Official Black Country Development Thread - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 28th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #61
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Oh yeah, still there. Only shop I remember when going to Dudley. It now smells like some drunk chav has pissed all in it.

I had a stint of not going into the town centre for 5 years, even though I live a mile away from the centre. Only been back there in the last few months.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #62
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

Not quite sure if we're gonna fill up a thread on Dudley! But I read that about the extension of the Metro linking Merry Hill to Wednesbury. Should be good, but I'm sure this will be the end of free parking at Merry Hill.
Butterfield no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #63
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecharlie
Isn't there a lovely old shopping arcade in the town? sadly Wolverhampton lost its.
That's the Fountain Arcade with the upstairs toy shop which as far as I know is still there!! It's so old fashioned with trains and the like but always worth a visit if you're in the otherwise rather skanky Dudley town centre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #64
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

I have a few model cars from them.
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #65
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

I'm sure this thread should be entitled... Dooodlaaay!

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #66
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Dudley covers a really large area, from Halesowen across to Stourbridge & up to Merry Hill & Dudley town centre itself. Do you remember some years a go, a Toronto CN tower style building was planned for close to the Waterfront ...... would have been stunning!
FLD no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #67
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

would have been empty

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #68
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

So, Dudley, I would say it is a part of Birmingham, so why does it suffer? Discuss.
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #69
stourbridgebaggie

Likes (Received): 0

it suffers because of urban decay, merry hill opening taking trade away from the town centre, same as stourbridge. theres also a lot of people from dudley borough who move else where as i have found on my travels.
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #70
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Ok, so it suffers strains in retail, so why wont they adapt and do something different to create a demand?
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #71
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

From Architect's Journal:

Quote:
The future of the first defining building by one of the UK’s most internationally-acclaimed young architects is under threat from a Will Alsop masterplan, it has emerged.

Sergison Bates’ 1998 Wharf Bar pub in Walsall is set to face the wrecking ball if Alsop’s proposals, drawn up for Urban Splash, come to their full fruition.

The building, which is adjacent to Caruso St John’s New Walsall Art Gallery, was critically acclaimed when it opened – to this day architecture students make international trips to visit it.

The practice credits it with launching it onto the international scene, which culminated in a joint professorship at Zurich University.

But Alsop describes the building as ‘horrible’. ‘I don’t like it at all,’ he said. ‘It’s not up to much.

‘Also, it’s falling apart,’ he added. ‘It wasn’t built well and this needs to be done. It won’t happen in the first phase but it will happen eventually.’

Alsop’s plans would see the demolition of a whole swathe of Walsall and the construction of a series of new buildings by Alsop himself, Shed KM and rising Austrian stars Querkraft.

Urban Splash was more reticent about condemning the Sergison Bates building outright. ‘We are in a dialogue with the owner of the long-lease of the bar about its future,’ local director Nathan Cornish said.

‘Our thinking is that the Gallery Square does not work very well at bringing people into the waterside site. We believe another public building such as a hotel might work better there.

‘But if we can’t come to an agreement with the landowner then we’ll have to complete our scheme with the bar in place – the masterplan works with or without the pub.

‘This is not about architectural merit – I really like it as a building. But the point is that we might get 15 or 20 better buildings if it goes and that must be remembered,’ Cornish added.
Alsop is a tit.

But the Waterfront looks OK

Old July 28th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #72
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
From Architect's Journal:

Alsop is a tit.

But the Waterfront looks OK

Looks identical to the one Express and Star says will be in Brierly Hill. Ur-errr, they are as bad as Birmingham Post.
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #73
stourbridgebaggie

Likes (Received): 0

i think it might be down to the perceived image of the town now to, must people associate dudley as being not very nice so whatever is done there people will always think "its still a dump"
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #74
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Likes (Received): 2

Got a question for you Black Country forumers - I'm a fairly new member to the site although I've been a keen watcher for about 6 months now - what would you think to having an "Official Black Country Thread" at the top of the page next to the Birmingham one? It's always struck me that there are a number of different threads covering the length and breadth of the Black Country so why not bring them together in one?
If you class the Black Country as the four boroughs, as many do nowadays, then you have a polulation execeding that of Birmingham (I think!). I don't think anywhere else of note in the country has the set up we have in the West Midlands where there exists two city size areas side by side in one conurbation possessing distinct identities and histories but which complement each other so well. As an example, Manchester is the main city of that conurbation but the other towns have very little in common with each other, they have simply grown up 'around' Manchester. They don't have a corperate identity.
I think that the "Birmingham Metro Area" could support both an Official Birmingham Thread and an Official Black Country Thread. I've checked the other city threads and each has only one officially sanctioned thread. Maybe someone could put it to Woody?
I'm a proud inhabitant of these parts and have been bred and schooled in both Birmingham and the Black Country. Both areas have proud histories and exciting futures and I think this site should reflect that. But I'm only asking the question! Tell me what you think.
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #75
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

I think the Black Country is Birmingham. Well, a part of Greater Birmingham.

Ding Dong!
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #76
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

I agree, I'm not trying to suggest we take the Black Country out of Birmingham (cheeky!) but that the West Midlands is a special case. Yep, there is already a Black Country Thread... and a Wolverhampton thread, and a Dudley thread, and a Walsall thread which occasionally disappear off the front page due to lack of posts. Why not bring them together in an official thread so that folks from around the country as well as locally know exactly where to go for news on Black Country developments and concerns? I think it's about appreciating what we have here - and flaunting it.
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #77
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Ahh, we all had a leaflet come through our front doors the other day from Dudley Council advertising out local parks.

It's a lovely park near me, we have had 9 burnt out cars in the last few months, half the tress have been burnt down, the bowling green hasn't been cut in years, flowers are none existent, broken fencing, people racing on motor bikes with no helmets, tax or number plates, the old garden is no more and half the slabs are smashed up, kids shout abuse at anyone who walks past, oh they are usually drunk as well.

So, here is the leaflet....

Old July 31st, 2006, 01:42 AM   #78
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Whenever I drive past that park there's always kids hanging around and a couple of weeks ago as it was going dark I saw a fire engine IN the park putting out quite a big fire.

On a rainy day when no one is around the park looks pleasant when viewed from Mason Street.
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:51 AM   #79
rottersclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan
So, Dudley, I would say it is a part of Birmingham, so why does it suffer? Discuss.
High unemployment around Central Dudley.
Some of the lowest wages in the region. Local economy is based on low wages.
Huge shopping mall just down the road.
Low skill/Low pay jobs being the only new jobs in the borough (Service industry and manufacturing.)
Lack of Professional/Managerial jobs.
Lack of growth in high technology businesses.
General lack of diversity in the population.

Unemployment in Dudley is actually a lot lower than Brum, but if the jobs are all low paid jobs... And the town's been shafted by Merry hill, then you're boned.
rottersclub no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:28 AM   #80
nothingman

Likes (Received): 9

Merry HELL was such a bad idea, IMO....

They spend millions building it, without giving thought to the fact that a) it would rob trade from central Dudley and b) they put virtually no transport (road or rail) infrastructure in place to cope with the extra traffic.

I lived in the Midlands for nearly 17 years (between 1987 and 2004) and I witnessed the decline of Dudley in that time. Years ago, the place had its own railway station and it was far more thriving than it is today (and I'm sure it's got worse in the last 3 years since I've seen it).

It's sad, considering the fact that Dudley actually has a lot going for it -- history, great pubs, parks, a kick-ass zoo, a castle and extremely friendly people. Instead of building that pile of crap known as 'Merry Hill', they should have invested the money into Dudley town centre and improved transport links and even re-connect Dudley to the rail network.
nothingman no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
walsall, wolverhampton