Beorma Quarter | Phase 2 | Mixed-Use | 30fl | 113m | Appr. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #21
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 819

It's a bit Manchester-esque which is no bad thing. So this is two towers gone in for planning well over 100 metres in recent weeks? And both look fancy.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #22
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17066

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

We are starting to see towers again proposed for BRUM
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #23
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

Its fantastic. But no point celebrating until core rising.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #24
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

great to finally see this one in the public domain. It want a big quiet a few months back but glad to see momentum has continued. I just hope this rationalisation of the scheme is demonstration of the applicants intention to actually build this!!!
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:33 PM   #25
neon18

Likes (Received): 1157

Hail the growth of a city centre office tower

A glowing article written by Graeme Brown. Is this the start of Birmingham having multiple high rises through out its city core? I think the tide has now turned and no more scaling down but sclaing up.

Quote:
Hail the growth of a city centre office tower
19:38, 19 August 2015 BY Graeme Brown

Head of business at the Birmingham Post Graeme Brown welcomes the news that, for once, a city centre office and residential tower will be scaled up rather than down.

Beorma Quarter is named after the founder of the settlement that became Birmingham.

Size isn't everything, or so they say - especially if you're sitting behind a 6ft 6ins man wearing a bowler hat at the cinema.

The fact of the matter is that if it makes more commercial sense to put up a ten-storey building in your city centre than a 20-storey one then you're not over-burdened with demand.

So new plans for the second phase of the Beorma Quarter sit well with this feeling many of us have that Birmingham is on something of a crest of wave.

There are lots of reasons why this is potentially one of the most significant commercial schemes Birmingham has at the moment.

First is its location. The site faces Selfridges and the forthcoming Smithfield development on the Wholesale Markets site.

It also links Eastside to the city centre more tangibly than anything seen on a Birmingham City Council artist's impression.

It is one thing building a walkway for people to get out to Digbeth but fundamentally we need more people working there.

But of even greater significance is the fact that after years of developers down-sizing schemes in Birmingham, the tide has turned.

Before the recession, the proposed V-Building in Broad Street was to be a 51-storey colossus - new plans reach only half that.

Similarly, plans for Regal Tower, further down Broad Street, have seen ambitious proposals for a building looking down on the BT Tower slashed to a 22-storey apartment block and a hotel. Even the new NatWest Tower plans have been scaled down.

But Beorma has gone from 27 storeys to 30.

One small step for architects, but a giant leap for the Eastside feel-good factor.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...medium=twitter
neon18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #26
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7701

It does seem to be going the right way with proposals getting bigger and more ambitious, more seem to be getting be a reality than just an idea too, bring on more!!
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #27
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 781

I'm expecting a 100m+ tower at smithfield from the vision renders we saw. So if we have 2 then maybe it might attract investment for a possible cluster of towers.

RalphGuy liked this post
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #28
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 539

It defiantly has an interesting footprint. Would appreciate three/four great resolved visuals, but thats planning....Best of luck BM!
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #29
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4543

Looks mighty fine to me. A step in the right direction, which is somewhat of a relief.

I`ll truly celebrate though when it`s built.

Still, a good Brum news day!!
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #30
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2709

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBrum View Post
No Micgou comment about 14-storey capping yet...but there's still time
Lol, Zola Lloyd doesn't post any more, which is a shame. The number of times she got torched was quite funny. James Richmond usually posts sense.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #31
demtingzdere

Likes (Received): 473

I'll believe it when I see it.
demtingzdere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #32
Charity-Spring
Charity-Spring

Likes (Received): 1568

Nice. l both like it and feel optimistic that it will be passed and built. There is a marked difference in floor heights due to the first dozen or so storeys being the commercial element, but it doesn't scream at you as looking out of sync or anything. More office space for Brum'. More resi,possibly another skybar,good design too. Can't be bad. Get it up.lf not,ship it up north. l'd gladly have it here. Good proposal for Brum' and its skyline.

ROYAL BLUE, RalphGuy liked this post
Charity-Spring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #33
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4955

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtingzdere View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.
Well after a 12 month consultation period and looking at the documents attached, moving this to phase 2 and the site already U/C i'd suggest BAM will be following this straight through now.

Planning permission by December/January - start on site Q2/Q3 - 2017 we'll have a 113m tower on the skyline if not fully fitted next door to selfridges.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #34
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4955

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
It does seem to be going the right way with proposals getting bigger and more ambitious, more seem to be getting be a reality than just an idea too, bring on more!!
Long Harbour scheme may surprise us. After reading a few articles and reviewing the conservation area I actually think this could go up to around 25 floors.

