Broad Street Tower | Residential | 134m | 38 fl | Canc. - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #61
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

Sorry to sound like a wet fart and I know you can't tell much from one low quality render but it's really not doing it for me. It looks like a giant stretched version of quayside!?

The angle of over-sailing facade on the corner seems to indicate it's triangular and I would have thought the developers, architects and council would want to maximise the Broad street frontage. It may look quite slender going up Broad Street towards Fiveways but going the other way may look like a huge block. Until I see better renders of the other end and the front elevation I'll reserve judgment. remember there was talk a while back about picadilly circus style lighting.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something of HCT quality but this doesn't look like it to me at the moment and I really hope Iím proved wrong. When you looked a the visual of the spiral tower proposed for corner of park central it looked very contemporary and was breathtaking even in an early visual but in my opinion it looks a little cheesy and already a bit dated.

it looks like something from ten years ago. Very mid nineties. Previous Richardson developments like Tiger Tiger, 1 Colemore square were missed opportunities to do something great, so until we know who the architects are and their pedigree Iíll remain cautious.

I think im reading it correct when I say the view of is from the general direction of quayside tower
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf
U475 Foxtrot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #62
mk61
Yep

Likes (Received): 76

Yep the view is from the direction of quayside looking west towards five ways, broad street on the right and tennant street to the left.
mk61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #63
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

I think that you will find this to be a very basic artists impression, as in the case with Arena Central, afterall, isn't this going to be on the back bench for a while? in other words they will wait and see what Miller come up with (just a wild guess)
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #64
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

i would have thought so EK, as i have said before, this tower is in direct responce to AC........... this isnt going to be built tomorrow lol

it is a v basic rendering at the moment but i do really like what i see...... i huge, in your face m'f*cking tower. id much prefer this than a boring really lanky tower........ here we have a glass and steel tower...amazing!

again, i think EK, ts time to see if miller are in a talking mood...u not think?
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #65
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

well I'm not sure if you caught my post earlier (that I promptly deleted) about one of two dreams I had last night, I think that I will hold back abit in this case. I'm sure that Miller/Ruhan will build something quite substantial but in all fairness the tower is going to be a later stage of the development and so as Miller have said, heights will depend on market forces as with all these commercial projects, no one is in the business of losing money for the sake of architecture these days, quite unfortunate really.
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #66
birminghamculture

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke
well I'm not sure if you caught my post earlier (that I promptly deleted) about one of two dreams I had last night, I think that I will hold back abit in this case. I'm sure that Miller/Ruhan will build something quite substantial but in all fairness the tower is going to be a later stage of the development and so as Miller have said, heights will depend on market forces as with all these commercial projects, no one is in the business of losing money for the sake of architecture these days, quite unfortunate really.
So they are not gonna build anything substanial either in height or architecture. Surely not, if thats the case hopefully they will wait until May 2006 to put forward the new plans then Labour can throw it away like trash. because by the sounds of things, thats what its gonna be.
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #67
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

no birmy, read my post again mate! then go and read A.C. thread if it still exists for an update, cheers
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #68
birminghamculture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke
no birmy, read my post again mate! then go and read A.C. thread if it still exists for an update, cheers
Ok read it again, but its still not any clearer. A substantial tower could be anything over 90m - If its a residential tower I think market forces you talk about should be irrelevant, as the UK has been in boom for the last 3+ years. They have either missed the boat this time round and are gonna wait another God knows how many year, or there build something the size of Orion.

P.S AC thread has been lost
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #69
caw123

Likes (Received): 3

I thought HCT was built to the maximum for it's individual plot? Surely there can't be blanket 120m height limit across the city centre considering how many hills there are. It's 242m ASL ain't it? (Not for London though - gits)
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #70
birminghamculture

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw123
I thought HCT was built to the maximum for it's individual plot? Surely there can't be blanket 120m height limit across the city centre considering how many hills there are. It's 242m ASL ain't it? (Not for London though - gits)
I think any city can build over 242m I think it just a case of when, who and how. The 120m lark is rubbish to be honest. I've always thought the CAA ruling was implemented just to show the public that they would prevent an 9/11 happening. HCT is already over that - this tower will be over that and so will a few others.
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #71
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

Cool, I wander when they actually intend to build, they have a good track record of delivering projects, although the architecture is debateable, but 'the next upwards cycle' is a little vague !
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #72
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

well they might out off building it tomorrow but they aint hanging around for getting it approved

here is the full planning application summitted last week

Quote:
C/04612/05/FUL
212-223 Broad Street, Birmingham

Rdevelopment of site to provide a 38 storey building with ground floor A1/A2/A3/A4/C1 & D2 uses and upper floor parking, hotel and residential units.

Richardson Cordwell
c/o DTZ Pieda Consulting

DTZ Peieda Consulting
1 Colmore Square
Birmingham
B4 6AJ
anyone gona visit it?
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #73
brum2003

I wander how this will affect the site directly opposite, which Crosby own and were considering a tower for ? do you think two tall structures will be allowed so close to each other, after all Broad Street is not the widest of roads and there may be light right problems etc
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #74
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

The more the better, me thinks! Broad Street/Hagley Road is the perfect axis on which to have lots of closely spaced office/mixed use towers of between 70 - 120/130 metres in height. If we can't get a decent cluster in the city centre proper, then more tall developments strung along this road would be most desirable. As for the light-blocking issue, it may not be too bad as Broad Street runs South West anyway. Furthermore, this would create a rather dramatic "canyon" effect and reinforce / enhance the idea of Brum's "Golden Mile" - an important and increasingly upmarket leisure, commerce and residential artery leading from Edgbaston into the central core.
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #75
birminghamculture

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum2003
I wander how this will affect the site directly opposite, which Crosby own and were considering a tower for ? do you think two tall structures will be allowed so close to each other, after all Broad Street is not the widest of roads and there may be light right problems etc
Just look at Skyscraper Alley in the westside Brum2003 - HCT, Senitenals, Orion, JB, Westside, Alpha and then you have your answer. If anything after Crosby have finished Orion and JB they will more then likely want to go bigger then 32 storeys. Lets not forget Auchinleck house aswell. Thats a major redevlopment. 150,000sqft of office and retail - 150 bed hotel, 300+ apartments. Thats the 1.5 times the size of the Broad Street Tower. We could see a couple 80m+ towers here.

P.S Martin G was it you who did those future renders with the look alike Bishopgate Tower? You dont fancy doing another one do you, because those are quality.

Old July 25th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #76
Martin G

Correction: The architect(s) of Bishopsgate Tower ripped off MY 2003 impression of a fantasy Colmore Tower (the spiral top is identical). The bastards!
Old July 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #77
brum2003

your right, the ridge is the perfect place for any towers....I hope Crosby will move forward with this plot now, although they seem to be progressing the Orion and Southside phase 2's first. Do we know yet who is behind Auchenleck now ? I was sure its Frontier and they agai have a great track record at delivering here in Brum
Old July 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #78
birminghamculture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
Correction: The architect(s) of Bishopsgate Tower ripped off MY 2003 impression of a fantasy Colmore Tower (the spiral top is identical). The bastards!
I agree - but can you do a future render for us lol
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #79
Martin G

What would be in it though? Just HCT is kinda boring! We haven't much concrete indication of whether or not there will be other tall towers there....
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #80
birminghamculture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
What would be in it though? Just HCT is kinda boring! We haven't much concrete indication of whether or not there will be other tall towers there....
Arena Central at a reduced height of 150m(hopefully) Broad Street tower should be visable behind HCT aswell as Alpha. HCT moved to its correct position. Orion at 90m aswell as JB at 70m, 2 paradise street towers at 120m, where the current Paradise and HCT tower are in your shot, 2x 120-130m towers at ludgate right next to BT plus a 60m block, Martineau gallery towers. Quiet a few really mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
birmingham