Urashima hotel.Suzuki Skywave adventure - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Japan Forum 日本フォーラム > Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真

Skylines & Photography / スカイラインと写真 Pictures & Video of Japan / 都市の景観・自然 写真とビデオ

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #1
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 66

Urashima hotel.Suzuki Skywave adventure

Here we go again.

This time a nice 300 km ride from Osaka down to the pacific ocean on the far southern tip of Wakayama prefecture.Welcome to Urashima hotel.An onsen(Hot spring) resort that takes up an entire island.A bit like Fantasy island from the 1970s TV show but with a funky 80s Japanese twist.They havent renovated it since then.

A nice day trip.Almost 600km in one day.About 4 hours each way.Some of it Expressway but most of the journey,my favourite road in Japan,Route 169.Unfortunately I didnt want to stop and take any pictures of the road.I was in a big hurry.Next time I use it I will dedicate a thread to this wonderful section of Japan's mountainous countryside.

Here is the map in realation to Osaka.Wakayama prefecture is in the blue.

This hotel was F""KING HUGE.Just a small section.Sorry about the tug boat in the foreground.An ugly warf runs its course just of the mainland.

All aboard the boat to Urashima Hot Spring hotel.

After a 2 minute ferry ride.You arrive at the front entrance.There are 6 onsens(hot springs) on the island.You can see some of the pictures of the onsens above on the canopy.

View from the Hotel front desk.It strangely reminded me of something out of Bond film from the late 60s

Here is the Hotel Map with all the happy onsens and the happy onsen family down the bottom of the picture

There are two ways you can visit Urashima hotel.You can stay over night and pay 200 US dollars.Or you can visit for the day and just use all the onsens for only 10 US dollars!.....Thats right 10 lousy US dollars.What a bargin.Here is the guide to all the different onsens pointing you in the right direction.Which one do I want to visit first.Let me see....Mmmmmm.....I think I'll goto the most famous one first.

These pictures aren't mine.Any photos in an onsen are strickly forbidden by law.Everyone is naked.In case you are wondering.Females and males are seperated.These shots are from a website.Notice the view of the ocean in the first picture.The experience was unforgettable.Soaking up in the surphuric water with the waves crashing against the rocks.

Ocean cave onsen.My favourite

The mountain Onsen.Another good one.This time the water was more mineral rather than Sulphuric.

This onsen was Nasty.The water was too hot for me.I only lasted 1 minute.It was dark brown as well.Minerals I guess

I was too tired to go to the other three onsens.They drain your energy.But I did manage to take a dip in the hotel pool.

Back to my pics.
The escalators up to the top of the island and the mountain section of the hotel.

Ahhhh the view.

Looking the other direction with the town of Katsura around the ferry port to the island.

Another direction looking out into the Pacific ocean.

The Skybar.....How 80s.

Linking different sections of the hotel are tunnels under the island with slot and game machines

There were about 4 tunnels I walked through

Here is a model of the hotel.Notice the white marker in the red print.That tells your location.These models are all over the hotel so you dont get lost.

Bad light in the picture.Sorry.The main dinning hall looking out to the pacific ocean.

Ive had enough and I'm bloody tired.Ive got a 4 hour journey home.Time to get on this wacky ferry and beeline it for Osaka on the mighty skywave!!!! Total comfort all the way.

The weather aint looking good

Just as I left Kastsura I was stopped for about 5 mins to allow this danjeri parage to cross the road.Ah Japan.You gota love it

Mmmmmmm......Skywave........400cc of pleasure.....black beauty!

Last edited by Nick; September 25th, 2004 at 08:59 PM.
Nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #2
maxxam80

Likes (Received): 3

nice pics as usual Nick

and and also nice bike as usual Nick

love how long and slim your bike is
maxxam80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #3
Draff

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice pics. It's great being able to see places that I normally wouldn't see.
Draff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #4
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 66

Thanks Max and Daff for your comments.

Here is a picture of the skywave taken today.I just got back from a breathtaking tour of Izushi.About a 600km return trip north of Osaka near the Japan sea.

Notice the comparison to the small car.

Just two photos from Todays tour.I will post the rest later in the week.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: