Official Birmingham Development Thread 49! - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #21
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3656

And would I be right in thinking that even if it were for a Hotel chain that it might not mean hotel rooms. The hotel could be making use of the conference and banqueting facilities already in place at the council house.
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #22
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

Surely as an office facility it wouldn't be that suitable nowadays. As a banqueting and meeting facility, great. I hope the BMAG is retained and the council move into some nice new offices in the Paradise or Arena developments, would make a lot of sense.
JayPeeDee no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #23
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

I looked at a couple of grand Victorian offices along Colmore Row recently and while very dramatic the ceiling heights and restrictions with the fabric of the building don't make them worthwhile unless making a statement is more important than operating costs. I'm sure they'd keep the debating chamber but there can't be a lot of office space in the council house.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #24
Greenplaces

Likes (Received): 285

CGI (courtesy of Birmigham Post) of a £10M proposal to turn Colmore Row into a "tree lined pedestrian friendly boulevard" and enhance square in front of Snowhill Station.

[Note: Where on earth is that SUV going?]

LocalVernacular, baz2015 liked this post
Greenplaces no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #25
Owd Dog

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
Just been told by a BCC worker that the council are considering leasing out the Council House to a high end hotel brand, is this true?
Morning, Brummyboy!

The council's reviewing all its property holdings and the Council House isn't exempt.

Ostensibly, that's the reason why the museum's trust has been offered only a five-year lease on the galleries.

So, while the council might be playing politics, at least it's doing so in earnest...

Brummyboy92 liked this post
Owd Dog no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:43 AM   #26
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

We did hear a while back that the council house extension could be up for grabs
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #27
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

BUDGET HOTEL GETS GREEN LIGHT IN BIRMINGHAM

Easyhotel at 81-91 John Bright Street...

Quote:
A budget hotel chain has secured planning permission for a new 84-room venue in Birmingham.

easyHotel first revealed its plans to convert 81-91 John Bright Street, which lies 120 metres from the entrance of the newly renovated New Street station, in January.
http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...in-birmingham?
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #28
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1575

Great news, JB Street really has transformed into a great spot.

RalphGuy liked this post
Brummyboy92 no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #29
solihullsuit

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
More clutter..........those 20 signs painted on the roads in the suburbs will suffice. I'd like to get rid of lots of signs and all the barriers in the middle of traffic light crossroads etc.
There was supposedly a drive (no pun intended) to clear away unnecessary clutter / street furniture that was clogging our pavements. But the tram route has produced signs a-plenty - all over the place, thus cluttering the pavements that in many stretches have been widened for greater pedestrian flows.
solihullsuit no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #30
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Cluttering the street with flat signs on top of vertical posts isn't going to be of much use, too many and people ignore them. Some clear floor markings that encourage people to think for themselves would be more appropriate.
JayPeeDee no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #31
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7633

Looks like bagot st could be getting two new neighbours with the car park adjacent likely to be this and phase 2 built too

Unite buys Birmingham site for £40m student development
12:36, 19 MAY 2016 UPDATED 12:54, 19 MAY 2016 BY TAMLYN JONES
Developer and operator adds fifth site to its portfolio in the city with around 600 new rooms due to open in 2019

RalphGuy liked this post
sefton66 no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #32
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4506

Seeing as Eastside Locks has 625 rooms, I would say this new proposal would be on a similar scale.
RalphGuy no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #33
baz2015

Likes (Received): 643

I like the pics of the redevelopment of Snow hill district, looks great.
baz2015 no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #34
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Seeing as Eastside Locks has 625 rooms, I would say this new proposal would be on a similar scale.
The site looks smaller so the scale may be much more.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:26 PM   #35
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14378

I said this over in the Unite thread, but maybe they have brought the Safestore site, as the current store is moving to the new bigger purpose built building on Newtown Middleway, that coupled with the car park is quite a big site, but for that many rooms it would have to be quite high.

There are 656 rooms in the Sanctuary Students - Bagot Street student accom just next to this site, and that's a split over 2 buildings. https://www.sanctuary-students.com/bagot-street/
ReissOmari no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #36
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
I said this over in the Unite thread, but maybe they have brought the Safestore site, as the current store is moving to the new bigger purpose built building on Newtown Middleway, that coupled with the car park is quite a big site, but for that many rooms it would have to be quite high.

There are 656 rooms in the Sanctuary Students - Bagot Street student accom just next to this site, and that's a split over 2 buildings. https://www.sanctuary-students.com/bagot-street/
It can accommodate 656 students. I assume some rooms are double if not all rooms are these days as single bed rooms were on the way out as i was leaving uni. So i assume it is one per room.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #37
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post

Any chance it could be Vesey Street/Lancaster Gate, that site is dying for a building!!
nigeman no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #38
nigeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenplaces View Post
CGI (courtesy of Birmigham Post) of a £10M proposal to turn Colmore Row into a "tree lined pedestrian friendly boulevard" and enhance square in front of Snowhill Station.

]

Colmore Row is a classy street and I like the plan to "green" it up and improve the pedestrian environment, that said does it include public transport too.... If you take out Colmore Row to traffic what happens to every street that leads off it ie: Lionel Street, Church Street Newhall Street, Waterloo Street etc..... Colmore Row is the main feeder road that provides the life and "vitality" to this whole area. Take out the traffic and potentially you could ruin the culture of the whole area.
This needs carefully thinking out, I love the current vibe of Colmore Row in its present form, it just needs the street environment and experience to be improved.
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #39
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7726

JCB's were on the Sparkhill Baths site (Stratford Road) when I was on the bus past it earlier today. Hasn't been any activity there since the old baths got pulled down late last year.

So far only digging up the soil piles so far.
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:45 AM   #40
nigeman

There's definitely some activity and JCB's on site at Bagot Street phase 2 student accomodation now too, Watkins Jones signage on the fencing.

Closed Thread