Commonwealth Games 2022 - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #41
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
Just curious why should Durban get the next edition of they can't host the one they are given?
I would have thought this the best thing to do. If they can't meet the requirements for 2022 why would anyone think they could manage 2026?
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #42
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1974

Kick in the teeth if you know who had to step in for 2022......would screw up our plans.

On a positive - the NIA looked class today hosting the Indoors.
Old February 18th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #43
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPeeDee View Post
I would have thought this the best thing to do. If they can't meet the requirements for 2022 why would anyone think they could manage 2026?
Its more the infrastructure won't be ready in time. Not that they couldn't meet the requirements. I think there is a slight distinction here.

In any case, these type of stories always happen but for this to be coming out so early is alarming.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:22 PM   #44
k5villan

Likes (Received): 1769

from the villa fan consultancy -

Q. What is the Club’s attitude towards the city’s Commonwealth Games bid?
KW. I met with the Commonwealth Games group to look at the feasibility of the games in the city. We have lots of games experience in the management team here at Villa Park: people who have worked on previous games. We are fully supportive. There won’t be a new stadium built, that’s clear, and they’ve asked us what they could use Villa Park for.

There is possibly going to be a major redevelopment project which I’m calling ‘The Sports Quarter’. The city and the club are looking to put our land assets together to build offices, residential and commercial areas that would work for sports governing bodies. That’s ongoing and that could be the legacy from the Commonwealth Games.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:53 AM   #45
Rijowhite

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5villan View Post

KW. I met with the Commonwealth Games group to look at the feasibility of the games in the city. We have lots of games experience in the management team here at Villa Park: people who have worked on previous games. We are fully supportive. There won’t be a new stadium built, that’s clear, and they’ve asked us what they could use Villa Park for.

There is possibly going to be a major redevelopment project which I’m calling ‘The Sports Quarter’. The city and the club are looking to put our land assets together to build offices, residential and commercial areas that would work for sports governing bodies. That’s ongoing and that could be the legacy from the Commonwealth Games.
Thanks for posting, the Thumbs up is for that reason alone.

Is it me or does it sound like Birmingham is trying to do this on the cheap? I'm not sure the ambition is really there to bring the Commonwealth Games to the 'Second City'. I hope to be proved wrong...
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 08:16 AM   #46
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 473

I think it has to be done on the cheap. But how I read this is that there won't be a new stadium for Aston Villa.

It doesn't mean that Alexander Stadium won't be rebuilt, which I believe to be the more likely.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:15 PM   #47
k5villan

thats how i read it too, we wont get a new stadium but we will develop large parts of VP and the infrastructure

i personally think thats a selling point for the bid, we arent building a 60k seater stadium and a sports complex next to the NEC, we're going to upgrade something, we're going to get villa to upgrade and refurb VP and build a leisure complex, we're going to get edgebaston to do some works, we're going to get someone to do something else, the "sports quarter" bit of it sounds interesting

if the council said to villa we'll give you a grant and permission to build an athletes village on your land which after the games have taken place can be modified to be whatever you want them to be then thats a no brainer for both parties IMO
k5villan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:06 PM   #48
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2112

I would like to see some redevelopment of Villa Park if we were to get the games. There were plans about 10 years ago for that concrete monstrosity to be rebuilt. Any further expansion would require the purchase of houses on Holte Road as they did at Anfield.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:26 PM   #49
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1639

Interesting avenue of discussion. I seem to remember Dr Xia saying a few months back he had held some encouraging discussions with BCC so it begins to add up. Theres got to be something in it for him to have taken Villa on in the current state of the club. How much land does Villa actually own around VP? There is quite a bit of land behind the North Stand and a smaller patch of land behind the Holte End too but other than that there doesn't to be that much obvious land. I like what Al suggested, maybe buy up land on Holte Rd and build another Trinity Road style stand alongside a new North Stand.
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:35 PM   #50
k5villan

theres little plots of villa owned land all the place i think, at the same meeting they said that it was road infrastructure that was holding up the north stand development which sounds like bollocks to me

a man with a degree in urban planning from harvard buying a club who owns a chunk of land in a city that is open for development...there certainly sounds like something in it, everything is in the timing though, we have a partnership with genting, stab city is going down the pan, BCC start relaxing things because we chuck some money behind their bid

Rijowhite liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:13 PM   #51
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5villan View Post

My post from the other day in the main forum:

Re: 'Entertainment City'. As a Villa fan, allow me to point out that any link between Aston Villa and any form of entertainment except comedy is rather tenuous at present.

Can't see us moving. There is scope at Villa Park for expansion/improvement should we ever turn things around, and it's a great location anyway. Two railway stations and Spaghetti Junction on the doorstep; plenty of space around the ground; a Jacobean mansion, a beautiful 15th century church and a sizeable park right outside.

If anything, a concentration of MORE sports facilities would be a better idea, to add to the football ground, the park, the leisure centre, the 5-a-side facility and Salford Park. Then there's Alexander Stadium and the dog track up the road.

A partnership between Villa/Recon, the council, the Department of Culture, Media and Sport and perhaps the King Edward Foundation and Aston University could deliver much-needed facilities that could create employment and perhaps help turn people away from the gang culture that, while not all-pervading, is perhaps more prevalent here than in the rest of Brum. Something like what Man City have done with the Eastlands Campus.

I should add that I wouldn't want or expect the council to put money into any facilities that would benefit Villa, just to help with planning etc and then maybe help run things to benefit community use. They are skint and shouldn't be in the business of financially supporting billionaire businessmen or private companies.

k5villan liked this post
Astonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 08:20 PM   #52
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

It's disappointing that after the recent Commonwealth Games in Manchester and the Olympics in London - both receiving nice new stadiums, velodromes and aquatic facilities amongst others - that any games held in Birmingham would be done on the cheap.

Perhaps we should find a suitable school field and paint an athletics track on it? Hold the swimming in Edgbaston Reservoir? Gotta be a nice skate park for the cycling? Football and hockey held in a League 1 stadium?

Ridiculous.

Rijowhite liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2017, 11:09 PM   #53
djay
The promised land

Quote:
It's disappointing that after the recent Commonwealth Games in Manchester and the Olympics in London - both receiving nice new stadiums, velodromes and aquatic facilities amongst others - that any games held in Birmingham would be done on the cheap.

Perhaps we should find a suitable school field and paint an athletics track on it? Hold the swimming in Edgbaston Reservoir? Gotta be a nice skate park for the cycling? Football and hockey held in a League 1 stadium?

Ridiculous.
This is a tad disingenuous JPD. For one (unless you know otherwise) no one knows what the bit will be.

I know quite a bit about what is going on behind the scenes. There is an issue from what i can see in that there is no demand for a velo or 100m swimming pool and no one who can take a 60k seater stadium.

Now in my opinion the Council/Bid Team solve these and everything else is relatively easy. The biggest issue though is the stadium. If needed you could build a temporary pool or even a temporary velo. You can build a temporary venue but truth be told, Alex is terribly located, requires a 3 sided rebuild or it will have a huge incoherent and ugly [some temporary] stand that wouldn't look very nice on international tv and i cannot see the city going for that.

Demand could be created for a pool by locating it in the right area of the city. Derby has a Velo relatively close and once HS2 is here that will be 3 within an hour of the city... i cannot see this ever being feasible.

So the city solve these three issues and it is a go.

Old February 24th, 2017, 01:59 AM   #54
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

I don't buy this "no demand for a 60k seater stadium". No demand for a velodrome, or double olympic swimming pool venue or any of the other sporting legacies? Manchester's games was a great success story, and so its impossible for Birmingham to do likewise?

I agree some of these can be temporary. However Birmingham is the home of UK Athletics, the country needs a proper athletics stadium, but yes its use needs to be considered outside of athletics meets. The city is at the heart of the rail and road networks, an ideal place for a new national athletics stadium (the country doesn't have a decent athletics venue), a smaller version of the Stade de France with convertible athletics/football/rugby facilities. Now you know it makes sense, but is highly unlikely to happen. I agree the stadium is everything, but the bid team need to think big. I can just see it flopping massively and us ending up with 2 temporary scaffold stands at Alexander Stadium and loads of buses running visitors from town through Lozells, Handsworth and Perry Barr. If that's good enough to win the bid...

Rijowhite, Victorian liked this post
Old February 24th, 2017, 09:16 AM   #55
Rijowhite

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
I don't buy this "no demand for a 60k seater stadium". No demand for a velodrome, or double olympic swimming pool venue or any of the other sporting legacies? Manchester's games was a great success story, and so its impossible for Birmingham to do likewise?

I agree some of these can be temporary. However Birmingham is the home of UK Athletics, the country needs a proper athletics stadium, but yes its use needs to be considered outside of athletics meets. The city is at the heart of the rail and road networks, an ideal place for a new national athletics stadium (the country doesn't have a decent athletics venue), a smaller version of the Stade de France with convertible athletics/football/rugby facilities. Now you know it makes sense, but is highly unlikely to happen. I agree the stadium is everything, but the bid team need to think big. I can just see it flopping massively and us ending up with 2 temporary scaffold stands at Alexander Stadium and loads of buses running visitors from town through Lozells, Handsworth and Perry Barr. If that's good enough to win the bid...
Exactly. Birmingham needs to think BIG, otherwise I don't see us winning this bid. As I said earlier is the City even serious about winning? I'm not convinced.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #56
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Sadly these things are subject to massive cost constraints. Now that the London Olympics are finished anyway. However the bid team should remain ambitious and rely on the government to bail them out like Manchester did with the Commonwealth Games. Glasgow received bailouts too. Hope Birmingham isn't trying to be honest.
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #57
k5villan

if the birmingham bid is based on reusing existing facilities and spending millions in conjunction with local businesses improving them and ensuing ownership and use for them afterwards rather than spending billions on white elephants then i think they can market that in a really good way

its not a cheap way of doing it its a cost effective way of doing it

and i personally would rather the council said to a multi billionaire chinese businessman looking to invest in the city you do what you want mate than went cap in hand to the government, get the dr involved, get genting involved etc

Kingsheathen liked this post
Old February 24th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #58
djay
The promised land

Quote:

Well you can tell me where the demand for a 60k seat athletics stadium is then? Because London have converted to football with athletics a temporary use, Manchester converted, Glasgow used a temporary conversion. This pretty much shows there is no demand for a 60k athletics stadium alone. A larger multi use stadium yes but who would fill it? We all know what happened to Don valley at only 25k. The only high capacity stadium for athletics in the UK that is regularly used for that purpose is Crystal Palace at 20k capacity and is shared for rugby.

I cannot see how there is demand for 4 velodromes within hr of Birmingham either. A velodrome will need to be multi use at least for it to survive. Swimming Pool is a little different there just isn't demand for one in the south of the city. You could build a pool in the north of the city quite easily but where do you do it?

I am pretty sure Manchester ended up with 5 permanent venues if i remember correctly. CMS, Table Tennis, Aquatics Centre, Velodrome and Squash Centre. You could if you wanted, include the warm up track which is now the regional athletics stadium with a 6k capacity.

Old February 24th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #59
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2112

With the fans at West Ham's stadium being so far away from the pitch, could they not have built it for purpose as a football stadium and put up a temporary platform above the bottom rows of seats for the olympics field events to be held on? The top tier should have been temporary, not the bottom.

A 50,000+ capacity stadium for Birmingham City, a rugby club that is accessible to fans and possible use for American Football would be great.
BlackCountryAl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #60
k5villan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post

A 50,000+ capacity stadium for Birmingham City