Royal Arsenal Riverside | Woolwich | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything going up in London right now

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #41
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 78213

The Berkeley Group have uploaded promotional videos for the 'Waterfront' phase of Royal Arsenal Riverside:

Waterfront, Royal Arsenal Riverside
an introduction

Waterfront - Architecture
featuring AHMM

Waterfront - Local Amenities
featuring AHMM

Waterfront - Interior Design
featuring CID Interieur

Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2014, 12:28 AM   #42
SE9
South East Nine

Royal Arsenal Riverside - Woolwich, London by SE9 London, on Flickr

Core Rising, LondonerN1, jake-potato liked this post

Last edited by SE9; December 8th, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:45 PM   #43
Londonese
Londonese

Likes (Received): 192

I don't understand. Why do the buildings above look nothing like - or indeed as good as - the renders? Surely they aren't the waterfront ones?
Londonese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:53 PM   #44
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

That's phase 4. Phase 6 are the river front apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post

Phase 4
Plumstead Road, Woolwich, SE18

Application

Planning Application: 11/2382/O [Greenwich]

Date of submission: 10 October 2011

Date of decision: 20 December 2011

Phase details

Residential units: 592

Non residential floorspace: 4,688 m²

Crossrail Station

I think the last of SE9's pictures is phase 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post

Phase 5
No. 1 Street, Warren Lane Gate, Woolwich, SE18

Application

Planning Application: 12/1168/F [Greenwich]

Date of submission: 3 May 2012

Date of decision: 5 February 2013

Phase details

Residential units: 92

SE9 liked this post
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #45
Londonese
Londonese

Likes (Received): 192

I see, thanks for the clarification.
Londonese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #46
Lower

Likes (Received): 31

Shame that so little has happened to the on site hotel. The legal wrangling between Berkeley and Melior is continuing over it.
Here's the last official update from the firm: http://meliordevmgt.co.uk/woolwich-royal-arsenal/
Lower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #47
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower View Post
Shame that so little has happened to the on site hotel. The legal wrangling between Berkeley and Melior is continuing over it.
Here's the last official update from the firm: http://meliordevmgt.co.uk/woolwich-royal-arsenal/
Thanks, I've been wondering why there's been no progress for quite a while.
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #48
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 3564

From the Murky Depths, who posts here occasionally, had an interesting article on plans from the developer to knock down a listed building in part to provide a place for drivers to drop off people by the station: https://fromthemurkydepths.wordpress...-this-weekend/

SE9 liked this post
Retro Specs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #49
SE9
South East Nine

Royal Arsenal Square
SE18

Application

Planning Application: Greenwich 14/3242/F

Old December 8th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #50
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 14252

all the black cabs are from the 70s, weird.

London construction photos: • by area/project • by year
Urban Showcase: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Lisbon • Lanzarote •• Orkney • Bristol • England's West Country • London
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:35 AM   #51
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 14252

passing through - my first time in woolwich - didn't stop and look around sadly, as it was getting dark already

Royal Arsenal Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Royal Arsenal Riverside u/c by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

London construction photos: • by area/project • by year
Urban Showcase: • Valletta • Ljubljana • Funchal • Lisbon • Lanzarote •• Orkney • Bristol • England's West Country • London

SF-02, Core Rising, SE9, teabush, Mr Cladding liked this post
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 01:34 AM   #52
SF-02

Likes (Received): 123

That paving and road was put in at a cost of millions recently as part of a larger scheme. The road is already covered in spots of tarmac and the paving seemingly never been cleaned. Greenwich council are so bad at this. A quick clean once a month with a jet wash on the paving & road would improve things immensely.

The council work to get improvements to improve the appearance of the area, is then lucky enough to get investment from various groups (mayors office, developers etc) and then the council don't do the basics.
SF-02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:18 AM   #53
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 1053

Paving repairs: Main issue are the statutory services (water, gas, electrics, telecommunication cable companies) who are permitted by law to do the crappiest repairs when they do subsurface infrastructure work to roads rather than to reinstate the surfaces which exist - they have no incentive to do any decent work and the municipalities are left to fix the end results. This is a problem in much of the world. Stat services should be legally required to reinstate existing finishes of road and pavement surfaces.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 03:30 PM   #54
SF-02

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Paving repairs: Main issue are the statutory services (water, gas, electrics, telecommunication cable companies) who are permitted by law to do the crappiest repairs when they do subsurface infrastructure work to roads rather than to reinstate the surfaces which exist - they have no incentive to do any decent work and the municipalities are left to fix the end results. This is a problem in much of the world. Stat services should be legally required to reinstate existing finishes of road and pavement surfaces.
Aye I know that utility companies are not too bothered with quality of work, however councils do have the power and ability to order like for like replacement. Plus, there's no excuse for the pavements except Greenwich council's lack of effort and care for public realm. Given that lack of effort with paving, I doubt they bother to pressure utilities and contractors regarding the road, who know it and don't do what they should.
SF-02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 04:15 PM   #55
Fromthemurkydepths

Likes (Received): 203

If the council want to bridge the divide between 'new' Woolwich at the arsenal and 'old' Woolwich, shown above, they must keep it to a decent standard and less grotty. At the moment its like chalk and cheese on the whole.

That parade of buildings to the right is part of the Spray Street masterplan site. This is a large project which will completely rework this part of Woolwich. I wrote a pretty lengthy post on it here https://fromthemurkydepths.wordpress...nd-demolished/

New Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

AUTOTHRILL liked this post

Last edited by Fromthemurkydepths; December 31st, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
Fromthemurkydepths no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 05:45 PM   #56
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-02 View Post
Aye I know that utility companies are not too bothered with quality of work, however councils do have the power and ability to order like for like replacement. Plus, there's no excuse for the pavements except Greenwich council's lack of effort and care for public realm. Given that lack of effort with paving, I doubt they bother to pressure utilities and contractors regarding the road, who know it and don't do what they should.
With all due respect, to my knowledge Councils DO NOT have the power to to make utility companies undertake "like for like" repairs. That is exactly the problem, and why often Councils give up trying hard to maintain improvements to the public realm.

I grew up in Brighton and Hove. Many years ago now, Hove Council made a huge effort to repave one of its major thoroughfares, New Church Road, a long wide boulevard type road, and to coordinate all the utility companies to undertake any works prior to repaving. Then the council did a very fine repaving job and used a red finish asphalt. The following year of course one of the utility companies decided to replace a pipe running the full length of the street and did the nastiest reasphalting repair job. I remember the Council saying how much work they put into doing this road job with lots of consultation and additional budget, and finding it all ruined by just one utility company, and they said they would not do this again. I don't think anything has changed since.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:33 PM   #57
Fromthemurkydepths

Likes (Received): 203

I'll do some looking into it. I do recall reading there is an obligation but do not have a source to hand.

Another way to deal with it is though is the relatively recent introduction of permits. I don't know about outside of London, but in London, boroughs can force utility companies to seek a permit before work, instead of just notifying the council. These permits can have a charge levied, and possibly used to repair/replace after work is done.

Greenwich were not in the initial tranche of councils to apply in 2010. Only around half of London councils did. What the other half were playing at I don't know. I believe they have since joined but possibly this work was done before that happened.

As for the case of Brighton - along with this stretch, I think this may be a good case for not having light coloured surfaces and uncommon materials used in busy areas. Sooner or later they will be dug up and even with any schemes to mitigate it may prove expensive to replace. Plus, this road is heavily used by buses and light surfaces become stained and slabs crack under the weight. Better to just have tarmac and keep the pavements to a high standard?

New Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Fromthemurkydepths no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 03:14 PM   #58
london lad

Likes (Received): 3672

I'm pretty sure utilities need to make good on road surfaces within 6 months of the original work. However if a council has totally repaved or tarmacked a road and even if a utility eventually does it to the same standard there is still going to be a whacking great scar running along the road.

It all stems from original privatisation of utilities where they were not forced to put more effect into repairing the pubic realm and a sham this hasn't been retified since or a greater emphasis or putting utilities all along one service pipe , especially for newer developments so the same street isn't ripped up dozens of times.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:16 PM   #59
hemsl

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
It all stems from original privatisation of utilities where they were not forced to put more effect into repairing the pubic realm
Maybe.

But as Fromthemurkydepths so comprehensively chronicles on his blog, Greenwich Council do a poor job of maintaining the property they have control over, including the grounds surrounding their housing estates.

Their track records gives no reason for confidence that the public sector would serve us any better than the privatised utilities in this respect.
hemsl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #60
Lower

Likes (Received): 31

With the wall now down around the entrance to the site it shouldn't be too long before shops start opening up facing onto the road
Lower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
greenwich, london, riverside, royal arsenal, royal arsenal riverside, woolwich