You've got Moda apparently acquiring a site, most likely BST, Holloway Head or Versey Street. Just guesses.

You've got Arena 4 & 5 going up next year which is another solid 26 floor residential proposal. couple of 20+ floor towers at regal and dandara sites.

Got some good residential on the Post & Mail phase 2, decent size blocks at Pershore Street, Holloway Head, Bromsgrove Street etc.

Wouldn't it be nice if Nikal pull their fingers out their ass and deliver us 2 or 3, 20+ floor towers at Exchange Square.

No doubt Hammerson will propose a tower at Martineau Galleries.

Quayside tower in regal visuals had a massing for another tower the same height if not a bit taller adjoining it.

Potential for another 2, 100m towers at Paradise Circus and Arena 3.

Toyoko hotel i'd assume will propose something between 15-20 floors, Christopher Wray building, you've got the development site at the Birmingham College for nearly 300,000 sqft on a tiny parcel of land, property brough by chinese investors down Hagley road, 123-127 hagley road is also being considered for major development, Landsdown House at 16 floors.

City is currently flying at the moment and can only see it getting better.

Phillwop, Tony Bear, ROYAL BLUE liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #35
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 819

To be honest, I'd be happy for both this and Colmore Row tower to rise and end up close to the renders let alone anything else. So fascinating watching high rises rise.

We just need that one super tall building though. Knowing my luck, I'll be on my death bed, I'll breathe my last breath and.. Nick Owen's grandson... "breaking news on Midlands Today, the long awaited V Tower, once mooted as the UK's tallest building and scrapped by Dandara has been sold to Chinese investors who have put planning in for a 60 storey skyscraper, Birmingham City Council are said to be in full support". I swear I'd find a way to come back to life.

van heckler liked this post
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #36
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7726

And now this morning in the Birmingham Mail http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...D=FB-Birm-main

Quote:

The planned Beorma Quarter tower. Image: Trevor Horne Architects and Salhia Investments.
I doubt that the bridge will be behind it (that's impossible!)
Old August 20th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #37
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Long Harbour scheme may surprise us. After reading a few articles and reviewing the conservation area I actually think this could go up to around 25 floors.

You've got Moda apparently acquiring a site, most likely BST, Holloway Head or Versey Street. Just guesses.

You've got Arena 4 & 5 going up next year which is another solid 26 floor residential proposal. couple of 20+ floor towers at regal and dandara sites. Got some good residential on the Post & Mail phase 2, decent size blocks at Pershore Street, Holloway Head, Bromsgrove Street etc.
Wouldn't it be nice if Nikal pull their fingers out their ass and deliver us 2 or 3, 20+ floor towers at Exchange Square.
No doubt Hammerson will propose a tower at Martineau Galleries.
Quayside tower in regal visuals had a massing for another tower the same height if not a bit taller adjoining it.Potential for another 2, 100m towers at Paradise Circus and Arena 3.

Toyoko hotel i'd assume will propose something between 15-20 floors, Christopher Wray building, you've got the development site at the Birmingham College for nearly 300,000 sqft on a tiny parcel of land, property brough by chinese investors down Hagley road, 123-127 hagley road is also being considered for major development, Landsdown House at 16 floors.
City is currently flying at the moment and can only see it getting better.

Birmingham, what`s the Long Harbour scheme and the Toyoko hotel?
And where`s Moda`s potential site on Holloway Head?
Juicy!!
Old August 20th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #38
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3674

The tragic thing is that my laptop isn't showing me images on here for some reason. So i have no idea what the new design looks like?? Someone describe it to me haha from the comments on here im picturing a smaller Beetham Manchester??
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #39
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
The tragic thing is that my laptop isn't showing me images on here for some reason. So i have no idea what the new design looks like?? Someone describe it to me haha from the comments on here im picturing a smaller Beetham Manchester??

It`s on the front page of the Birmingham Post but, thinking about it, it`s the old render.

Last edited by RalphGuy; August 20th, 2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #40
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellbrown View Post
And now this morning in the Birmingham Mail http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...D=FB-Birm-main

I doubt that the bridge will be behind it (that's impossible!)
Poor reporting by Birmingham Mail, that's an old render, by the old architects.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement