103 Colmore Row | Former Natwest Tower| 35fl | 135/160m | Original Proposal | Canc. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #21
Tetsuro

Likes (Received): 0

Well, a plant or something, it seems to be growing from the top of it!! Take a look next time you are in town, it seems to be on the side facing towards St Phillips square! Very odd!
Tetsuro no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #22
Usherling

I don't want it knocked down seeing them beautiful photots. Build the new one on Broad Street
Usherling no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #23
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3888

Try and stick a tree Preservation order on the tree that's apparently growing on the top of it, that'll slow em down..

Anyone got any pictures of the buildings that were there before the Natwest tower?
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #24
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 450

glad to see the back of it, it does not fit in with the lovely victorian buildings that surrond it
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #25
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G

And this is it giving the defiant (extended) finger to all those detractors....

Actually, looking at this I don't care if it goes. Its only redeeming feature is the core extending above- other than that it is fairly nondescript. I will miss it from the skyline though

Floorplates are too small and the replacement looks pretty funky (if it gets thrpugh planning..)
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #26
Usherling

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm *Knock it down* he said in a tone of evil *KNOCK IT DOWN!!!!* I will miss it tough, awwwww bye bye. But yet again a modern funky building will be pretty good, and if the height gets extended it will be beautiful
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #27
Steve-e-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
Actually, looking at this I don't care if it goes. Its only redeeming feature is the core extending above- other than that it is fairly nondescript.

Hang on Bio, that's the extended 12" version. In the flesh the tower is much shorter than that. The core only protrudes a few metres above the third tier.
Steve-e-b no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #28
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

"extended 12" version"

Martin G no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #29
Confused Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlo_21
glad to see the back of it, it does not fit in with the lovely victorian buildings that surrond it
Neither does Selfridges!
Confused Philosopher no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #30
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-e-b

Hang on Bio, that's the extended 12" version. In the flesh the tower is much shorter than that. The core only protrudes a few metres above the third tier.
I wonder whether Martin G has been tinkering....
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #31
Usherling

I tought it was a bit tall
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:56 AM   #32
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

That's only cos the building is quite obviously saying "UP YOURS, DEMOLITION MUTHAFUKKAZ!!!!"
Martin G no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:30 PM   #33
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Funny how it looks better taller...

So what's happening to it these days, is it now empty? Any scaffolding going up? Or have the blown it up using some niffy implosion type thing?
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #34
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

Likes (Received): 4

It's just standing there empty, no scaffolding, no explosives .... nothing. I wouldn't mind getting up it with my camera before they tear it down.

CH
CargoHold no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #35
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

They should stick a big inflable santa on the top...
Old December 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #36
Usherling

Yeah... Let it bob in the wind... No Stick Early Bird up there instead...
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #37
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

Iíve Just watched the demolition program on Channel 4. There were a few 50's and brutal 60s / 70s buildings on there which people wanted knocking down and it's really brought home to me how much the Post and Mail building should have been saved and now how much we have to lose.

Most of the featured buildings were bad, blighting towns & peopleís lives but some were just architecturally unfashionable at the moment and very good buildings.

Birmingham has more than it's fair share of architectural unfashionable buildings, some good and some bad, but what's worrying me is that we're threatening to knock down the very good ones along with most of the bad.

Take Peat House for example Ė itís unsympathetic, uninteresting, of little significance and but can obviously have itís bloodline traced back to Natwest Tower.

Natwest is everything Peat House isnít and should be lauded for what it is, a precursor with character and intent Ė heavy and optimistic - unlike the proposed Colmore Centre.

Iím really at a loss with this old, albeit early visual as it looks to maximise floorplates for return and pushes the architectural debate with a gimmicky hammerhead roof.

Now I donít want to seem anti RBS Ė Theyíve been good for the city Ė but they stopped blocks 7 & 9 of Brindleyplace reaching their full potential by being bean counters and it appears that from said visual they would do the same if given the opportunity with Natwest. (I am guessing they own the land.)

Building stock of this era is gaining public credibility - especially within the capital - National Theater, Barbican, Trelic Tower, etc - and I really feel strongly that our Natwest must stay. Ok, it's on a prime site but I could see a quality BANK style restaurant bar in the banking hall, serviced or high-end small offices on the centre section and apartments at the top. Thatís viable isnít it?

Surely RBS aught to be encouraged to build another better building else were within the CBD with the money saved in clearing the site.

An uninformed heavy handed approach failed in the past and irreplaceable treasures such as Masons Hall, Central Library, Old New Street were knocked down and now it looks like we may do the same again.

The Post and Mail Tower should not have gone and I feel very strongly that we should be refurbishing and reusing both Natwest and Central Library.

I will be writing to my local MP!

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; December 19th, 2005 at 09:08 AM.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #38
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

[IMG]http://i1.************/xepkc5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.************/xepkxw.jpg[/IMG]
Bronze Natwest swastika doors. yum yum
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #39
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

So what's the latest with this.. it's definitly nolonger occupied

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #40
pauliewalnuts

Likes (Received): 9

Knocking it down will be a BIG mistake. It is big and brutal and ugly, but it is of its time, and it looks good where it is.
pauliewalnuts no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread