Commonwealth Games 2022 - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:58 PM   #21
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum Boy View Post
I have re-posted this, now in the correct thread.

I think there are 3 good options.

Option 1, Construction of a brand new 40,000 plus seater stadium within the city centre. An Ideal location would be Southside and future legacy could be adapted as new home for Birmingham City. The cost of City of Manchester Stadium was 112 million so the cost would be similar to this.

Option 2, Increase the capacity of Alexandra Stadium from 12,800 to 40,000. Future legacy to underpin the stadiums position as the UK’s home of athletics. Alexander Stadium has recently undergone a £12.5 million expansion and refurbishment, including the building of a 5,000 seater stand opposite the current main stand. The estimated cost to increase the capacity to 40,000 would be around 40 million.

Option 3, Adapt Edgbaston Stadium as a temporary athletics stadium. Future legacy to create the biggest UK cricket ground and home for Warwickshire County Cricket Club plus hosting future ICC tournaments and England Internationals. The pavilion end on the south side of the ground was completely redeveloped between 2010 and 2011 at a cost of £32 million. The estimated cost to increase the capacity to 40,000 and add a temporary track would be around 32 million.

So having reviewed all the options my personal preference would be Option 3 because of the following;-.

1. The location of the Edgbaston Stadium in my opinion is the most beautiful part of Birmingham and would give only positive vibes about the city.
2. Better transport links are already planned including possible metro extension, opening of the camp hill line and new station at Mosely.
3. The close proximity to possible 3,500 bedroom athletes village at The Vale and additional halls locally in Selly Oak.
4. Available land around the ground and next to Cannon Hill Park where a Velodrome and any other venues required could be constructed.
5. Cheapest cost and best future legacy.

Finally regarding the Aquatics Centre. I’m sure the new pool at the University of Birmingham could be developed to increase seating capacity and add a diving pool at a fraction of the cost to construct another new pool from scratch.

The whole project of hosting the games and providing high quality facilities can be very affordable when you put your mind to it.
You'll never justify a 40,000 athletics-only venue. Why do you think the Alex is only the size it is now and why the London Olympic stadium was given to a football club?
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:54 PM   #22
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2628

This thread is lost in fantasy land i think lol.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:32 PM   #23
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
This thread is lost in fantasy land i think lol.
To a point. We need a velodrome and a proper pool for sure. These will have to be in town somewhere, although I agree with the excellent points made by Billsmothers that what Southside needs is small clustered streets, not sprawling squares with no framing.

What we need is a redeveloped Alexander Stadium that can hold ~15,000 spectators in a state-of-the-art facility, perhaps with temporary seating to get it up to 30k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:53 PM   #24
djay
The promised land

I think we might just push a velodrome but again i think we might be stuck for a future use considering there is one an hour away (Derby) which is probably using a similar catchment we would. However, i think the smaller capacity would rule it out of being used for the games and i doubt we would stretch to London or Manchester.

Again though, i think we get stung with the future use issue. It would need to be multi use and be able to hold concerts, but in Birmingham it would struggle on the latter as we have really good venues which are better suited to concerts.

I really think the pool has a good chance of going to North Birmingham to balance out provision.

The more i think about it, our games will probably be a number of temporary venues because honestly, i cannot see provision stacking up unless it replaces existing facilities.

Old October 4th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #25
Brum Boy

Likes (Received): 214

deleted

Last edited by Brum Boy; October 4th, 2016 at 05:54 PM.
Brum Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #26
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1964

Couldn't the velodrome not be sited inside the NIA? Is the cycle lap bigger than the indoor athletics? If so all the other indoor dry events can be inside the ICC and NEC.

Sandblast, Brum Boy, Rijowhite liked this post
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #27
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Good point about the velodrome being inside the NIA / Barclaycard / whatever it may soon be called!!!

Will be a huge audience for indoor cycling events - up to 12,000 in this venue. The Manchester Velodrome only holds 3,500 spectators.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #28
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14464

A velodrome needs to measure a certain distance. How big is the NIA? I'm looking at a Google Image of the inside and it looks like a considerable amount of front row seats would need to be removed to incorporate the banked tracks. Not sure, would need a tape measure Good shout though

PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #29
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Indoor sprints are 60m. Working the assumption that a regular 400m track has two 100m straights, that means an indoor track is 240m. Velodrome is 250m, but I think it might have sharper corners?
Old October 4th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #30
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
Indoor sprints are 60m. Working the assumption that a regular 400m track has two 100m straights, that means an indoor track is 240m. Velodrome is 250m, but I think it might have sharper corners?
Spectator views would be rubbish though. Interesting that Manchester is so small. This would indicate that Derby might be out the question though as that only has a 1700 capacity.

Best chance of a velodrome i think would be to give it to the unis in a joint funding deal. Most likely BCU and Aston. Neither of which is a particularly sporting uni but i know the pool in Manchester was funded in a similar way.

Old October 4th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #31
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Birmingham Uni would be the most interested as they are by far the most sporting.
Old October 5th, 2016, 12:26 AM   #32
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
Birmingham Uni would be the most interested as they are by far the most sporting.
Indeed but they couldn't fund it (they have the money but probably wouldn't want to) and use it to capacity by themselves i don't think. Plus they took the 100m pool for the city when the city couldn't fund it themselves. That is why i suggested BCU and Aston. Stick it just outside the ring road where land is cheap etc. Can never rule it out though, Birmingham do all sorts of things you wouldn't expect, like deciding to build and run a school out of no where.

This is where the dilemmas come to play for me, as you also have to look at the economic benefit of such things and Selly Oak is undergoing huge investment. The Council has invested a lot into this area also.

The Council has a choice of fuelling investment further by using the games or focusing their investment to somewhere else to kick start that area (As Manchester did in Eastlands). In the UK, the bids that seem to get supported are those that regenerate or ironically, the ones the Government doesn't have to put much money into at the start and end up putting loads in anyway.

Old October 5th, 2016, 12:34 AM   #33
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2111

Wolves uni has a sports campus in Walsall, they might be interested too. We also have a formula 3 team fyi
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:31 PM   #34
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 473

Not hearing much about the bid. I'd have liked to have thought they'd be trying to drum up support.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 02:07 AM   #35
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

NIA velodrome wouldn't work due to lack of access to central floor (which is solid). The only way to do it (ignoring size issues would be to break through and create a new modifiable floor. I can't see that happening and anyway, I'd much rather have a new velodrome to accommodate the huge rise in cycling participation and they can be designed to be brilliant live venues for gigs etc
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:44 PM   #36
Brum X

Likes (Received): 16991

I would expect to see alot of movement on this during 2017.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:21 AM   #37
Rijowhite

Likes (Received): 300

London Olympics experts to help Brum Commonwealth Games bid...

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news...-games-experts-brought-12457142

Brummyboy92, RalphGuy, Sandblast liked this post
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #38
djay
The promised land

Word on the street is that Durban may not be hosting 2022.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/oth...es-host-status

This creates two issues for 2026... either an existing city with facilities (not Birmingham) will host it... this means in the UK it could be Manchester (possibly), London and Glasgow. Or the games will be cancelled. Either way i think the game would be likely to return to Durban in 2026 which kicks Birmingham back by 4 years.

In relation to the comment from brummad I can't see us having anything other than a temporary velodrome at the NIA but then you need to think of swimming and gymnastics which require large venues, or farming cycling off to Derby. The latter would be my option unless they build a temporary velodrome similar to the London 2012 temporary venues elsewhere, like NEC.

Greenplaces liked this post

Last edited by djay; February 18th, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old February 18th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #39
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 473

Just curious why should Durban get the next edition of they can't host the one they are given?
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #40
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
Just curious why should Durban get the next edition of they can't host the one they are given?
Timing i suppose. They would by then have the infrastructure by then and 2026 hasn't been decided yet so the easiest thing would be to bump them 4 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement