Affordable Housing | Park Road | 2,000 Units | U/C - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2018, 04:00 AM   #1
royco mchuzi

Likes (Received): 1604

Affordable Housing | Park Road | 2,000 Units | U/C

Quote:
Low-income houses set to be built on Nairobi’s Park Road
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2018 22:00

Kenya and international mass housing developers have been invited to design, fund and build residential houses at Nairobi’s Park Road estate for sale to low-income earners.

The estate is situated in the Ngara area just next to the central business district and features heavy public service vehicle traffic. In a public notice posted in the dailies, the government said developers and their partners are expected to formulate designs that accommodate the houses together with related social and commercial amenities.

This is the second invite sent out to investors after the Mavoko project tender last January on the proposed 8,000 housing units to be built on a 55-acre parcel of land.

The Friday notice said applicants will be required to include a Sh40 million bid security from a reputable bank with the winning bidder expected to post a commitment fee equivalent to 10 per cent of the project’s value within 30 days after notification.

“The commitment fee will be deposited into an escrow account with a reputable bank in Kenya. Failure to which the bidder will be disqualified and the employer shall call on the bid security,” it said.

Inclusion of the private sector in the execution of public projects is a major paradigm shift from tradition where the government directly implemented projects whose cost was regularly reviewed upwards, while most stalled.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/...rsz/index.html

This is expected to break ground this month as per CS Macharia. It's a high-rise building complex and I hear the 3D - Model is being exhibited at the trade fair. Lets hope they keep their word.. we might get some good action pretty soon when all these projects kick off.

I Googled ST Park road, and it seem like the road was dual but some people/ traders just decided to block off one side of the carriage way and do business! We need the Japs to do the roads in Ngara/ people that worked on Two Rivers road network. Ngara can easily turn out better than Upperhill if well executed! I'm excited!

Last edited by royco mchuzi; October 10th, 2018 at 04:08 AM.
royco mchuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Bigbird25

Likes (Received): 100

https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2018...-says_c1830042

This could be the renders if anybody can upload the picture
Bigbird25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:22 PM   #3
FOYS

Likes (Received): 36

FOYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2018, 04:28 PM   #4
andegwa

Likes (Received): 4936

***DELETED since FOYS already posted it***

Not really a render but a scale model of the development.

Do we have a thread already created tracking this and other low income housing projects?

Last edited by andegwa; October 10th, 2018 at 04:33 PM.
andegwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 05:18 PM   #5
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andegwa View Post

***DELETED since FOYS already posted it***

Not really a render but a scale model of the development.

Do we have a thread already created tracking this and other low income housing projects?
I kept the threads seperate because each project is huge and I believe they deserve a seperate thread. We are talking of at least 5 blocks of 20+ flrs for each project. So far there is the Edermann 36flr * 8blocks in Ngara, Park road(will update the title when we get more info) , Pangani, Jevanjee and Central Park(Lordship). I might open Mavoko, Shauri Moyo, Toy Market etc as we go. I believe the $5B deal signed by UN in NY is for the Mavoko project. I'll post the thread and info when I get time.
Old October 10th, 2018, 05:46 PM   #6
ngara

Likes (Received): 120

Government procurement takes forever plus with losing bidders going to court, I would not be too excited. The ground breaking was promised in July. There is very little activity on the site.

Park road is a singe carriage. What you saw as blocked carriage way is the Nairobi county government proposed commuter terminus constructed during Kidero's time

royco mchuzi liked this post
ngara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 11:00 PM   #7
Shocks
"Structures don't lie" on

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco mchuzi View Post
I kept the threads seperate because each project is huge and I believe they deserve a seperate thread. We are talking of at least 5 blocks of 20+ flrs for each project. So far there is the Edermann 36flr * 8blocks in Ngara, Park road(will update the title when we get more info) , Pangani, Jevanjee and Central Park(Lordship). I might open Mavoko, Shauri Moyo, Toy Market etc as we go. I believe the $5B deal signed by UN in NY is for the Mavoko project. I'll post the thread and info when I get time.
If it was $5 billion, that's alot of cash, it can do all those projects and leave change for the other projects in the counties. The Mavoko project will be US$ 300-400mill, the biggest is Shauri Moyo which will be about double that
Shocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 03:08 AM   #8
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocks View Post
If it was $5 billion, that's alot of cash, it can do all those projects and leave change for the other projects in the counties. The Mavoko project will be US$ 300-400mill, the biggest is Shauri Moyo which will be about double that

Gota love this man! He is so passionate and knows what he is saying!
@ 11:40 and 42.28 in the second vid he says that the deal was worth $5B but heard that this amount includes infrastructure. I can bet a good chunk of this will go towards social housing in slums.
Mavoko project planning was also done by UN-habitat.
Listening to the figures being thrown around, I super excited . Hope this all ends well.

andegwa liked this post
Old October 11th, 2018, 03:31 AM   #9
royco mchuzi

Top Chinese firms line up for multi-billion shilling housing project
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2018 20:28

Top Chinese firms are seeking the multi-billion shilling contract to build 1, 500 low-cost homes on Nairobi’s Park Road for sale to workers.

About six Chinese firms, including Sinohydro Limited and China Road and Bridge Corporation that have recently bagged mega infrastructure projects like SGR lines, are among firms that Housing ministry will select to build the one, two and three-bedroom houses.

The project, which will be undertaken in the next two years through a design, build and finance model will see 105 one-bedroom units, 540 two-bedroom units and 855-three bedroom units built on a 7.9 acre parcel of land in Nairobi’s Park Road estate in Ngara.

The estate borders Park Road Primary School and Muslim Academy just next to the central business district.

A tender document for the housing units shows that the developer will be expected to build 400 units from the commencement date of the project.

Upon completion of the first 400 units, the developer will be paid 20 per cent of the contact value, 40 per cent upon project completion and 40 per cent after the defect liability period.

Home owners will then be expected to pay between Sh600, 000 to Sh3 million to occupy the low cost homes.

The 70 per cent drop will be supported by free public land to private property developers and building of access roads, electricity and water connection to housing schemes.

Taxpayers will also cushion the cost of designing houses and sourcing cheaper building technology.

“Private developers should not even be bothered by that (land, infrastructure, power and water) because we are providing all that. All we want them to do is construction,” said Housing and Urban Development Cabinet Secretary James Macharia in a previous interview.

The ministry has mapped out about 7,000 acres of public land for the construction of up to a million low-cost houses in major towns in the county such as Kisumu, Nairobi and Mombasa by 2022.

Initial estimates put the total cost of the ambitious project – which will include 800,000 units for sale and 200,000 social housing units in the slums at Sh2.3 trillion.

The plan, to be implemented under public-private partnership (PPPs) framework, is part of President Uhuru Kenyatta’s “Big Four” agenda that targets 500,000 low-cost houses.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/...jwz/index.html
Old December 19th, 2018, 05:20 PM   #10
ngara

Likes (Received): 120

Sonko has posted some good shots of the project model and renders on his fb page. Very well planned project with lots of green spaces and parking arrangement with play area on top of the parking structure.
ngara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2018, 08:53 PM   #11
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 9001

SOURCE

Here’s a video of the site and the show houses.

Vid 1

Vid 2

Vid 3

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC

Kenya Patriot liked this post
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2018, 12:11 AM   #12
royco mchuzi

At 0.10 , I wonder what project this is? May be the Ngara Jandongo road?? 34flrs downgraded to 16fls? These look good.

I wonder who pushed for change in color for the park rd development akasema lazima "waongeze yellow na red". Earlier renders showed a simple white and grey.

All the same it's good to see these projects take off. COTU, KNUT and Bandia courts may derail this. Remember Kibera upgrade project was stopped by the courts! Still don't understand how a court has powers to suspend laws passed by parliament and President. Simply shows we live in a country where one junior Magistrate has more powers than Parliament and President combined. Basically a judge can Veto a law passed by the other arms of govt. It should take the court of appeal/higher to do so and the law passed by other arms should hold until the case is heard and ruling made.
Alafu Maraga atalia govt has slashed it's budget??smdh

malcom me liked this post
Old December 20th, 2018, 04:19 PM   #13
Adm.Adama

So how are they going to sell the houses? Plus are their mechanisms in place to stop sub-leasing?

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old December 20th, 2018, 06:11 PM   #14
royco mchuzi

Adm, the secret is in the supply. I don't see why subleasing should be a problem in the long run. It's only the first few projects where there will be a scramble to buy the houses. With time and as more houses are built/available, why would one want to sublease if they can afford to buy a house. With time even investors should be able to buy units. The whole point of this program( the way i understood it) is to unlocktue supply side. Govt will gurantee the offtake(making it a sure bet for the developer)
Check out charles hingas vids. Dude seem to have figured it out wholistically. Impressed by the work he has done in just a year
Old December 20th, 2018, 07:18 PM   #15
Adm.Adama

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco mchuzi View Post
Adm, the secret is in the supply. I don't see why subleasing should be a problem in the long run. It's only the first few projects where there will be a scramble to buy the houses. With time and as more houses are built/available, why would one want to sublease if they can afford to buy a house. With time even investors should be able to buy units. The whole point of this program( the way i understood it) is to unlocktue supply side. Govt will gurantee the offtake(making it a sure bet for the developer)
Check out charles hingas vids. Dude seem to have figured it out wholistically. Impressed by the work he has done in just a year
With sub-leasing and houses going for 3 million what's stopping someone from buying like 5 or 20 houses and charging exorbitant rent prices. It defeats the purpose of affordable housing.

I want this project to take off and we get as many people out of dangerous houses and slums.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old December 20th, 2018, 08:43 PM   #16
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
With sub-leasing and houses going for 3 million what's stopping someone from buying like 5 or 20 houses and charging exorbitant rent prices. It defeats the purpose of affordable housing.

I want this project to take off and we get as many people out of dangerous houses and slums.
Again its all about supply. We inject 500k + homes in the market, in 4years, trust me you will even see rent prices going down/market correction in places like sth c where rent is 60k. Even assuming govt had no hand in all this and developers just built that many houses, the rent would go down..hence no fear of exhorbitant prices.
On issue of allocation, PS said one has to register and for the first few phases the it will be a rafle/random selection by comps.No human involvement and only one house per household. It's actually pretty easy and straight forward ..if they go this route and no monkey biz.
Scale of this project is huge. Remember Kibera project is only 800 units. We are talking about 20K units in makongeni, 2k units park road, 5k shauri etc. This is our only chance of eradicating slums in Kenya bora siasa na ufisadi is kept at bay

Adm.Adama liked this post
Old December 21st, 2018, 05:41 AM   #17
royco mchuzi

Adm here is a tiny bit of explanation

Insane that we are still stuck in past where president has to launch everything!!! Their website pia,everything is still a secret until mkubwa launches it. smdh

Adm.Adama liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2018, 12:12 PM   #18
tororist

Likes (Received): 245

to be fair its his campaign agenda. just like trump launching factories in ohio or wisconsin because he campaigned on bringing back blue collar jobs to the midwest. even foxconn delayed their groundbreaking to fit his schedule. now other stuff like city roads or further housing projects he shouldnt be there. anyway thats just my opinion. i do wonder what caused his sudden absence. pretty festive in state house i'm guessing
Old December 22nd, 2018, 12:54 PM   #19
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3222

Quote:
Originally Posted by tororist View Post
pretty festive in state house i'm guessing
Kenguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 05:33 AM   #20
Adm.Adama

Lordship Africa Proposal

Karibu Kenya