Whiteleys £1bn redevelopment | Bayswater | Demo - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2015, 11:31 AM   #1
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 78181

Whiteleys £1bn redevelopment | Bayswater | Demo

Whiteleys Redevelopment
Bayswater
W2

Official website: http://whiteleysdevelopment.co.uk/

Planning application: Westminster 15/10072/FULL

Development Facts

Developer: Warrior Group | Meyer Bergman

Architect: Foster + Partners

Total floorspace: 79,334m²

Residential units: 103

-
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM   #2
.Adam

Likes (Received): 894

Really got my fingers crossed that they get this right, shopping in London is actually pretty fantastic and this needs to be a leader in the high end shopping sector. Its got the bones for a truly upmarket experience, lets hope they spend the money and do it justice.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 01:41 PM   #3
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 391

Love it! Looks like they will make the front look better and change the ugly backside to look great also.
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2015, 01:44 PM   #4
rjee

Likes (Received): 34

are there any pictures of the current site available?
btw this project looks really promising, I hope it gets a thumbs up...
rjee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 03:30 PM   #5
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjee View Post
are there any pictures of the current site available?
btw this project looks really promising, I hope it gets a thumbs up...
You can browse photos of Whiteleys here.
Old December 1st, 2015, 04:05 PM   #6
thevladski

Likes (Received): 313

I feel old.

I remember being a little kid going to the original Whitleys, and I remember them converting into a mall - which felt disappointing from day 1. The character was ripped out enough it felt like why did they bother.

This feels like an improvement - both in terms of as a building and in terms of urban realm.
thevladski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:07 PM   #7
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 13488

Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:23 PM   #8
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 3564

Queensway is shabby? What world is that writer living in?
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:31 PM   #9
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1705

Queensway is a relatively shabby street. I lived there for a decade and only moved out last year. Many of the surrounding streets are very grand, and Bayswater is generally an expensive area, but the southern end of Queensway has quite a few tatty tourist souvenir shops, and the northern end has charity shops and pound shops. Whiteleys has faded hugely since Westfield opened. Part of the problem is the planners insistence on retail. Imo they should allow most if not all the shops on the street to convert to restaurant use, somewhat like Charlotte Street in Fitzrovia.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Last edited by Langur; March 25th, 2016 at 08:20 PM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #10
Mr Cladding

Heritage bodies put boot into Foster's Whiteleys scheme
Bdonline.co.uk
24th March 2016

Quote:
Plan involves turning west London shopping centre into luxury flats

Heritage groups including Historic England, Save Britain’s Heritage and the Victorian Society are objecting to plans by Foster & Partners to turn the Whiteleys shopping centre in west London into block of luxury flats.

The scheme is due before planners at Westminster council on Tuesday with the council due to rule on whether Whiteleys can be demolished leaving only its stucco façades in Queensway and Porchester Gardens standing.

Historic England has lodged an objection to the plan, particularly the loss of the building’s landmark domes while the Victorian Society has also objected, citing “unjustified harm” to the building, which dates from 1863.
Continued in link
Old March 24th, 2016, 01:59 PM   #11
Hohu

Likes (Received): 117

I like the design, I am also not keen on London being turned into a giant open air museum- especially for fairly average buildings such as what is on this site currently.
Hohu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #12
beastmaster

Likes (Received): 13

I am quite amazed the building was built in 1863, I'm no architectural historian but would have thought it would haven been much later, closer to edwardian times
beastmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #13
DanLondon

Likes (Received): 20

Can't comment too much on th architectural plans as I haven't seen the detail but this scheme is for yet more luxury flats - presumably for foreign buyers.

Why do we let developers do this? Who does it help? I'd prefer either a development with at least some affordable component or for Whiteleys to remain a place which Londoners can use as an amenity (shopping etc) - or even offices which can contribute to society through job creation.
DanLondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #14
SE9
South East Nine

The proposed scheme includes retail and restaurant space.
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:22 PM   #15
Hohu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLondon View Post
Can't comment too much on th architectural plans as I haven't seen the detail but this scheme is for yet more luxury flats - presumably for foreign buyers.

Why do we let developers do this? Who does it help? I'd prefer either a development with at least some affordable component or for Whiteleys to remain a place which Londoners can use as an amenity (shopping etc) - or even offices which can contribute to society through job creation.
"Luxury" is just a word developers put in front of flats to try and disguise the fact they are just flats- it doesn't really mean anything. As for who it helps, everybody if we build enough, every new apartment adds to supply. Contrary to Guardian propaganda stories London actually has incredibly low housing vacancy rates- just 1.7% of total housing stock.
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #16
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 3819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohu View Post
"Luxury" is just a word developers put in front of flats to try and disguise the fact they are just flats- it doesn't really mean anything. As for who it helps, everybody if we build enough, every new apartment adds to supply. Contrary to Guardian propaganda stories London actually has incredibly low housing vacancy rates- just 1.7% of total housing stock.
in london, it means they are going to be extremely expensive.
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #17
Mr Cladding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOTHRILL View Post
Although the term "Luxury Flats" is increasingly been thrown around by left wing types , just like those on the right use the term "immigration". Nothing more than Dog whistle politics.
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #18
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 1052

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
I am quite amazed the building was built in 1863, I'm no architectural historian but would have thought it would haven been much later, closer to edwardian times
The current building is Edwardian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteleys

I remember the first renovation of this department store - well intentioned and expensive, but unsuccessful as the ground floor routes within the building did not lead anywhere. This proposal, at least superficially, appears better considered. The facades and street presence are great.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #19
Hohu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOTHRILL View Post
They ar only expensive because their aren't enough of them, in part because of endless campaigns against development.
Old March 25th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #20
Mr Cladding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohu View Post
They ar only expensive because their aren't enough of them, in part because of endless campaigns against development.
These are developers who intend to developer these for luxury flats. You would need to build thousands of homes cheaply very quickly to achieve what you would like to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bayswater, london, queensway, westminster, whiteleys