Beorma Quarter | Phase 2 | Mixed-Use | 30fl | 113m | Appr. - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #121
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ............ Birmingham not unique with "hemming in" it's historic buildings, churches included, with tall buildings. Take a closer look at your own city
There is a church in New York that is tiny in comparison to the buildings surrounding it but I think it looks great.

Butterfield, Tony Bear liked this post
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #122
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3284

It isn't as though that part of the city centre is beautiful and needs preserving other than the church - and Selfridges.

Birmingham needs big and boastful and can handle it wherever it is.

Tony Bear liked this post
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #123
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post

Birmingham needs big and boastful and can handle it wherever it is.
Unless it's on tennant street, 12 floors is monstorous and gets cut down to 6....

Tony Bear liked this post
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #124
sefton66

this may have been answered already but looking for quickness, any ideas how much office space sq ft and how many apartments for this new proposal?
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #125
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4508

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
this may have been answered already but looking for quickness, any ideas how much office space sq ft and how many apartments for this new proposal?

According to the Brum Post last week, there will be 223 apartments and four live/work units across the three blocks but I can`t remember the office space.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #126
ComPurch

Likes (Received): 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
There is a church in New York that is tiny in comparison to the buildings surrounding it but I think it looks great.
Are you thinking of St.Patricks Cathedral,5th Avenue? It is hemmed-in by 4-5 skyscrapers.(btw,Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald were married there in 1920.I'm a big Fitzgeraldian )
ComPurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #127
sefton66

Don't think we knew of this, appears the developer is keen to deliver with more than just a planning app

Quote:
Salhia Investments: 12-21 Albert Street, which comprises 21,284 sq ft of Birmingham city centre office space, was purchased in order to “relocate a Digbeth occupier”. The purchaser, Salhia Investments, is the Kuwaiti investment company behind the Beorma Quarter – a Digbeth commercial property scheme of offices and a hotel complex. It is believed that the office space at Albert Street will have been acquired as part of an agreement for the sale of the relocated occupier’s offices – at the Beorma Quarter’s location on Allison Street – in order to free up the development site.

https://kwboffice.com/research/resea...entre/q2-2015/

Brum X liked this post
Old September 25th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #128
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Thanks for that Sefton.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #129
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

That will be for BVSC
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 09:55 AM   #130
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4919

Gleeds appointed on new phases of major Birmingham Beorma development

https://www.gleeds.com/en-gb/NewsMed...a-development/

Gleeds has been appointed to provide project and cost management, as well as health and safety services, for phases two and three of the landmark Beorma project in Birmingham. This scheme is being financed by Kuwaiti based developers, Salhia.

Following recent completion of works for phase one, the plans for phases two and three of the mixed use, residential and commercial project have now been submitted to Birmingham City Council, with an aim to start on site later in the summer.

Gleeds will also be responsible for supervising pre-construction archaeological digs to make sure the project follows the footprints of the original dwellings – a planning requirement specified by the council, allowing the 30 storey building to be constructed outside Birmingham’s tall building zone. The site is believed to be home to the city's last seven burgage plots, areas of land which date from medieval times and which gives the building its rather unusual floorplan and shape.

“The Beorma Quarter site demarcates the historic birthplace of Birmingham”, said Keith Williams on behalf of Salhia. “It was here in Anglo Saxon times that Beorma’s tribe settled and first gave Birmingham its name. Following on from the successful handover of phase one, this new stage adds to the richness and vibrancy of the Beorma areas, which itself has a distinct and unique place in the city’s history.”

Once completed, Beorma will provide housing for the private residential sector, along with start-up office units, helping the small business community by providing affordable commercial space.

Lindsay McCombe, Director for Gleeds Birmingham, said: “This project presents us with some interesting and unique technical challenges and specifications, our priority will be advising Salhia on how to manage the cost and risk implications involved, while ensuring the projects is delivered on time and budget.

“Having operated in Birmingham for the last 30 years, we understand the significance of the project to the local community, so we feel well placed to support all project stakeholders achieve their aspirations for the development.”

The firm has previously delivered projects of a similar scale, including Snow Hill One, Two and Three, as well as the Mailbox and the recently completed redevelopment of the Barclaycard Arena.

joshwebb, Owd Dog, ROYAL BLUE, RalphGuy, Brum X liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #131
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Gleeds appointed on new phases of major Birmingham Beorma development

https://www.gleeds.com/en-gb/NewsMed...a-development/

Gleeds has been appointed to provide project and cost management, as well as health and safety services, for phases two and three of the landmark Beorma project in Birmingham. This scheme is being financed by Kuwaiti based developers, Salhia.

Following recent completion of works for phase one, the plans for phases two and three of the mixed use, residential and commercial project have now been submitted to Birmingham City Council, with an aim to start on site later in the summer.

Gleeds will also be responsible for supervising pre-construction archaeological digs to make sure the project follows the footprints of the original dwellings – a planning requirement specified by the council, allowing the 30 storey building to be constructed outside Birmingham’s tall building zone. The site is believed to be home to the city's last seven burgage plots, areas of land which date from medieval times and which gives the building its rather unusual floorplan and shape.

“The Beorma Quarter site demarcates the historic birthplace of Birmingham”, said Keith Williams on behalf of Salhia. “It was here in Anglo Saxon times that Beorma’s tribe settled and first gave Birmingham its name. Following on from the successful handover of phase one, this new stage adds to the richness and vibrancy of the Beorma areas, which itself has a distinct and unique place in the city’s history.”

Once completed, Beorma will provide housing for the private residential sector, along with start-up office units, helping the small business community by providing affordable commercial space.

Lindsay McCombe, Director for Gleeds Birmingham, said: “This project presents us with some interesting and unique technical challenges and specifications, our priority will be advising Salhia on how to manage the cost and risk implications involved, while ensuring the projects is delivered on time and budget.

“Having operated in Birmingham for the last 30 years, we understand the significance of the project to the local community, so we feel well placed to support all project stakeholders achieve their aspirations for the development.”

The firm has previously delivered projects of a similar scale, including Snow Hill One, Two and Three, as well as the Mailbox and the recently completed redevelopment of the Barclaycard Arena.
But somehow the City Council can't save the old Golden Lion whic is one of the city's oldest surviving buildings, which once stood in Digbeth but is currently rotting in Cannon Hill Park. Should be moved back to Digbeth and money sought from English Heritage, ARTs Council etc http://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum...t=36332&page=7

Shel liked this post
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #132
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Shame they could not have some how brought the Golden Lion back as part of this scheme with additional funding sought.

Still love the tower though.
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #133
Shel
Dalek

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bear View Post
But somehow the City Council can't save the old Golden Lion whic is one of the city's oldest surviving buildings, which once stood in Digbeth but is currently rotting in Cannon Hill Park. Should be moved back to Digbeth and money sought from English Heritage, ARTs Council etc http://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum...t=36332&page=7
Couldn't agree more. Great post!
Old October 6th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #134
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bear View Post
I'm sorry but how is that relevant to the article at all?

The archaeological work is a common planning condition in any area of archaeological interest. This is a power given to them through national planning policy. It will be paid for by the developer and conducted by a private contractor or institution.

Whilst I would love to see the Golden Lion restored on Digbeth high street, it is insane to expect the council to be able to enforce that as a planning condition on this development. There is no national policy to support it and it would get thrown out immediately.

This is no attack on you but it is extremely wishful thinking that the council can force that sort of a requirement on a developer. And with the sorts of budget cuts happening at the organisations you mention, you would be hardpressed to find any even being able to allocate a fraction of the resources necessary to restore the building right now, let alone relocate it.

I don't believe it is in anyone's interest to see the building in the state that it is right now, and it certainly isn't in anyone's power to force it back into life either.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!

djay liked this post
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 01:23 AM   #135
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

What does 'start on site later in the summer' mean? I guess it means this year?
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 02:09 AM   #136
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
What does 'start on site later in the summer' mean? I guess it means this year?

WE WISH...still got to fight its way through planning yet, I think we can safely say summer 2016
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #137
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 779

Definitely next year seeing as it's autumn now.
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #138
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
I'm sorry but how is that relevant to the article at all?

The archaeological work is a common planning condition in any area of archaeological interest. This is a power given to them through national planning policy. It will be paid for by the developer and conducted by a private contractor or institution.

Whilst I would love to see the Golden Lion restored on Digbeth high street, it is insane to expect the council to be able to enforce that as a planning condition on this development. There is no national policy to support it and it would get thrown out immediately.

This is no attack on you but it is extremely wishful thinking that the council can force that sort of a requirement on a developer. And with the sorts of budget cuts happening at the organisations you mention, you would be hardpressed to find any even being able to allocate a fraction of the resources necessary to restore the building right now, let alone relocate it.

I don't believe it is in anyone's interest to see the building in the state that it is right now, and it certainly isn't in anyone's power to force it back into life either.
Nothing personal but I think you should try and read people's posts properly, before jumping the gun. I did not state the Council should force the developers/owners to incorporate any thing at all so really don't know why you decided to imagine that up and then argue against it?

I said: "Shame they could not have some how brought the Golden Lion back as part of this scheme with additional funding sought."

The archaeological work is important, I don't doubt that but really, let's say they discovered an ancient Anglo Saxon burial ground... Do you honestly think the development would be shelved? At best it will be removed and placed in a museum, but most likely it will be documented and concreted over where no one can see for another 100 years.

The relevance is in the fact that the Council try to make out they actually care about the heritage of Birmingham when, in my opinion, there are blindingly obvious examples of severe neglect of the city's heritage standing as we speak, exposed, in the rain and damp rotting away. This applies to all Councils for as long as I can remember. And if the Council is "bankrupt", which some people make out, then funding should be sought to preserve the Golden Lion, as other cities and towns do so well. You only have to look at the way Manchester's science and industry museum is free to all and how Birmingham's is now a shadow of its former self and has a high entrance fee which makes it unavailable for many families on a working wage.

For the record, and I'm not going into detail on a public forum, I spent three months looking into grants and funding from local and national organisations and actually spoke to someone from the Council in depth about what was on offer, and who can offer what, to whom and who has already had their shares (even within or connected to the Council). So I have a pretty good idea what is possible and what kind of money has been and possibly still is around for a project like this seeing as it is so important to the city. Because there are so few examples of this architecture left within the city, AND it would have seen action during the Battle of Birmingham in the 17th century.

I think it is a very negative attitude to assume "nothing can be done", where there is a will there is a way and I am sure it isn't going to break Birmingham City Council to relocate or at least save in storage one of the city's oldest surviving buildings, which stood in the original town of Birmingham.

Last edited by Tony Bear; October 7th, 2015 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Removed the comment about DJay patting you on head like a pet monkey.
Old October 7th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #139
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

I remain hopeful that BCC can do something to save the Golden Lion, however, as a famous local historian once told me "Birmingham City Council don't want to know, I have found that they don't care about our heritage". I don't actually think that is true, but I think inaction can be viewed that way sometimes.
Old October 7th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #140
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Tony out of interest are you a member of any heritage bodies in Brum because various organisations are looking for new and active members?
Advertisement