Birmingham 2022 | Commonwealth Games - Page 138 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:57 PM   #2741
Pat Mustard

Likes (Received): 27

Now confirmed that the Rugby 7's won't be at Villa Park and will be in Coventry instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/49563621
Pat Mustard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #2742
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7755

India still pushing for shooting to be involved, the international shooting federation has now offered to share the cost of hosting their inclusion

Can’t it just be added to the games?

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westm...onwealth-games
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 07:17 PM   #2743
dcsmithers

Likes (Received): 488

Birmingham City Council has posted an update to the design of the Alexander Stadium, available here. This is response to questions raised about the design during the consultation. There is only one new image in the leaflet--an elevation of the west stand--but the answers to questions are interesting.

There will be a planning application in the coming weeks, with an aim to get planning done by early 2020.
dcsmithers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2019, 07:26 PM   #2744
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2654

ITs a shame they didn’t take the opportunity in redesigning the lights to create something more unique. It’s a decent effort but it’s smells of being cheap.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 07:37 PM   #2745
dcsmithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
ITs a shame they didnít take the opportunity in redesigning the lights to create something more unique. Itís a decent effort but itís smells of being cheap.
That's because it is cheap--there is only so much £72 million (which is what they are spending) can buy, sadly, and that has to cover not just the stadium but also the landscaping and access roads. I think that the overlay will make it look good for the Commonwealth Games, and it's not a bad legacy design. I look forward to going over the planning application when it's published.
Old September 14th, 2019, 01:31 AM   #2746
djay
The promised land

It doesn’t need to look cheap even if it is.

ReissOmari liked this post
Old September 15th, 2019, 10:59 PM   #2747
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7755

The e lights at edgbaston are a nice touch shame we didnít have a Simple B logo we could have adopted in the floodlights
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 05:57 PM   #2748
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14529

https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/...m/Menus/PL.xml

Quote:
Application Number: 2019/07968/PA
Application Type: Full Planning
Site Address: Birmingham Alexander Stadium Walsall Road Perry Barr Birmingham B42 2LR
Proposal: Hybrid planning application to include full planning permission to provide a new western stadium, increase seating capacity to 18,000, relay athletics track, provide new warm up track, a new throwing area, sports lighting, provision of office/teaching accommodation, landscaping and all associated works. An outline application for Commonwealth Games 'overlay' to include temporary seating up to 40,000 spectators, athlete drop-off/pick-up area, temporary bus mall, various compounds and upgrade/provision of access road, all matters reserved

dcsmithers, djay, RalphGuy, Brum X liked this post
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 06:38 PM   #2749
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14529

Haven't got the energy to post all the lil nuggets of info within the app, but a Q2 2020 construction start stood out

edit:

Last edited by PerpetualBrum; October 10th, 2019 at 07:03 PM.
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 06:50 PM   #2750
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4970

Dontt have any time for stadiums that leave half of its spectators to the elements especially in this country.

Its going to look shit on TV when nobody wants to sit outside in the pissing rain

Last edited by Birmingham; October 11th, 2019 at 10:24 AM.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 07:34 PM   #2751
dcsmithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBrum View Post
Haven't got the energy to post all the lil nuggets of info within the app, but a Q2 2020 construction start stood out

edit:
The schedule is...ambitious. They also don't seem to factor in a test event on the new track nor the time needed to "dress" the venue, install broadcast cameras and studios and to stage the ceremony dress rehearsals. A 12-week overlay install time also implies a scaffolding-based temporary seating rake, with toilets and concessions in "pavilions" to the rear. It will be fine for the Games and on television though I still wonder how it will look.
Old October 10th, 2019, 07:36 PM   #2752
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Don‚€™t have any time for stadiums that leave half of its customers to the elements in this country.

It‚€™s going to look shit on TV when nobody wants to sit outside in the pissing rain
I kind of wish we held out for 2026 now, and IF we had won it, we wouldn't be rushing, Sprint wouldn't be half arsed, this stadium wouldn't be half arsed, the Flyover probably could have stayed with the road underneath worked out and we may have got a purpose built Cycle track. I really hope it all goes to plan because if it doesn't if just gives the rest of the country another reason to laugh at us.

Sidcow, Rijowhi, sefton66 liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 09:36 PM   #2753
djay
The promised land

I was told that concessions were going to be in the bowl seating.

3 or 2 of the last CWGs over the last two decades had open seating on one part of the stadium I believe. Manchester being one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
I kind of wish we held out for 2026 now, and IF we had won it, we wouldn't be rushing, Sprint wouldn't be half arsed, this stadium wouldn't be half arsed, the Flyover probably could have stayed with the road underneath worked out and we may have got a purpose built Cycle track. I really hope it all goes to plan because if it doesn't if just gives the rest of the country another reason to laugh at us.
The flyover had been earmarked to go way before the games. It’s been a plan of the Council since 2010. Sprint would still have been halfarsed because all the residents would still have objected.

Old October 10th, 2019, 11:02 PM   #2754
dcsmithers

Two new photos, noting that the design is not yet complete:

The planning application has 161 associated documents. If you want an overview of which is which start with the planning statement (document 264876-ARUP-ZZ-ZZ-RP-T-0001); pages 3-7 of this has a list of the documents and what they represent. There is no one Design and Access Statement; the design evolution document is divided into 7 parts.

The statement summarises what the application covers in a box on page 2:

Quote:
Full planning permission for the redevelopment of the Alexander Stadium, to create a stadium with seating for up to 18,000 spectators through retention of the current East Stand and erection of a replacement West Stand following demolition (under separate consent) of the three existing stands; the new stand to incorporate offices and ancillary accommodation below and accommodation to facilitate the occupation and use of the site by the Birmingham City University Sports Science faculty; re-laying track to IAAF Category 1, 400m 9-lane competition track; the provision of new, uncovered, seating on embankments to the north and south ends of the stadium; stadium sports lighting; the construction of a new warm up track with sports lighting, a throwing area, a new northern plaza to provide access to the northern stand.

Outline planning permission for the Commonwealth Games ĎOverlayí elements (including temporary uncovered additional seating, to increase capacity up to 40,000 spectators, in the northern and southern stands, an athlete load/drop-off zone, a spectator plaza, a temporary bus mall and compounds to facilitate broadcasting, ceremonies and operations), and an upgraded access road from A453 Aldridge Road, including new permanent section of rear stadium access road for Commonwealth Games and Legacy Stadium (with restricted access).
Document 264876-ARUP-ZZ-ZZ-DR-A-9006 has a plan of the stadium site in Games mode. What stood out to me is that the allotments are outside the proposed security perimeter.

Last edited by dcsmithers; October 10th, 2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old October 11th, 2019, 01:13 AM   #2755
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 530

Does 18000 seating include provision for uncovered seating to the north and south or is that extra ?
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2019, 01:30 AM   #2756
dcsmithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppmb80 View Post
Does 18000 seating include provision for uncovered seating to the north and south or is that extra ?
That's extra--22,000 seats will be temporary during the Games around the curves.
Old October 11th, 2019, 08:02 AM   #2757
JRB1234

Likes (Received): 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
We wouldnít have got 2026, as Liverpool would of had 2022 instead and we would have missed the boat again. This country has a great track record in staging large sporting events and I donít see this one being any different.. remember the CWG in Birmingham will be representing the whole of the U.K. The government will want this to go well.

I think the stadium will be fine.. we as a city do not want to be left with an unused white elephant. I personally feel that what Birmingham is doing should be a template for future cities hosting th CWG/Olympics etc... Affordable to stage, using existing facilities where possible instead of flashy expensive architecture barely used afterwards.

I have to also disagree about the flyover. I worked in this area for years and the whole area around and including the flyover is horrible. The council have a duty to improve this for the people who live and work in the area and not just the people who spend a couple of mins driving through the area twice and day.

Can I just add I am finding the forums lately very depressing to read... there is an awful lot of city bashing/comparisons to other cities and Ďletís blame BCC for everythingí attitude. I have to say I am quite perplexed by this.. the city has never seen so much development and thatís still not enough for a lot of forumers. A lot of the criticisms of BCC are misguided at best/ignorant at worst. I have read quite a few making accusations that the council is backward thinking/not proactive and then the same people moan and complain about anything the city council tries to achieve... CWG/Sprint being the latest example.

Unfortunately it is usually the misinformed fake news loving residents of our city and many cities around the world who hold their respective cities back by objecting to things they know nothing about... and donít want to know much about either. I love Birmingham... and yes it doesnít get everything right, but letís have a bit of positivity and recognise all the great things that are happening right now and in the years to come.
Old October 11th, 2019, 08:10 AM   #2758
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsmithers View Post
That's extra--22,000 seats will be temporary during the Games around the curves.
My view is that is covered by the overlay outline app.

I meant the full application for the permanent seating, I wondered if the 18000 includes the lower level north and south seating undercover, as the application reads as if its 18000 just for the combined new west stand and the existing east stand ?
Old October 11th, 2019, 10:19 AM   #2759
dcsmithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppmb80 View Post
My view is that is covered by the overlay outline app.

I meant the full application for the permanent seating, I wondered if the 18000 includes the lower level north and south seating undercover, as the application reads as if its 18000 just for the combined new west stand and the existing east stand ?
The 18,000 does include the seats in the lower-level seating bowl to the north and south that you can see in the legacy renders. The existing East stand seats 5.000 and the new main stand will not be that much bigger on its own.
Old October 11th, 2019, 10:41 AM   #2760
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsmithers View Post
The 18,000 does include the seats in the lower-level seating bowl to the north and south that you can see in the legacy renders. The existing East stand seats 5.000 and the new main stand will not be that much bigger on its own.
Ok thanks for the confirmation, still looks a decent facility not to be sniffed at and at least longer term they can add temporary stands for bigger championships etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement