Commonwealth Games 2022 - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #121
Assa

Likes (Received): 149

Really if Birmingham can't land this there's a serious issue. It's just what the city needs. 2026 would have been ideal timing with HS2 hopefully open by then but if there's a chance for 2022 then we have to take it. With all due respect to Liverpool they don't have the infrastructure already present that Brum does.

morestoreysplease, Rijowhite liked this post
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #122
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Edmonton in Canada may be back in the running.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 02:23 AM   #123
dcsmithers

Likes (Received): 488

Quote:
Birmingham are also expected to confirm shortly that they are interested in replacing Durban and have also been speaking to the British Government to seek support.

Both Birmingham and Liverpool had already launched feasibility studies because they planned to bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games so their plans are relatively well advanced.

"We are aware of the decision from the Commonwealth Games Federation to seek a new host for the 2022 Games," Ian Ward, Deputy Leader of Birmingham City Council, said.

"Here in Birmingham we are already in the advanced stages of producing a detailed feasibility study on what would be needed for a truly memorable Games in the city.

"That is due to be completed in the coming weeks and we are in close contact with the Government about the developing situation."
http://www.insidethegames.biz/articl...onwealth-games
dcsmithers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #124
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assa View Post
Really if Birmingham can't land this there's a serious issue. It's just what the city needs. 2026 would have been ideal timing with HS2 hopefully open by then but if there's a chance for 2022 then we have to take it. With all due respect to Liverpool they don't have the infrastructure already present that Brum does.

Not sure I follow you on the "infrastructure" element?
Do you mean transport infrastucture or facilities infrastructure?
With regard to both I would say a successful 2022 application would provide an "unmemorable" games and a wasted opportunity to showcase what the city will or should have in place in 2026.
The athletics stadium surely needs to be a new build, (not just a temporary "add on" to a very average Alexander Stadium) to rival Manchester's very successful games and with a metro connection too?
We seem to be happy to deliver a "cut price" alternative at present (be it 2022 or 2026) which for me will not show the city in a good light!!
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 03:59 PM   #125
Brum Boy

Likes (Received): 214

The BCC deputy leader was interviewed on Adrian Goldburgs WM show this morning.

He said that Birmingham was currently better prepared than Liverpool to host the 2022 commonwealth games at short notice and made reference to Edgbaston, NIA, NEC and University of Birmingham as world class sporting venues in the city. He was pushed on the fact that we don’t have a world class stadium for athletics and said that timescales to construct a new stadium by 2022 was not realistic and believed that we could make an existing sporting venue work and cited Glasgow as an example.

He also said while he was waiting for the feasibility study for hosting 2026 to come out next month he would see what other cities was interested. Once the feasibility study was published he would work with the UK government to see if 2022 was possible. Only with UK government full support we would bid.
Brum Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #126
Flan

Likes (Received): 2471

BBC North West on twitter today have said - Commonwealth Games: Manchester said 2022 games in the North would "make a significant contribution to the growth of the Northern Powerhouse - Commonwealth Games: Its understood the Manchester offer could be either a city bid or a bid in conjunction with other cities.

https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/841690171091349505

So in other words Manchester are planning on stealing this from Birmingham and Liverpool.

Sandblast liked this post
Flan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #127
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4513

Perhaps they are looking at a joint bid with Liverpool.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #128
Flan

Likes (Received): 2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Perhaps they are looking at a joint bid with Liverpool.
I doubt it even if this was true they would have all the main events in Manchester and probably throw Liverpool some minor event. Although this article has just come up. So my guess now is that if the UK is to host it will be given to Manchester and there goes any hopes for a potential bid in 2026 for Liverpool or Birmingham.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ealth-12742043
Flan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #129
RalphGuy

There is a rumour that Sadiq Khan is expressing a possible London interest in holding the 2022 Games. If that happens, we can all kiss it goodbye.

With Glasgow having hosted the Games in 2014, if an English city does play host in 2022, I don`t think we would see it return to Britain until at least 2034.
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #130
dcsmithers

Likes (Received): 488

With the Commonwealth Games in Manchester in 2002 and Liverpool having been European Capital of Culture in 2008 no event of scale has yet to take place in Birmingham. "Fairness" is not the best of arguments, though; Birmingham can make a good case on readiness. 90% of the facilities are already in place--as I wrote earlier, the only permanent new facility needed is an aquatics centre--and with temporary stands and warm-up track at the Alexander Stadium the city is arguably better placed than Liverpool or Manchester. The case can be made...

Rijowhite, morestoreysplease liked this post
dcsmithers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #131
Rijowhite

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsmithers View Post
With the Commonwealth Games in Manchester in 2002 and Liverpool having been European Capital of Culture in 2008 no event of scale has yet to take place in Birmingham. "Fairness" is not the best of arguments, though; Birmingham can make a good case on readiness. 90% of the facilities are already in place--as I wrote earlier, the only permanent new facility needed is an aquatics centre--and with temporary stands and warm-up track at the Alexander Stadium the city is arguably better placed than Liverpool or Manchester. The case can be made...
If the Government want to make a Post-Brexit statement that the UK (or whatever is left...England?), then where better than the manufacturing heartlands of Birmingham? Having 90% of Facilities in place is another BIG thing in my opinion along with the Government wanting to be seen as fair...therefore it's the UK then Birmingham ticks many of the Boxes.

Manchester had it's Games in 2002 which really kicked off the investment up there (along with the horrendous IRA Bomb). With HS2 coming to Brum in 2026, a 2022/2026 Games could really give the City the kick up the arse it needs (it's doing well but there's much much more potential...).
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #132
Assa

London won't be considered in the end. If it was next year we needed a host for then fine but while there's still time then the games will go to a 'new' host like Liverpool or Birmingham. Same goes for Manchester.

The problem here is every man and his dog s throwing their hat into the ring. Ideally the Government should step in and say they'll only support a 'new' host city in order to maximise the legacy potential.

Rijowhite, Sandblast liked this post
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #133
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
London won't be considered in the end. If it was next year we needed a host for then fine but while there's still time then the games will go to a 'new' host like Liverpool or Birmingham. Same goes for Manchester.

The problem here is every man and his dog s throwing their hat into the ring. Ideally the Government should step in and say they'll only support a 'new' host city in order to maximise the legacy potential.
That, sir, makes too much sense.

Centurio liked this post
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:38 AM   #134
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4504

Quote:

Great post. But the 'legacy' bit gets on my tits! What does it mean? What legacy did the 2002 Commonwealth Games leave in Manchester other than another football stadium and a cycling centre with a penchant for dishing out dodgy pills to it's elite cyclists!

morestoreysplease liked this post
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:08 AM   #135
RalphGuy

This may sound naive Sandblast but I think if the Games are done well, it can 'help' create a sense of pride in the city and perhaps 'help' cultivate a sense of belonging, bringing Brummies together from different walks of life etc etc.

If they`re done badly, it can lead to the natives saying 'it was a typical Birmingham balls up'.

I`ve said on another thread that I would rather the 2022 Games go to a foreign city and then Birmingham attempt to get the 2026 Games which I think we would stand a good chance of doing and then putting together a really memorable event.

Rijowhite, Sandblast, OperateOnMe liked this post
Old March 16th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #136
Assa

Frankly I'd be happy with a 'legacy' limited to a 50m pool and the lift in the city's profile. Like RalphGuy I'd much perefer a full-on 2026 games where we can do it properly including an athletes village and a properly revamped Alexandra Stadium but if it's 2022 then we're going to have to settle with what we can get, if we can get it. The next decade has the potential to be massive for the region with HS2, the Metro extensions, BHX expansion and a potential CW plugged in to all of that properly would be amazing.

Rijowhite liked this post
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #137
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2624

Quote:
Frankly I'd be happy with a 'legacy' limited to a 50m pool and the lift in the city's profile. Like RalphGuy I'd much perefer a full-on 2026 games where we can do it properly including an athletes village and a properly revamped Alexandra Stadium but if it's 2022 then we're going to have to settle with what we can get, if we can get it. The next decade has the potential to be massive for the region with HS2, the Metro extensions, BHX expansion and a potential CW plugged in to all of that properly would be amazing.
But we will have a 50m pool in a few more weeks so that won't be a legacy. So really we will just have a life in the profile.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #138
JayPeeDee
Gone for a bit

Likes (Received): 4469

Why does it have to be a British city? I thought a British city was lined up for 2026?

It could equally be Sydney for example.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #139
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2624

It could equally be any other city in the world but Durban won the right to host it because no other city could be bothered. The only city who was going against them in the second round pulled out. In the running so far as to announce their interest are Edmonton, Melbourne and Perth. I would knock out the two Australian cities.

No city is lined up for 2026.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #140
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1093

If another British city steps in for Durban in 2022, it doesn't affect the rotation at all, so our chances of getting it in 2026 will be unaffected.
Astonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement