Official Birmingham Development Thread 46! - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 31st, 2015, 02:41 PM   #101
daumal

Likes (Received): 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

Purely a sweetner at the start of operations..Let's see if the harborne staff feel the same way this time next year !!
My son worked for them up in the North West, absolutely lousy operators, nothing but staff cuts, taking on apprentices on the lowest possible wages, staff were and are leaving in droves, definitely didn't listen to staff. Lost their Manchester contract altogether...I wonder why???...and Birmingham takes them on
Harborne isn't run by Serco. But yes, Serco do have form and none of it's good. Luckily for them, Birmingham City Council probably won't have negotiated it in a way which means they can lose the contract at all. We'll probably end up paying them more if that happens!
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2015, 11:41 PM   #102
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Quote:
Originally Posted by daumal View Post
Harborne isn't run by Serco. But yes, Serco do have form and none of it's good. Luckily for them, Birmingham City Council probably won't have negotiated it in a way which means they can lose the contract at all. We'll probably end up paying them more if that happens!
..... and our Councils run all of our services in a "good" and cost effective way with little or no waste, then?

fruit&nut liked this post
Sandblast no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:06 PM   #103
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7644

Do we know anything else about this proposal

http://jrossdevelopments.com/project...l-development/
sefton66 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2015, 10:44 PM   #104
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2624

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Do we know anything else about this proposal

http://jrossdevelopments.com/project...l-development/
That is this site https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...5cf584ff8621e3

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

sefton66 liked this post
djay no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2015, 11:02 PM   #105
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7644

thank god for that!

Always thought about what impression it leaves for visitors to soho house

Do we have any more info? Has a planning app been submitted etc.?
sefton66 no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2015, 11:14 PM   #106
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4920

It's very old. Been floating around for years.
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:43 AM   #107
daumal

Likes (Received): 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
..... and our Councils run all of our services in a "good" and cost effective way with little or no waste, then?
No, of course they don't. I'm not saying that, as I suspect you well know.

I'd much rather push for efficient public ownership than farm it out to equally inefficient private sector organisations (with far worse pay and benefits for staff) on contracts which are invariably non-beneficial to the public purse over the long term. But if it were up to me I'd look at setting them up as third sector, mutually run organisations which operate for the benefit of their members and the wider community - models like this exist, are successful, and would lend themselves exceptionally well to this type of operation.

The choices are not, or should not be, the desperately poor management of Birmingham City Council as it is now or the desperately poor management of the likes of Serco. Both models are, in their own way, completely unsuited to the management of community infrastructure.
As revealed to St John the Divine.

Sandblast liked this post

Last edited by daumal; April 2nd, 2015 at 01:50 AM.
daumal no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:02 AM   #108
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2709

Not sure if anyone saw this, and I couldn't find the relevant thread.

Apparently Swift is being rolled out across London Midland city trains and Midland Metro in the next two years!
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2015, 04:34 PM   #109
Phillwop
PG

Likes (Received): 168

Yup. I put it in the metro transport thread.

Harborne Ultimatum liked this post
Phillwop no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:44 PM   #110
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Quote:
Originally Posted by daumal View Post
No, of course they don't. I'm not saying that, as I suspect you well know.

I'd much rather push for efficient public ownership than farm it out to equally inefficient private sector organisations (with far worse pay and benefits for staff) on contracts which are invariably non-beneficial to the public purse over the long term. But if it were up to me I'd look at setting them up as third sector, mutually run organisations which operate for the benefit of their members and the wider community - models like this exist, are successful, and would lend themselves exceptionally well to this type of operation.

The choices are not, or should not be, the desperately poor management of Birmingham City Council as it is now or the desperately poor management of the likes of Serco. Both models are, in their own way, completely unsuited to the management of community infrastructure.
I agree with what you are saying - but, for example, and not totally relevant, we only tend to hear about the private companies that happen to accidentally let a prisoner escape from a prison or prison van ..... Trust me, the state run prisons are worse, the only difference being is that you won't get to hear about it

Whilst a particular council has 'guaranteed' income from us council tax payers, they will fritter away our money at will. Or they have done so in the past. Now, they are having to become more accountable and 'open' and realise, actually, they cannot afford to run these facilities - they cannot run up debt on our behalf, and private companies - which are not as badly run as the BBC would like us to think they are (as they want to protect the licence fee - 'guaranteed income') will make mistakes like any other organisation - publicly owned or private.
Sandblast no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:32 PM   #111
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14385

Does anybody know what's happening to this site on Walsall Road, these buildings are currently being demolished

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Wal...2,29.8,,0,9.64

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Wal...2,34.4,,0,6.12

If nothing is planned Perry Barr really will become a ghost town once BCU goes too.
ReissOmari no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:29 PM   #112
djay
The promised land

Nope nothing planned yet... well i mean no app yet. I don't think the site is within emerging policy. either housing or more industrial i think would come forward.

Last edited by djay; April 3rd, 2015 at 01:01 AM.
djay no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:30 AM   #113
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 450

Utter disgrace regarding the library opening hours,
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:18 AM   #114
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4513

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Does anybody know what's happening to this site on Walsall Road, these buildings are currently being demolished

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Wal...2,29.8,,0,9.64

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Wal...2,34.4,,0,6.12

If nothing is planned Perry Barr really will become a ghost town once BCU goes too.

How much of BCU is actually staying at the Perry Barr site?
RalphGuy no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:49 AM   #115
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4513

An interesting article on the Planning Portal site that I can`t post a link to because I don`t know how.

Apparently, Think Tank IPPR has called for new 'City Villages' to be built to help deal with the housing crisis.

'City Villages' should be built within cities, particularly London and any other major area with pent up housing demand.

These should be "areas of regeneration and redevelopment with a much broader mix of housing types and tenures, at a range of prices and rent levels, but also with a view to being developed as whole communities with modern retail, transport and commercial facilities".

To achieve this, "Local Authorities should leverage their land ownership, especially their own council estates, and work together with developers from different sectors as well as local authorities and the government".
RalphGuy no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:32 AM   #116
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
How much of BCU is actually staying at the Perry Barr site?
Just the student halls and sports centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
An interesting article on the Planning Portal site that I can`t post a link to because I don`t know how.

Apparently, Think Tank IPPR has called for new 'City Villages' to be built to help deal with the housing crisis.

'City Villages' should be built within cities, particularly London and any other major area with pent up housing demand.

These should be "areas of regeneration and redevelopment with a much broader mix of housing types and tenures, at a range of prices and rent levels, but also with a view to being developed as whole communities with modern retail, transport and commercial facilities".

To achieve this, "Local Authorities should leverage their land ownership, especially their own council estates, and work together with developers from different sectors as well as local authorities and the government".
Back to 1997 labour regeneration policy it seems to suggest.

djay no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:35 AM   #117
djay
The promised land

deleted

djay no está en línea  
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:29 PM   #118
TJF

Likes (Received): 157

I wonder how much they're going to charge for those halls? I can understand living as a student in Perry Barr when uni's next door, but not so much when it's in the city centre.
TJF no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2015, 12:52 AM   #119
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2118

I could have misinterpreted what was said, but can anyone clarify this for me.
In December when we had a rash of proposals submitted for planning, I believe it was mentioned that developers were trying to secure planning permission before the council broke up for the elections at easter. ( the 12 weeks required before a decision as to be made)
Does this mean there will be no planning applications decided now till after the May elections
Just wondered because I know Left Bank was submitted in early December with the hope of a 12 week decision and site prep beginning in May and building starting in August. (4 months ago)
I assume the start will be delayed now
nigeman no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #120
That_G

Likes (Received): 161

left bank is an ugly proposal though i'd rather it was refused. We need quality buildings on broad street.

Typhoon2000, djay, Urbanicity liked this post
That_G no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread