Broad Street Tower | Residential | 134m | 38 fl | Canc. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #21
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

ah... so this is what I must have read last night, I had a ridiculous dream that I spoke to Miller and they were dissapointed that this tower was going ahead, they said... "this is bad news for any prospect of building Arena Central tower now, such close competition will make our project commercially unsafe, we will have to concentrate more on the lower buildings with emphasis on larger floor plates" I'm sure that this will not be the case though

Last edited by Elizabeth Kinoke; July 24th, 2005 at 01:56 PM.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #22
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

well here is a thing i did to show the height and location to relation of this tower to the surroundings...however, then i didnt know the tower was triangular!

do we not think it may be time to contact miller again???? the masterplan should be out soon!
Old July 24th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #23
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

cheers for that rendering, looking quite impressive there, this will make an imense impact to the broadstreet skyline considering the street already looks quite dense in places with the tallest tower at present being about 70 - 80 metres tall this will really stand out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #24
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

At the bottom left of that pic you can see the top of Hyatt tower and then it would be the proposed Arena Central and then the 100 metre Alpha tower.
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #25
birminghamculture

Likes (Received): 2

Nice Tower - You sure its triangular though and just not horizontal?

I actually think it fits in quite well with the surrounding area, quite a phoneixesque type of scraper. Tall, Fat and made of Glass. I like the little wings it has on the sides aswell. not to mention the lights on top, which will act as an even greater entry into the city.

Very pleased with it. another 150 bedroom hotel - Brums booming with its hotels now isnt it. You can expect this to be another 5* due to its location. Hasnt Auchinleck house got a hotel also in its plans?

This is what Brum needs, half a dozen 120m+ towers then 2 stand out towers and hopefully the latter will start with the new Arena Central masterplan.

The only good thing about AC at the moment is, it has to be taller then 38 & 39 storeys
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #26
Steldemetriou
Stel

Likes (Received): 687

Don't like it at all really dated looking, we have more innovative towers like Swiss Re to compete with and this looks really unadventurous.
Steldemetriou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #27
birminghamculture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steldemetriou
Don't like it at all really dated looking, we have more innovative towers like Swiss Re to compete with and this looks really unadventurous.
Mate, take into account the surrounding areas. This alone will stand out like a sore thumb. anything more would look awful. Its a steady and elegant design. It looks just as good as HCT - just with less colour galss, but this will reflect an awful lot more.
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #28
birminghamculture

Oh and another thing which we should'nt over look is that its a "Midlands Developer" - Who is changing from large floor plate buildings to elegant skyscrapers. If this is good, expect a few more proposals from the group.

P.S Everytime I look at it, I love it more and more.
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #29
mk61
Yep

Likes (Received): 76

Pretty stout looking thing, dont you think?

Couple of things to point out - firstly it seems very wide on the broad street side - looks like they have designs on lee longlands or the neighbours on the other side. And as it says in the article, the scheme wont start until the next upward cycle in the property market, so we probably wont be seeing this for a while yet.
mk61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #30
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 1596

Swiss re is an exception in design terms, not a rule of thumb guide to creating a scraper.. Don't compare it to new designs.. This will be striking and elegent in every sense.. it won't be a landmark tower but then, why should it be?!
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #31
birminghamculture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk61
Pretty stout looking thing, dont you think?

Couple of things to point out - firstly it seems very wide on the broad street side - looks like they have designs on lee longlands or the neighbours on the other side. And as it says in the article, the scheme wont start until the next upward cycle in the property market, so we probably wont be seeing this for a while yet.
Im my calculations, the next upward cycle will be when Orion, southside, the Post Box, Masshouse and HCT are all completed. The next cycle will be John Bright, City Park Gate, Martineu Galleries and This.

If it gains approval within the next 8 weeks expect it to start mid 2006.
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #32
mk61
Yep

I agree, St Marys Axe is sort of unique, and that kind of innovation comes at a premium. And this will be a landmark in the respect of sheer size - especially from the western approaches to the city centre, this will dwarf everything else.
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #33
caw123

Likes (Received): 3

Reminds me of Hong Kong HSBC a little bit. Not sure wether I like this or not, need a few more renders.
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #34
mk61
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamculture
Im my calculations, the next upward cycle will be when Orion, southside, the Post Box, Masshouse and HCT are all completed. The next cycle will be John Bright, City Park Gate, Martineu Galleries and This.

If it gains approval within the next 8 weeks expect it to start mid 2006.
I dont think approval will be a problem - the tories love the west end - and this seems unadventurous in architectural terms, which probably gives them a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Not to say I dont like it, I think its rather good, although that horizontal banding seems to detract from its height somewhat. By all accounts this will be a little taller than HCT.
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #35
woodhousen

i agree witht he fact that it looks sort of like the hong kong HSBC and for that, i love it. the total in your face HUGENESS of the building will really make it stand out. if it is not triangular than i dont worry about how wide it looks from this side, as it will look sleem and slender from the other view.

they are not albe to demolish lee longlands but i think this prob includes the bombay mix store.....

all in al i like it. very in your face, very girthy, very rich looking building....and with leisure floor plates, a hotel and apartments, this will act as a magnet imo to the whole broad street improvement thing...... imagine walking down broad street in a few years after it been inproved with this, arena central and auck house along it......should look amazing!
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #36
birminghamculture

I think its bigger then HCT ... "SHOCK" ... I was doing the maths. HCT has 144 apartment and 6 luxury Penthouses. Well this will have 350 flats, obviously smaller then the size in HCT but still quite a hefty amount- It is also stated as being mixed use. I just got a feeling that this will be minimally taller then Beetham.
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #37
woodhousen

the developers have been doing their research and are very competitive. this is competeing not only with what birmingham has already but also the future.........so that HCT and AC!!!!
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #38
mk61
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
imagine walking down broad street in a few years after it been inproved with this, arena central and auck house along it......should look amazing!
This seems to be a long way off, but yes - when its all done, with AC at whatever height it turns out to be, and something at least marginally ambitious at auckinleck, this whole area will be the daddy
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #39
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 274

It's a bit of a beefy bugger ain't it....just what we need to fill up the skyline a bit and it does bear a passing resemblance to HSBC in HK. It would be even better if it had a similar lighting scheme to HSBC but withy it being mainly residential that'd be a bit of a no no.
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #40
birminghamculture

Couldnt agree more - This building is so in your face, you have to like it. Brum has really fought back over the last 7 months in this high-rise race with the country. Broad Street will be amazing when all this is done. another 5* hotel to attract the celebs away form Hyatt, a nice lighting scheme and this will really act as the entrance to Brums Golden Mile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
birmingham