Arena Central - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #101
blueboy

Likes (Received): 481

its some good news, and at least its still has nt gone away, if you look at this.......

650 in Eastgate (188m)
500 in ARENA CENTRAL (175m ???)
401 in Beetham (157m)
237 in Crown (131m)

then we may well be seeing ac at 175m after all????? depends on the size of the floor plate i suppose
blueboy no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #102
birminghamculture

Likes (Received): 2

Im starting to think AC will be something rather big ... the report said

Quote:
The initial proposal involved a 175 metre high tower, the tallest building outside London.

Those plans were thrown into doubt following the September 11 terrorist attacks.
But it doesnt say it was cancelled, It could be bad reporting or maybe Miller are gonna try and build as tall as they can, not to mention theres gonna be some retail and hopefully a hotel within the tower aswell

I think we are looking at something of at least 150m now, considering they have to fit 2.3m sqft of offices etc on a plot smaller then Masshouse which has 7 towers ranging from 45-75m and only 1.1m sqft of space
birminghamculture no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #103
birminghamculture

Likes (Received): 2

Oh and if the main tower is all residential/retail we should expect to see at least 1 office tower about 60-80m I would've thought
birminghamculture no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #104
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

a letter in the birmingham post today by an architecture proffessor shines a light on the Posts journalism, he states they they printed only half of his letter regards the eastside library and clears up the confusion between the Norwich Forum (whitbys inspiration) and the siansburys library at the university....he said Whitby was ignorant regarding architecture, lol, and the journalist too
brum2003 no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #105
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamculture
...But it doesnt say it was cancelled, It could be bad reporting or maybe Miller are gonna try and build as tall as they can, not to mention theres gonna be some retail and hopefully a hotel within the tower aswell ...
Might be a spot of cunning reporting BC - the report does kind of leave it open ended doesn't it? It doesn't categorically state either way.

Quote:
Oh and if the main tower is all residential/retail we should expect to see at least 1 office tower about 60-80m I would've thought
I guess it depends on where they want to place the offices. If it is going to be a mid/high rise then they won't want shadows being cast over the resi block.

Whatever happens, in order to cope with that amount of people, there needs to be one hell of an infrastructure upgrade, and the trams up Broad St would only form part of that. Is it beyond the realms of possiblility that there could be a railway station between Five Ways & New St?
Old September 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #106
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

lol the post dnt seem to be on the same planet....miller saying that the AC project wil not start fro another 6 months is not putting it on hold.....if anything this is great news lol!
Old September 18th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #107
Nacho

Likes (Received): 290

Woodhousen how was your trip to Spain?Where did you go?
Nacho no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #108
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic

Whatever happens, in order to cope with that amount of people, there needs to be one hell of an infrastructure upgrade, and the trams up Broad St would only form part of that. Is it beyond the realms of possiblility that there could be a railway station between Five Ways & New St?
The council fought for some time to have an underground heavy rail station to service the area .SR scuppered the project.There are tunnels around there and I remember reading a couple of years ago that AC will have to take these into account when development starts to safeguard their use sometime in the future.However,the Metro is the only peice of new infrastructure to serve the new development.A new bridge will be constructed to take it over The Queensway.AC will imagine be 'persuaded' to contribute to the Metro's funding.
Nacho no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #109
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
'persuaded' to contribute to the Metro's funding.
The following was printed in 98'!!

24th September 1998 Hampton Trust, which is hoping to redevelop the area around the former Central Television studios in Broad Street, pledged to invest £5M on building a tram stop outside its site and also £2M on highway safety. As yet planning permission has not been given for the development.
Nacho no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #110
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Nice one Nacho
Old September 21st, 2005, 07:52 PM   #111
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

well has anyone seen the new advert for Ballymore's "Pan Peninsula" next to Canary Wharf in the property papers? It's a slim 50 storey resi tower of fairly basic design with a 50th floor cocktail bar and holistic spa. Ballymore are developers for Snow Hill aren't they? the tower looks similar design to those renders we saw a while back of snow hill towers. Something like this would suite AC site perfectly.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea  
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:03 AM   #112
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Can we have them at Snow Hill instead??? Please!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM   #113
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 450

not on your life mate
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #114
brum2003

movement

part of the site is for sale, yes sale

the old tsb bank has a huge for sale banner.

not sure if they are selling the building to get funds to start the scheme or if this building is the first part pf the scheme

whatever, something is beginning, at last x
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #115
Nacho

Thanks for the update.
Nacho no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM   #116
brum2003

amazing, there is actually some real life action at Arena Central and NOBODY has a comment or anything to say ???? bizarre
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:18 PM   #117
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3887

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum2003
amazing, there is actually some real life action at Arena Central and NOBODY has a comment or anything to say ???? bizarre
We still havn't seen the plans so we don't know if the banks going to be kept or not (I hope kept, because it's a nice little building), maybe it's got nowt to do with AC at all.

Maybe someone could ask the sellers about the proposed AC as regards land lease or something. Remember to put your Sunday best accent on!
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:48 PM   #118
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

Give it another 15-20 years and we might just see some very small hoardings go up around the site - but then that might just be Tony Robinson and his weirdo beardo chums filming a new Time Team Special on the old ATV studios and Holiday Inn Hotel site.
Martin G no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:51 PM   #119
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

Sorry this has just reminded me. I spotted in Estates Gazette last week a full page advert for the old TSB building, and there were a couple of photo's of the two floors.

It's very grand inside with elaborate plasterwork typical of that age of banking building in Birmingham. Reminded me of the Bennets pub and the old midland bank which is now Webb Gray architects own office. I can't recall if it was being offered as an office or leisure opportunity but I did think I would make a fantastic restaurant.

Incidentally, I walked past exactly the same building - also a TSB - just off princes street in Edinburgh. That was strange
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea  
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:13 PM   #120
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1970

The TSB started in Brum along with Midland and Lloyds, proving that Brum wasn't just a dirty face but a nice clean and financial one too!
It's a lovely 30s building isn't it? Hopefully we'll get a fit out inside and a nice restaurant as Foxy says.
Advertisement

Closed Thread