Affordable Housing | Pangani | 15 fl x21 | Proposed - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2018, 04:57 AM   #1
royco mchuzi

Likes (Received): 1601

Affordable Housing | Pangani | 15 fl x21 | Proposed

I have been doing searches on the affordable housing plans. Finally I got something today. I'm optimistic most of these projects will come to life esp with the aggressive push for Big 4. Most of these projects are huge and thought best would be to keep the threads seperate

I have a hard time posting pics on here, but here is the link

http://scarlettdesigns.in/affordable...bi_county.html

I'm sure some of these blue renders are prone to change but we can expect some construction in these estates. I don't like the configuration. Feels like a concrete jungle. I hope if they do any public consultation, people should push for a lot of green spaces( leisure parks and playgrounds). They should increase flr to between 20 -25flrs thus create space for parks.
The ground floor is under- utilized too. They should turn these to affordable retail space create jobs and help solve the hawker situation. Ground / first floors can house police posts(security), ECDS ( Education), Fire station, restaurants, gyms etc laundromats , tech hubs, grocery shops light manufacturing( eg tailors) etc. These could be business hubs creating thousands of jobs just like Eastleigh and Westi. It shouldn't just be low cost housing. Let them build a parking silo instead.

Last edited by royco mchuzi; April 26th, 2018 at 05:14 AM.
royco mchuzi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2018, 05:33 AM   #2
brayo

Likes (Received): 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco mchuzi View Post
I don't like the configuration. Feels like a concrete jungle. I hope if they do any public consultation, people should push for a lot of green spaces( leisure parks and playgrounds).
Depends on how much land is available for each project. If you have little space then the green spaces will have to go. That is an issue that should be dealt with by the urban planners at City Hall, lakini tunazijua tabia zao so i'm not gonna hold my breath.

royco mchuzi liked this post
brayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 11:46 AM   #3
rongaiguy

Likes (Received): 267

mwas liked this post
rongaiguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:42 PM   #4
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Kenya: Queries Cloud City-Low Cost Housing Project

By Elvis Ondieki and Collins Omulo
Exactly how many houses are being built under the Nairobi estate regeneration project? And do all the companies that have signed up contracts to erect high rise buildings in some of the city's oldest estates have the capacity to handle the job?

These are just two of the questions being raised after the county government said it had reached agreement with eight companies for the construction of low cost houses in seven city estates.

The selected firms -- Edermann, Lordship Africa, Stanlib, KCB, Kiewa Group, Directline Assurance, Jabavu Village Limited and Technofin -- were picked following requests for proposals that were floated in April.

They will handle Ngong Road estate Phase I, Ngong Road Phase II, Uhuru Estate, New Ngara, Old Ngara, Suna Road, Jeevanjee and Pangani.

LEGAL WRANGLES

Already legal wrangles threaten to delay one of the projects; Ngong Road Estate with Edermann and Lordship Africa contesting to build the entire estate.

"Ngong road has a dispute with a court case. There are two companies wrangling here as one was given phase I and the other phase 2," Nairobi County's Housing and Urban Renewal Executive Richard Kerich told Nation.

Questions also linger on the number of units expected to be developed. While bid documents on the county website state 25,000 modern and affordable housing units for the technical criteria another document calling for financial experts specifies '14,000 modern and affordable housing units, market stalls, commercial and retail space spread across seven sites.'

SH293 MILLION LOSS

Controversy has also stalked some of the companies selected. Edermann, which has developed the Greatwall Apartments along Mombasa Road and the Lake Basin Mall in Kisumu are involved in a dispute with London Distillers Kenya over pollution of its estate in Athi River.

But it is the capacity of Direct Line Assurance to see through the project that will be keenly watched. The firm founded by the late John Macharia, the son of Royal Media Group owner SK, has had a rough ride in its dealings with insurance for Public Service Vehicles.

In the year 2015/6 the company suffered an underwriting loss of Sh293 million. Like other players in the sector the company blames this and its ability to pay claims on fraud.

CONTESTED

Lordship Africa, a firm with roots in Central Europe, is behind the Karen Hills project, a gated community with 60 fully-serviced one-acre plots.

Stanlib, Kenya's first listed real estate investment trust will be having its first significant foray into the property market with the regeneration project.

Kenya Commercial Bank, through savings and loan, could be the most experienced of the firms picked.

Kiewa Group is leading a consortium in redeveloping the old Ngara project at an estimated $70 million (Sh7 billion), according to a brief seen by the Nation.

Jabavu Village Limited, which is developing the Hilton Nairobi Upperhill set to open in 2020, has already seen its contract for the Jeevanjee/Bachelors quarters project being contested by residents for lack of public participation.

INVESTMENTS

The county government says it will not be paying the developers for construction. It will only provide land and then the firms will own 30 per cent of the property they construct so that they can recoup their investment and make a profit from it.

Mr Kerich said on Tuesday that the other 70 per cent must be low-cost housing, and the developers are under instructions build structures whose value ranges between Sh1 million and Sh3 million. Some of the developers had indicated prices as high as Sh6 million.

"We are renegotiating some of the contract because the houses are so expensive. We want their prices reduced to what an ordinary Nairobian can afford over a long period of time," said Mr Kerich.

Pangani Estate will be the first to break ground in September.

Kenya
Nation Marks 40 Years Since Death of First President
Kenya on Wednesday commemorated 40 years since the death of the country's founding President Mzee Jomo Kenyatta who died… Read more »

Read the original article on Nation.

https://allafrica.com/stories/201808170140.html
Sadly some of these projects were tendered during Kidero's time( Wakati wa kickbacks). Some of the companies sound reputable. We can only cross our fingers that they deliver quality buildings and in good time.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:42 PM   #5
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Kenya: Queries Cloud City-Low Cost Housing Project

By Elvis Ondieki and Collins Omulo
Exactly how many houses are being built under the Nairobi estate regeneration project? And do all the companies that have signed up contracts to erect high rise buildings in some of the city's oldest estates have the capacity to handle the job?

These are just two of the questions being raised after the county government said it had reached agreement with eight companies for the construction of low cost houses in seven city estates.

The selected firms -- Edermann, Lordship Africa, Stanlib, KCB, Kiewa Group, Directline Assurance, Jabavu Village Limited and Technofin -- were picked following requests for proposals that were floated in April.

They will handle Ngong Road estate Phase I, Ngong Road Phase II, Uhuru Estate, New Ngara, Old Ngara, Suna Road, Jeevanjee and Pangani.

LEGAL WRANGLES

Already legal wrangles threaten to delay one of the projects; Ngong Road Estate with Edermann and Lordship Africa contesting to build the entire estate.

"Ngong road has a dispute with a court case. There are two companies wrangling here as one was given phase I and the other phase 2," Nairobi County's Housing and Urban Renewal Executive Richard Kerich told Nation.

Questions also linger on the number of units expected to be developed. While bid documents on the county website state 25,000 modern and affordable housing units for the technical criteria another document calling for financial experts specifies '14,000 modern and affordable housing units, market stalls, commercial and retail space spread across seven sites.'

SH293 MILLION LOSS

Controversy has also stalked some of the companies selected. Edermann, which has developed the Greatwall Apartments along Mombasa Road and the Lake Basin Mall in Kisumu are involved in a dispute with London Distillers Kenya over pollution of its estate in Athi River.

But it is the capacity of Direct Line Assurance to see through the project that will be keenly watched. The firm founded by the late John Macharia, the son of Royal Media Group owner SK, has had a rough ride in its dealings with insurance for Public Service Vehicles.

In the year 2015/6 the company suffered an underwriting loss of Sh293 million. Like other players in the sector the company blames this and its ability to pay claims on fraud.

CONTESTED

Lordship Africa, a firm with roots in Central Europe, is behind the Karen Hills project, a gated community with 60 fully-serviced one-acre plots.

Stanlib, Kenya's first listed real estate investment trust will be having its first significant foray into the property market with the regeneration project.

Kenya Commercial Bank, through savings and loan, could be the most experienced of the firms picked.

Kiewa Group is leading a consortium in redeveloping the old Ngara project at an estimated $70 million (Sh7 billion), according to a brief seen by the Nation.

Jabavu Village Limited, which is developing the Hilton Nairobi Upperhill set to open in 2020, has already seen its contract for the Jeevanjee/Bachelors quarters project being contested by residents for lack of public participation.

INVESTMENTS

The county government says it will not be paying the developers for construction. It will only provide land and then the firms will own 30 per cent of the property they construct so that they can recoup their investment and make a profit from it.

Mr Kerich said on Tuesday that the other 70 per cent must be low-cost housing, and the developers are under instructions build structures whose value ranges between Sh1 million and Sh3 million. Some of the developers had indicated prices as high as Sh6 million.

"We are renegotiating some of the contract because the houses are so expensive. We want their prices reduced to what an ordinary Nairobian can afford over a long period of time," said Mr Kerich.

Pangani Estate will be the first to break ground in September.

Kenya
Nation Marks 40 Years Since Death of First President
Kenya on Wednesday commemorated 40 years since the death of the country's founding President Mzee Jomo Kenyatta who died… Read more »

Read the original article on Nation.

https://allafrica.com/stories/201808170140.html
Sadly some of these projects were tendered during Kidero's time( Wakati wa kickbacks). Some of the companies sound reputable. We can only cross our fingers that they deliver quality buildings and in good time.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:12 PM   #6
royco mchuzi

Old August 23rd, 2018, 01:47 AM   #7
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 8993

My only gripe is they don't compromise on quality just because the houses are low-cost.

Some of the firms chosen are very reputable. But the others i'm not sure how they'll get funding?

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:21 AM   #8
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
My only gripe is they don't compromise on quality just because the houses are low-cost.

Some of the firms chosen are very reputable. But the others i'm not sure how they'll get funding?
That's my worry too. County is insisting that the bulk of the houses be priced at 1m-3m. I don't see local companies pulling that and if they do we may end up with slum looking blocs. Ngara pangani areas can easily be turned to be better than south B/C if well planned. I think 3M-7M is a reasonable price(for a good quality apt) in these areas if coupled with cheap long term mortgage. The main problem is getting a cheap mortgage..more than the actual price of the house.
I'm thinking of a mix, 35%(1M-3M) in these area, 55% (3M-6M) and 10%(6-15M). At 1M what's going to stop the buyers from renting/selling the houses at 7M a year or two later -unless the houses look like shit!? Too cheap in a prime area won't solve the housing problem. Let them capitalize the profits in these areas and use the $$ to build more affordable houses as they move outwards towards Jericho/Ololo or even Kibera and mukuru

Adm.Adama liked this post
Old August 23rd, 2018, 04:10 AM   #9
Adm.Adama

Quote:
That's my worry too. County is insisting that the bulk of the houses be priced at 1m-3m. I don't see local companies pulling that and if they do we may end up with slum looking blocs. Ngara pangani areas can easily be turned to be better than south B/C if well planned. I think 3M-7M is a reasonable price(for a good quality apt) in these areas if coupled with cheap long term mortgage. The main problem is getting a cheap mortgage..more than the actual price of the house.
I'm thinking of a mix, 35%(1M-3M) in these area, 55% (3M-6M) and 10%(6-15M). At 1M what's going to stop the buyers from renting/selling the houses at 7M a year or two later -unless the houses look like shit!? Too cheap in a prime area won't solve the housing problem. Let them capitalize the profits in these areas and use the $$ to build more affordable houses as they move outwards towards Jericho/Ololo or even Kibera and mukuru
The only way this project will be successful if they ditch the stone masonry and settle for modern techniques like light gauge steel, prefab/precast, and EPS.

Like 1m for a studio

2m for a 1 bedroom

4m for a 2 bedroom

7m for a 3 bedroom

This could very much work and it help bridge the gap in housing in the city. But many will still remain in slums if they can't get decent jobs that will help them climb the economic ladder.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old August 24th, 2018, 05:49 AM   #10
Adm.Adama

Developments in my area....

http://hlblighting.com/project/assembly-row/

I hope these estates will cater for mixed-use developments which would create bustling commerce zones that will create thriving communities.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old August 24th, 2018, 04:49 PM   #11
Trixx

Likes (Received): 13

Which population are they targeting? I thought they were building houses for those who currently live in the slums. How are those guys going to afford these houses?
Trixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2018, 05:22 PM   #12
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixx View Post
Which population are they targeting? I thought they were building houses for those who currently live in the slums. How are those guys going to afford these houses?
Middle class for affordable housing..poor people for social housing. Social housing will be located where we have slums..eg kibera and that entails govt using its cash to build /subsidize the houses. NO profits expected.Affordable housing, govt gives land to investors to build affordable homes( savings from economies of scale , land costs and other incentives) .Profits expected in this case.

Adm Adama that vid captures my earlier sentiments in the other threads. These new housing projects should be centers of commerce. These blocks should be built using open st model.Semi basements, Ground and maybe 1st floors should be cheap commercial space.That way we can solve hawking meneance and encourage light manufacturing..eg group of tailors making and selling their clothing lines, shoe makers, artists, neighbourhood tech hubs, restaurants and other businesses. Hope they get this houses right.Still pissed that govt officials think this is their project and its proper to keep this as a secret.Barely any info for a project that was supposed to kick off years ago

Old August 25th, 2018, 11:41 AM   #13
lsadalla
african_bot

Likes (Received): 108

You live in woburn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post

Developments in my area....

http://hlblighting.com/project/assembly-row/

I hope these estates will cater for mixed-use developments which would create bustling commerce zones that will create thriving communities.
lsadalla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 10:26 PM   #14
Adm.Adama

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsadalla View Post
You live in woburn?
I work in Medford and thinking of moving closer to my job. I live in South Shore and just tired of the endless traffic.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old August 25th, 2018, 10:56 PM   #15
royco mchuzi

Interesting bit of it is that the majority of the buildings are nothing special/fancy, just square boxes probably put up in less than a year. If only our leaders can realize that it's all about planning and proper looking street level that makes the city!
Two-rivers can really pull this, but they seem to have lost steam. Have no doubt Tatu will will be great, if the shenanigans don't derail the project.
I have little faith the govt will pull this. We will have new blocks and Sonko built roads ( that will come as an after thought)
Old August 26th, 2018, 09:46 AM   #16
osaedu

Likes (Received): 452

Highrise estate 2br apartments are going for 3.5m at the moment. If similar apartments are built with improved finishing and a bit more space but cost of land isn't included, 3M seems possible.
osaedu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2018, 02:47 AM   #17
brayo

Likes (Received): 424

Good discussion on affordable housing:

brayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2018, 09:49 PM   #18
royco mchuzi

Nice discussion Anyone here that knows Ngara area well? Anyone with a clue where the park road housing project that macharia is talking about will be located? I googled searched and realized that the River Estate project by edermann ( 8 *34flr project) is located on just off Park road. This could be the one that is about to break ground next month as per macharia.
Old September 26th, 2018, 04:25 AM   #19
royco mchuzi

Here is a recent report that I just came across with some of the renders and locations.

http://eapisummit.com/Simon%20Malonz...esentation.pdf

Old September 26th, 2018, 04:56 AM   #20
Amboseli Daima

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Here is a recent report that I just came across with some of the renders and locations.

http://eapisummit.com/Simon%20Malonz...esentation.pdf

royco mchuzi, Servant of people liked this post
Amboseli Daima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement