Commonwealth Games 2022 - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2017, 10:32 PM   #101
dcsmithers

Likes (Received): 482

If 2022 needs a stand-in host Birmingham probably has more facilities already in place, as I said at #85 above. Given that budgets are still tight Birmingham would have to make an effort to convince the government that the games were economical so that it will underwrite the operating costs of the event. Provided the Midland Metro is extended as planned, a quick venue plan could look like the following.

Competition Venues
• Ceremonies - St Andrews (with tram extension through Digbeth)
• Athletics - Alexander Stadium (with temporary seating, warm-up track and overlay)
• Gymnastics - Barclaycard Arena
• Weightlifting - ICC Hall 1
• Judo/Wrestling -ICC Hall 3
• Boxing - Wolverhampton Civic Hall
• Rugby Sevens - Molineux Stadium (or Villa Park)
• Cricket - Warwickshire County Cricket Club
• Triathlon - Sutton Park
• Cycling (Track) - Derby Arena
• Cycling (Road) – Birmingham City Centre
• Squash - Edgbaston Priory Club
• Bowls - Edgbaston Priory Club?
• Hockey – University of Birmingham (with temporary stands)
• Netball – NEC
• Table Tennis – NEC
• Badminton - NEC
• Shooting – Bisley (as in 2002)
• Aquatics - ?

Non-Competition Venues:
• Games Village - University of Birmingham
• MPC – ICC Hall 4
• IBC - NEC

The main missing thing is an aquatics centre, which could be an ask; a design and site already exist, IIRC. Derby Arena is the furthest venue in the Midlands; Bisley is a stretch but there is precedent.

Sandblast, Greenplaces liked this post
dcsmithers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #102
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Aquatics ...... Sheffield or Manchester!
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 07:54 AM   #103
Rijowhite

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
Aquatics ...... Sheffield or Manchester!
Sheffield it is then. A fellow City with image issues but actually doing fairly well...

Being serious even the London Olympics had events outside the City. Would be good to have our own Aquatics area though.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #104
dcsmithers

From insidethegames is looks as if Durban is pulling out...
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #105
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2616

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsmithers View Post
From insidethegames is looks as if Durban is pulling out...
Hate to tell you i told you so... again i drop hints and get no likes lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Word on the street is that Durban may not be hosting 2022.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/oth...es-host-status

This creates two issues for 2026... either an existing city with facilities (not Birmingham) will host it... this means in the UK it could be Manchester (possibly), London and Glasgow. Or the games will be cancelled. Either way i think the game would be likely to return to Durban in 2026 which kicks Birmingham back by 4 years.

In relation to the comment from brummad I can't see us having anything other than a temporary velodrome at the NIA but then you need to think of swimming and gymnastics which require large venues, or farming cycling off to Derby. The latter would be my option unless they build a temporary velodrome similar to the London 2012 temporary venues elsewhere, like NEC.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

BlackCountryAl, dcsmithers liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #106
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4500

Don`t just hint djay, BLAB!!

Tell us everything.

We`ll give you lots of likes.

Rijowhite, Brum X liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #107
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2616

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Don`t just hint djay, BLAB!!

Tell us everything.

We`ll give you lots of likes.
Hahahah.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #108
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 186

Liverpool have already thrown their hat in the ring to replace Durban if they pull out.
Old March 12th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #109
dcsmithers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
Liverpool have already thrown their hat in the ring to replace Durban if they pull out.
They have not really, if you look at the Liverpool forum. On a practical level Liverpool would have a lot more to build than Birmingham--as I noted earlier, the only new venue Birmingham would really need is an aquatics centre, especially if the University is used as the Games Village.

The main issue would be what Birmingham would gain from hosting the event in a compressed timescale. (Apart from the 12-day party!). AFAICS, the "hard" legacies could be the aquatics centre (if built); expedited Metro extensions (to Edgbaston and Eastside); public realm enhancements; other public transport improvements linked to bus and rail devolution; and perhaps some terminal renovations at Birmingham Airport. The "soft" legacy of promoting Birmingham should not be underrated, though.
Old March 12th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #110
Sandblast

Birmingham would not be ready for a 2022 Games, there would be too much to get ready and finish off. The City Centre will be in turmoil around this date with half of the roads dug up as the City Centre tram extensions will not be finished, plus a half finished HS2 station with no trains running to it!

Any plans for an upgrade to the Alexander Athletics Stadium would take 2 or 3 years to finalise, and 2 or 3 years to build ..... let alone a spanking brand new aquatics centre .... with no site for this even earmarked.

I'm a proud optimistic Brummie, but the city would fall flat on it's face if it bid for the 2022 Games. It's not going to happen.

Rijowhite liked this post
Old March 12th, 2017, 07:02 PM   #111
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1627

I think London will end up stepping forward for the 2022 games. Whether this will affect the bidding of Liverpool and Birmingham for the games thereafter I don't know.
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #112
dcsmithers

I would not be so pessimistic. Regarding the Metro, the Edgbaston extension is supposed to be complete by 2021; Eastside by 2022/23. The city centre extensions will be completed by then, and a hard deadline could focus minds. The aquatics centre already has a design and a site close to the Barclaycard Arena. The Alexander Stadium would be supplemented by temporary seating, as provided by Nussli or Arena Group. (This would just be for athletics; ceremonies would likely be elsewhere.) This is all feasible and possible to plan for in the next five years.

The main questions to my mind are 1) whether Birmingham actually wants to (given the scale of Council cuts it could be seen as a distraction); and 2) whether the Government can be convinced to underwrite the running costs of the event.

morestoreysplease liked this post
Old March 12th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #113
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsmithers View Post
They have not really, if you look at the Liverpool forum. On a practical level Liverpool would have a lot more to build than Birmingham--as I noted earlier, the only new venue Birmingham would really need is an aquatics centre, especially if the University is used as the Games Village.

The main issue would be what Birmingham would gain from hosting the event in a compressed timescale. (Apart from the 12-day party!). AFAICS, the "hard" legacies could be the aquatics centre (if built); expedited Metro extensions (to Edgbaston and Eastside); public realm enhancements; other public transport improvements linked to bus and rail devolution; and perhaps some terminal renovations at Birmingham Airport. The "soft" legacy of promoting Birmingham should not be underrated, though.
I was just repeating what was said on a news report, it would be nice if Birmingham could get it, but I'm not holding out much hope.
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #114
Sandblast

I wouldn't want a cobbled together half cocked bid. 2026 or later would be much better, and the city aesthetically would be in a better state by then - and possibly financially too!

Rijowhite, RalphGuy liked this post
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #115
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2709

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
I think London will end up stepping forward for the 2022 games. Whether this will affect the bidding of Liverpool and Birmingham for the games thereafter I don't know.
Disagree. The whole point of the Commonwealth Games is to host them in less obvious places.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #116
Assa

Likes (Received): 149

Given the lack of interst in hosting from places outside the UK I wonder if we should just move to a UK host every time going forward? It might mean the scale of the games is reduced so the expense of hosting is realistic but I'm sure there's half a dozen cities across the UK who would want to host if it wasn't bank-breaking. Birmingham, Liverpool, Cardiff, Belfast, Aberdeen & Sheffield would all be viable before we started having to re-visit previous host cities. You could easily get through to 2050 like this. Otherwise I can't see the games surviving beyond a couple more.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #117
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 1627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
Disagree. The whole point of the Commonwealth Games is to host them in less obvious places.
I can't see who else would have all the facilities at such short notice to step in for 2022.
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #118
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4500

Breaking News : Birmingham Post.

Birmingham is gearing up to replace Durban for hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Very interesting article.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #119
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 1161

2026 Commonwealth Games

i see the BBC only mentioned Liverpool showing an interest - I guess I shouldn't be suprised - anywhere north of Watford & south of Manchester doesn't exit in their eyes.

Hopefully Brum can put together a decent bid and bag it!

Rijowhite liked this post
rotundazag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #120
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundazag View Post
i see the BBC only mentioned Liverpool showing an interest - I guess I shouldn't be suprised - anywhere north of Watford & south of Manchester doesn't exit in their eyes.

Hopefully Brum can put together a decent bid and bag it!
Their content is regularly updated to include quotes.

It has since been updated to include "Liverpool and Birmingham have expressed interest" with quotes from South Africa's Sports Minister, a spokesperson from LCC & Ian Ward.

rotundazag liked this post
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement