Affordable Housing | Park Road | 2,000 Units | U/C - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2019, 12:18 AM   #61
NaijaSwag
Hanging the boots up

Likes (Received): 2972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okwonkwo View Post

Why do you have a Nigerian name? Did you read things fall apart or something?
“The most selfish thing you can do in this world is help someone else, because the gratification, the goodness that comes to you, the good feeling, the good feeling from helping others—nothing is better than that. That’s where the joy is—in helping others. That’s where the success is.” - Denzel Washington.
NaijaSwag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2019, 09:20 AM   #62
ngara

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngara View Post
The EIA study for Park road housing.
https://www.nema.go.ke/images/Docs/E...rkroad-min.pdf

Block A- 6 floors
Block B-13 floors
Block D-14 floors
Block E- 12 floors
Block F- parking silo 7 floors
Block G-Kindergarten, social etc.

Update on this project
Block A-6 floors almost topped out(working on the roofing area). They are now plastering the exterior walls
Block B-my quick estimate now on the 4th floor
Block D-starting on the 2nd floor
Block E-starting on the 1st floor
Block F & G-not visible
Old July 27th, 2019, 10:20 AM   #63
ngara

https://twitter.com/housingurbanke?lang=en

Progress on this project from the link. Block A is 95% complete.

Kenya Patriot, andegwa, donddon liked this post
ngara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2019, 12:57 AM   #64
andegwa

Likes (Received): 4936

Quote:
https://twitter.com/housingurbanke?lang=en

Progress on this project from the link. Block A is 95% complete.
I know it's much better than the current stock of low income housing, but I hope the aesthetics of these high rise designs improves...

Project scale mock-up

Current Progress

Source
Old August 12th, 2019, 04:04 PM   #65
ngara

Quote:
Update on this project
Block A-6 floors almost topped out(working on the roofing area). They are now plastering the exterior walls
Block B-my quick estimate now on the 4th floor
Block D-starting on the 2nd floor
Block E-starting on the 1st floor
Block F & G-not visible
Updating the floor count-my estimate
Block A-6 floors complete
Block B- 7 floors done- 6 more to go
Block D- 4 floors done- 10 remaining
Block E- 5 floors done Ground & 1st floor is commercial space. 7 more
Block F & G-not visible

There is no block C- Government refused this block because it would crowd the area.

Going into the Pangani area is like stepping into a giant construction zone. Green nets everywhere.

Key Project Timelines from the Bomayangu website

Construction period = 24months
Completion of 228 units by 31 October 2019
Phase 2 - 260 units by June 2020
Final phases by October 2020

Last edited by ngara; August 12th, 2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old August 12th, 2019, 05:48 PM   #66
Wildbeest

Likes (Received): 1230

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Chea...epa=SEARCH_BOX

royco mchuzi, jaysonffm, ngara, Adm.Adama liked this post
Wildbeest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 10:34 AM   #67
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 8999

They couldn't improve the window designs? Makes it look like small building jail cells.

The small buildings have better windows.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC

Mistah ILL WILL, Cool Waters liked this post
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:27 PM   #68
royco mchuzi

Likes (Received): 1604

Those are the typical jua Kali windows
royco mchuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:47 PM   #69
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 8999

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco mchuzi View Post
And the older estates have nice windows.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:13 PM   #70
andegwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco mchuzi View Post
Exactly.. this was the trade-off that was made. In order to achieve additional economic trickle-down effect to the informal sector, a number of jua kali organizations were to be contracted to make everything from the window fittings, doors etc. This is the result of that... not the best aesthetics, but overall meaningful employment/project opportunities

Of course it would be better if the govt. promoted the need for better designs, but they've never been good with that

royco mchuzi liked this post
andegwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 09:36 PM   #71
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andegwa View Post
Exactly.. this was the trade-off that was made. In order to achieve additional economic trickle-down effect to the informal sector, a number of jua kali organizations were to be contracted to make everything from the window fittings, doors etc. This is the result of that... not the best aesthetics, but overall meaningful employment/project opportunities

Of course it would be better if the govt. promoted the need for better designs, but they've never been good with that
The only way they can sustain/develop the JuaKali industry is by promoting innovation. Govt/ developer should come up with the specifications and support the guys with equipment but demand the juakali guys to produce the products in line with universal specifications. Seem to be doing it the other way round. Hope milango si zile za ocha with a "Z" pattern frame.
Innovation in the JuaKali is very wanting and is the reason why they cannot scale easy. Take sanduku za boarding as an example; They have remained the same (hadi ata color) from way back in the days.

I was also disappointed when I went to Masai Market to try and shop for a few souvenir stuff. Every seller had almost the same product. Even paintings and carvings were more or less the same. This has remained the same from way back!

Mistah ILL WILL liked this post
Old August 14th, 2019, 06:43 AM   #72
Kijanamwafrika

Likes (Received): 723

I do not like that word 'jua kali' industry.It means informal,low skilled and made directly under the sun with no formal building.I mean it is nice they are getting the work but I wish they were more formal,trained and had better standards for the industry.If they could be able to export those products and they could compete with other products internationally then those products would be of high standards

Last edited by Kijanamwafrika; August 14th, 2019 at 06:58 AM.
Kijanamwafrika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 04:55 AM   #73
Amboseli Daima

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijanamwafrika View Post
I do not like that word 'jua kali' industry.It means informal,low skilled and made directly under the sun with no formal building.I mean it is nice they are getting the work but I wish they were more formal,trained and had better standards for the industry.If they could be able to export those products and they could compete with other products internationally then those products would be of high standards
True I share your concerns ,but the lathe machines,ISO certification,skilled engineering and other stuff don't come cheap.Its hard a hard process but not impossible .
Amboseli Daima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 09:44 AM   #74
Kijanamwafrika

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amboseli Daima View Post
True I share your concerns ,but the lathe machines,ISO certification,skilled engineering and other stuff don't come cheap.Its hard a hard process but not impossible .
True they do not come easy but they have to be done for Kenya to move to the next level.Nothing good comes easy.You cannot move to another level while doing the same things as at the previous level.I digress a bit but it is like Brexit.The Brits want to leave the EU but still have the benefits that accrue from being in the EU.You cannot have your cake and eat it.You have to take the hard parts to achieve what you want not just the easy parts

brian the real story, Foxbat101 liked this post

Last edited by Kijanamwafrika; August 15th, 2019 at 09:51 AM.
Kijanamwafrika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 03:28 PM   #75
andegwa

Very well put. The good thing is that there has been a concerted effort nationwide to invest in technical/vocational (trade) institutions that have taught a ton of young people everything from metal work, carpentry, plumbing, welding etc. etc. utilizing modern equipment. From the outside, it appears the skilled labor is being developed in sufficient quantities -- it's now just about implementing the support structures and policies to better leverage this...

Kijanamwafrika liked this post

Last edited by andegwa; August 15th, 2019 at 03:36 PM.
andegwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 06:16 PM   #76
constructionist

Likes (Received): 159

Kenya has this copy-past affinity and I am times puzzled why we do not think long term and also how to differentiate one products from another. From the mall craze that happened earlier where we now have a mall glut to maasai market vendors basically replicating each other including paintings!! The common trend goes like this.. so and so opened an m-pesa shop and it is doing well. Let me also open on close to her! Hata mimi nitafanya hivyo! Even something simple as manufacturing house furniture is a disaster. Telling someone of your custom furniture vision one will have to pull hairs! Workmanship also has to greatly improve! If ikea comes to town they may all have to close shop or shape up! Though many of us are not fans of mdf furniture.

royco mchuzi liked this post
constructionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 07:18 PM   #77
ngara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
They couldn't improve the window designs? Makes it look like small building jail cells.

The small buildings have better windows.
I wish you could see the raw sewage flowing on the Kinshasa roadeven before they connect this project. Window design would be least of your concern. For a flagship project it's an embarrassment. No effort to redo the roads so far.
Old August 15th, 2019, 08:10 PM   #78
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3217

Quote:
I wish you could see the raw sewage flowing on the Kinshasa roadeven before they connect this project. Window design would be least of your concern. For a flagship project it's an embarrassment. No effort to redo the roads so far.
Its weird considering they are making every effort to redo the access roads to the river project in the same area.
Old August 16th, 2019, 12:24 AM   #79
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
Its weird considering they are making every effort to redo the access roads to the river project in the same area.
Park road is govt PPP and Ederman are just like contractor/developer. Govt is supposed to re-do the access roads but you know transport ministry is just a mess. In this case Ederman has nothing to lose. They will just build the buildings, get paid and hand the entire development to the govt.

River project is entirely an Ederman project, just like Syokimau-Greatwall. Unfortunately due to govt failure, the contractor/investor has to foot the bill for the access roads and sewerage or risk not selling any unit.
Old August 16th, 2019, 01:29 PM   #80
Mwendo Safi

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijanamwafrika View Post
We killed technical institutions in favor of academic universities, which has contributed to massive unemployment. These Jua Kali people learn through job shadowing which has no clear training structures. Terrible workmanship you see around is the result of a technical sector that was destroyed by our own government policy makers. Too sad.

Kenya Patriot liked this post
Mwendo Safi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement