1:1 seat to permitted capacity ratio.
I don't understand why you would think that?

https://www.fercoseating.com/assets/...et_may2018.pdf
r.bartlett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 05:49 PM   #2486
richd

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:

I don't think its about the seat hardware, but access/egress. Vomitory and concorse size, stair capacity all play a part and that is before you start looking at the external aspects (which we know we can solve with the decks over the railways)
richd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:12 PM   #2487
jts1882

Likes (Received): 17647

Quote:

Based on comments from those who might make the decision. There is opposition to allowing standing and most of the people supporting it have taken the 1:1 compromise so seats and tickets can be tracked. This includes the government minister who has taken a favourable stance (since replaced)

I'd be incredibly surprised if safe standing is anything other than 1:1 when introduced. Long-term they might change it but no ambitious club can wait on this.
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:38 PM   #2488
imagod

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1882 View Post
Based on comments from those who might make the decision. There is opposition to allowing standing and most of the people supporting it have taken the 1:1 compromise so seats and tickets can be tracked. This includes the government minister who has taken a favourable stance (since replaced)

I'd be incredibly surprised if safe standing is anything other than 1:1 when introduced. Long-term they might change it but no ambitious club can wait on this.
Anybody who thinks the govt are going to jump straight from all seated 1:1 stadia straight to stands where they are packing them in stood-up on a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio has lost their sense reality.

If its ever allowed at all it will be on a 1:1 basis.
imagod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:19 PM   #2489
Hemi 426

Likes (Received): 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagod View Post
Anybody who thinks the govt are going to jump straight from all seated 1:1 stadia straight to stands where they are packing them in stood-up on a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio has lost their sense reality.

If its ever allowed at all it will be on a 1:1 basis.

Yes, more than likely. The government has been dragged kicking and screaming to even allow it's introduction at all. But that's not to say things couldn't change in the future. A Dortmund type set-up could be implemented where obviously they can switch from a complete standing arrangement to a reduced capacity where seating has to be installed for Uefa competition matches.
But as stated elsewhere, it isn't just about stand sizes but if the access and egress of the stadium can also handle additional numbers. There also has to be facilities like food outlets, toilets, etc in place for the extra capacity.
Hemi 426 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 03:50 PM   #2490
joey_jojo

Likes (Received): 1

Hopefully construction of this stadium can begin before the end of the calendar year at the latest. With the development being put on hold along with the minimal communication from the club has me concerned as a fan 😬
joey_jojo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 05:06 PM   #2491
SteveCac

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_jojo View Post
Hopefully construction of this stadium can begin before the end of the calendar year at the latest. With the development being put on hold along with the minimal communication from the club has me concerned as a fan 😬
I severely doubt this concept will ever be built.
SteveCac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 08:26 PM   #2492
Florio

Likes (Received): 635

I'm happy that the new stadium will not buoilt. I think it is ugly, the actual stadium have a better design. They hate to rebuild the two kop, but the two main stand are perfect
Florio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2019, 05:04 AM   #2493
kiwi1691

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florio View Post
I'm happy that the new stadium will not buoilt. I think it is ugly, the actual stadium have a better design. They hate to rebuild the two kop, but the two main stand are perfect
Please tell me this is not a serious post
kiwi1691 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 04:10 AM   #2494
Hemi 426

A record £6.7m raised on the night for Unicef with the Soccer Aid match between England and a World X1, who won on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

Three ex Chelsea greats, Michael Essien, Didier Drogba and Ricardo Carvalho were on the victorious side.

Old June 18th, 2019, 04:14 AM   #2495
Hemi 426

Great aerial shot used by Soccer Aid for their promotion of the match.

Old August 6th, 2019, 12:03 AM   #2496
joey_jojo

Likes (Received): 1

Still hopeful that construction of this stadium will start soon but am concerned by the lack of updates from the club regarding this project.
joey_jojo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 09:05 PM   #2497
SteveCac

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_jojo View Post
Still hopeful that construction of this stadium will start soon but am concerned by the lack of updates from the club regarding this project.
I think the update from the club was quite clear. This project will not be built any time soon, no updates required.
SteveCac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 04:31 PM   #2498
Hemi 426

Whether the particular design that they have currently got planning permission for is ever built, one thing is for sure. They do need a stadium expansion of some sort because the demand is undoubtedly there.

In the wake of the Women's World Cup, Chelsea decided to switch the opening 2019/20 league fixture of their women's team from Kingsmeadow to Stamford Bridge. Tickets were free but even so, ordering them online shows some commitment to actually attend. The match sold out sharpish and there is currently a waiting list for any returns.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/20...waiting-list-i
Old September 9th, 2019, 05:22 PM   #2499
Hemi 426

A 25,000 crowd for Chelsea Women's opening WSL game of the new season vs Spurs. And a 1-0 win secured thanks to a 27 yard strike from Bethany England.

RobH, EPA001, aquamaroon liked this post
Old September 9th, 2019, 05:32 PM   #2500
Hemi 426

Seems like the Jim Ratcliffe (Ineos) bid to buy Chelsea FC was a non-starter almost from the outset. His brother Bob, and Chief Executive, has revealed in a BBC radio interview that there was some tentative contact but 'we were a long way apart on valuation'. The stadium situation also appears to have been a big factor.
Ratcliffe has recently bought OGC Nice in France's Ligue 1.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9096511.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london, stadiums