Whatever Happened To .... - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2018, 08:23 PM   #121
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4527

What's happened to the Court Collaboration site at Bow St/Ernest St? Has that gone quiet as well?
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2018, 08:47 PM   #122
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4042

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/new...ations-7337331

What's happened to this? almost 4 years ago the Post reported that the council had £5,5 million to improve the grim and dystopian tunnel between moor st and new st and since then there's been nothing but silence. Anybody knows anything?

rotundazag liked this post
Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 09:21 PM   #123
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Anyone else feel like we're still in the Christmas period??

Projects like Monaco House demolition has stopped, Arden Gate clearance has stopped, One Chamberlain Square has stopped (Unavoidable).

I know we still have the likes of The Bank, Landsdowne, Snowhill Three etc making very good progress, but I feel like many projects haven't restarted since the Christmas break. Or is it just me?

Arden Gate is on the move again now Reiss, plant and workmen on site last week.

RalphGuy, ReissOmari liked this post
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2018, 09:33 PM   #124
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosleyan View Post

What's happened to this? almost 4 years ago the Post reported that the council had £5,5 million to improve the grim and dystopian tunnel between moor st and new st and since then there's been nothing but silence. Anybody knows anything?

There's loads of room to incorporate some commercial or retail element in this link..
That said, could anyone enlighten me why this couldn't simply be opened up to through traffic again. You have this massive tunnel space only open to buses and taxis, seems ridiculous to me.
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 09:34 PM   #125
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosleyan View Post

I walked through it a few weeks ago and wondered the same - maybe they are holding off until HS2 kicks in?

It certainly needs something as itís dead space.
rotundazag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #126
SMUK86

Likes (Received): 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
What's happened to the Court Collaboration site at Bow St/Ernest St? Has that gone quiet as well?
It was approved so I am assuming we are awaiting for a contractor to be appointed. I don’t think they have a partner contractor like Seven Capital do so it will take a bit of time to tender etc. They used Shaylor to build Jewel Court, so they might be one to keep an eye on for updates.

RalphGuy liked this post
SMUK86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 08:28 PM   #127
Lucas98

Likes (Received): 344

What has happened to the improvements to snowhill square outside the station with the new glass restaurant?

ReissOmari liked this post
Lucas98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 08:54 PM   #128
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas98 View Post
What has happened to the improvements to snowhill square outside the station with the new glass restaurant?
Yup, and the improvements to the surround area too, they've upgraded the streetlights to LEDs but thats about it.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 09:39 PM   #129
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 7726

Nothing yet. The square with snow on Saturday.

Old March 6th, 2018, 12:09 AM   #130
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2633

They will happen in time. I’m sure the changes were scheduled for the end of the BID term. Don’t quote me on that.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

Lucas98 liked this post
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 12:39 AM   #131
Lucas98

Likes (Received): 344

In reference to the snow hill improvements I just found this on the Colmore BID website and this was published 2 weeks ago.

http://colmorebusinessdistrict.com/p...way-snow-hill/

Says that work should start this year at the bottom.
Lucas98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:27 PM   #132
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Anyone else feeling a bit meh about Birmingham construction right now, I know we have the likes of Snowhill Three, Exchange Square and The Bank going up, but its time for something new to get the juices flowing again! These projects started ages ago! Where is Bloc Grand Central? SBQ1-4? Hopefully we'll see work start on 103 Colmore Row because that will get the forum alive again, Lunar Rise, Snowhill Wharf, Lancaster Circus and Moda following too would be great.

rotundazag liked this post
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:45 PM   #133
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 14498

Do Nikal have funding for the second phase? I saw earlier that they're representing both 'MidlandsUk' & MCR at mipim, maybe we'll hear news on that and get that planning app within weeks.

Little dry on the proposal front yup, but I'm sure that'll change. They seem to arrive when we least expect it.

PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:47 PM   #134
SMUK86

Yeah this year so far has been very slow in terms of new proposals after the glut at the end of last year (Lionel St and the old Assay Office Car Park are the only two I can think of) and as you say for pipeline projects moving to construction.

I was also thinking about Bloc, it’s got to have been a year ago that they started painting that TSB advert and still no signs of demolition yet. I also thought we would have seen more movement in Digbeth from ESRG, The Axium and The Park Regis Car Park.

Also disappointing we haven’t seen plans as expected around this time for:

The Bomb Site
70-76 Holloway Head
Cornwall House
B5 Site Kent Street

Last edited by SMUK86; March 13th, 2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:49 PM   #135
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1597

None of the projects going up are particularly awe-inspiring either, it has to be said.

I'll be excited when I see tracks being laid in Wolverhampton and Birmingham, and 103 Colmore going up.
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:53 PM   #136
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Damn, I forgot about ESRG and the amount of projects they have over in Digbeth, whats going on there!

Court Collaboration are another that could really do with starting, as you say Axium, along with Holloway Head, Bishopgate and Arden Gate.
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:59 PM   #137
SMUK86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Damn, I forgot about ESRG and the amount of projects they have over in Digbeth, whats going on there!

Court Collaboration are another that could really do with starting, as you say Axium, along with Holloway Head, Bishopgate and Arden Gate.
Arden Gate has got a contractor now, so that might be one we might see a spade in the ground soon, no idea why they havenít demo the Nautical Club yet, especially as they had it approved and had machinery onsite for the demo of the building on the Arden Gate site next to it.

Donít get me started on Holloway Head, I just think that site is permanently doomed. One thing I have never understood is when they did the first phase of the demo why leave that empty red brick building at the top? Itís an absolute state attracting all sorts and has only been finally properly secured in about the last 3 months. Still zero signs of life on the Gough Street site as well where demolition of that old club took place about 18 months ago now.
Old March 12th, 2018, 10:13 PM   #138
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17021

Whatever happened to SANDBLAST ?

Mosleyan liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 11:16 PM   #139
RalphGuy

Remember, there's been an awful lot of building going on in the city over the last three years and continues to do so, but it won't last forever.

Maybe this year is going to be quieter but then again, there's so many sites that could possibly begin before the end of the year and we could be drowning in new starts again. And big sites too. The list is endless. Just think, Connaught, MODA, Lunar Rise, Exchange Square 2, St Lukes, former Kent Street baths, Lancaster Circus, Arden Gate, Hockley Mills, The Timber Yard, Park Regis, Central Methodist Hall, Snow Hill Wharf, Bow Street/Windmill Street, Icknield Port Loop and Holloway Head. If half of these sites start this year, I'll be ecstatic.

As for non-starters, my fears lie with Monaco House, Bloc and Smallbrook Queensway. I hope on this count I'm wrong but I get a bad feeling with all three.

Last edited by RalphGuy; March 12th, 2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old March 12th, 2018, 11:32 PM   #140
RalphGuy

In the last six months, we've seen starts at Arena 3, Great Hampton St, 2 Chamberlain Sq, Tennant St, Phase 2 of Newhall Square and we'll hopefully see Bath Court start next month.

Mosleyan liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement