Two Rivers | Gigiri | 62,000m² retail space - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #41
Manalive

Likes (Received): 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by abz van fifa wyze View Post
looks to good to be tru

right... NBI is on a roll!
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #42
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by primezz View Post
simply put, village market is gone out of business! whether it gets upgraded like royco says or not wont matter. peeps will go to the one spot that offers it all, period.
I thought the same would happen to Sarit Centre when Westgate came up. Somehow, they coexisted despite being meters away from each other.

Might be the case for this mall and the Village Market. Same goes for Thika Road Mall when Garden City opens its doors.
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #43
Manalive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
I thought the same would happen to Sarit Centre when Westgate came up. Somehow, they coexisted despite being meters away from each other.

Might be the case for this mall and the Village Market. Same goes for Thika Road Mall when Garden City opens its doors.

Thika greens is supposed to be putting up a mall too...
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #44
CaspertheDj
ici maintenant & toujours

Likes (Received): 1505

Thika Greens Mall will not be close to Thika Road Mall (TRM) . A good 30km apart...
CaspertheDj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #45
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspertheDj View Post
Thika Greens Mall will not be close to Thika Road Mall (TRM) . A good 30km apart...
Exactly. Compare this to the distance between TRM and Garden city. Just meters apart.
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #46
primezz

Likes (Received): 5148

Nairobi is getting saturated with malls.
primezz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #47
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 78204

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:49 PM   #48
Kenguy

Centum is showing interest in taking up Rea Vipingo, the largest sisal producing company on this side of the continent.

This company has large farms that can easily be converted to huge real estate developments. An 8000 hectare farm in Makueni could easily be turned into a major urban development a few kilometers from Konza city. They also have 3000 hectares 30 kms from Mombasa which to me will be the ultimate goldmine for a new city in the coast region.

Centum is a company to watch.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:09 AM   #49
abckris

Likes (Received): 2333

Quote:
Centum is showing interest in taking up Rea Vipingo, the largest sisal producing company on this side of the continent.

This company has large farms that can easily be converted to huge real estate developments. An 8000 hectare farm in Makueni could easily be turned into a major urban development a few kilometers from Konza city. They also have 3000 hectares 30 kms from Mombasa which to me will be the ultimate goldmine for a new city in the coast region.

Centum is a company to watch.
I am not for this conversion of farms into real estate, we need a diversified economy. I'd rather they build in dry lands, if I were the president I'd root for a law/policy to promote development of dry lands and leave arable pieces to farms to feed the people and export for forex, but I'm not so I'll spectate.

Malaika254 liked this post
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:12 AM   #50
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abckris View Post
I am not for this conversion of farms into real estate, we need a diversified economy. I'd rather they build in dry lands, if I were the president I'd root for a law/policy to promote development of dry lands and leave arable pieces to farms to feed the people and export for forex, but I'm not so I'll spectate.
Sisal farms dont exactly "feed" people. They are mostly in dry areas to begin with. Real estate development would employ more people and increase land value than a sisal farm would.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:08 AM   #51
Pande
BANNED

Likes (Received): 815

WTF...you want to replace farms with a bunch of concrete?
Pande no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 02:19 AM   #52
abz van fifa wyze
Chelsea F.C

Likes (Received): 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pande View Post
WTF...you want to replace farms with a bunch of concrete?
+1
Old January 5th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #53
Manalive

Quote:
Sisal farms dont exactly "feed" people. They are mostly in dry areas to begin with. Real estate development would employ more people and increase land value than a sisal farm would.

Good point Kenguy. The owners of the said farms are not doing charity work either. Its all about the bottom line. If real estate development serves them better compared to Sisal farming, then so be it. Real estate is hot right now because there is a high demand for descent housing.

african liked this post
Manalive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #54
abckris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manalive View Post
Good point Kenguy. The owners of the said farms are not doing charity work either. Its all about the bottom line. If real estate development serves them better compared to Sisal farming, then so be it. Real estate is hot right now because there is a high demand for descent housing.
As a private investor i'd go for the business bottomlines, as govt. I'd go for better long term outcomes for the population's interests. It's thus the govt's task to create incentives for private investors to develop business bottomline-sensitive projects in places that otherwise look unattractive to preserve high potential agricultural land. I thus blame the govt. for short-sighted ness and incompetence in as far as incentives are concerned. Again it should come up with a laws protecting agricultural land and promoting agriculture in such lands. This will create optimal utility for land, wherever it is: desert or arable. In the absence of such laws and incentives I agree with you circumstancially.

Malaika254 liked this post
Old January 5th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #55
abz van fifa wyze
Chelsea F.C

exactly in a country like Kenya food security is a top priority and agriculture is very important

my 300th comment
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #56
Malaika254

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
As a private investor i'd go for the business bottomlines, as govt. I'd go for better long term outcomes for the population's interests. It's thus the govt's task to create incentives for private investors to develop business bottomline-sensitive projects in places that otherwise look unattractive to preserve high potential agricultural land. I thus blame the govt. for short-sighted ness and incompetence in as far as incentives are concerned. Again it should come up with a laws protecting agricultural land and promoting agriculture in such lands. This will create optimal utility for land, wherever it is: desert or arable. In the absence of such laws and incentives I agree with you circumstancially.
I cosign. In Botswana for example, converting an agricultural land lease to a business land lease is almost impossibe. The government should streamline this practice. We have seen it happen in kiambu with coffee farms, how long before the % of arable land is halved?
Business/real estate is good, but agriculture is our lifeline.
Malaika254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #57
abckris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaika254 View Post
I cosign. In Botswana for example, converting an agricultural land lease to a business land lease is almost impossibe. The government should streamline this practice. We have seen it happen in kiambu with coffee farms, how long before the % of arable land is halved?
Business/real estate is good, but agriculture is our lifeline.
Imagine importing sukuma wiki and potatoes those supporting conversion of agricultural land into real estate can only see the short to medium term and individual benefits for real estate investors!
Old January 6th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #58
abz van fifa wyze
Chelsea F.C

i agree we cant give our arable land away
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #59
Netlink

Likes (Received): 6674

Though commercial development is a threat to our arable land, I think our biggest threat is our culture! Our culture of dividing land when one dies to our offspring will soon see most of our arable land littered with single family homes.

I was born on a huge farm around a farming community which happens to be our Nations bread basket. Our closest neighbor used to be many walking minutes away. Every time I go back home they are getting closer and closer. On one side now I can shout across the fence and they will understand me.

Food production in the region is plummeting.

I actually think planned commercial development example high rise apartments may be the answer. Of course some of these people will move to semi arid northern Kenya if you build a Dubai there.
Old January 6th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #60
Manalive

Quote:
Imagine importing sukuma wiki and potatoes those supporting conversion of agricultural land into real estate can only see the short to medium term and individual benefits for real estate investors!

Are we talking about government land or private property?
If we are talking Gov property, I agree with you. The Gov needs to protect fertile farm lands for nothing else but farming.

Private land? A completely different animal.
If someone owns a 1000 acre farm land and is growing potatoes, then he decides that he wants to stop farming and build a mall, a private hospital and maybe a golf course, who is going to stop him? Don't people have a right to do what they want with their land?
Its obvious that our Gov cannot afford to buy back private land at market value in an effort to preserve farming.
Advertisement