103 Colmore Row | Former Natwest Tower| 35fl | 135/160m | Original Proposal | Canc. - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 6th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #81
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

I wasn't even gonna mention Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny and Seven Little Girls Sitting so as not to offend...
Butterfield no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #82
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Did it post many times?

Silly Minefield, today's build is go damn buggy.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #83
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 274

Blimey this thread became popular again all of a sudden, did anyone actually answer Simon's question btw? A poll amongst the Bham forumers on this building would be interesting, should it stay or go? Personally I do like NWT with it's strange tree growing near the top.

Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #84
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3888

I'd like to see the plans for the new building, and anything from the Urban Splash plans, if they've got any.

But put me down for a stayer. At the moment.
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #85
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

If it is to be replaced, build something taller.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #86
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3888

but it needs a clean before it can stay!

Also I've just noticed on the first page I was up for replacing it, my, I'm soo ficcal!
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"

Last edited by Bachy Soletanche; July 8th, 2006 at 10:22 PM.
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #87
Smileyface
BAND AID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Robinson
I'd like to see the plans for the new building, and anything from the Urban Splash plans, if they've got any.

But put me down for a stayer. At the moment.
I'd love to see what Urban Splash would do with NWT
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #88
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Or the Birmingham Alliance.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old July 8th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #89
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555
If it is to be replaced, build something taller.
It's going for a low rise building. Grr.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #90
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

I can finally see the tree that Smileyface talks about - in that third picture of his. I honestly didn't think he was telling the truth all this time as prior to this pic, I hadn't ever seen it from any of the pictures previously put up here. Perhaps it's a rooftop garden for some of the more privileged members of staff back in the day?
Martin G no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #91
Smileyface
BAND AID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
I can finally see the tree that Smileyface talks about - in that third picture of his. I honestly didn't think he was telling the truth all this time as prior to this pic, I hadn't ever seen it from any of the pictures previously put up here. Perhaps it's a rooftop garden for some of the more privileged members of staff back in the day?
That's just one of them, there are several trees up there
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #92
Martin G

Well, can you prove this to me with some more exclusive pictures then squire??
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #93
Smileyface
BAND AID

There's an abundance up there....roaming herds of cyclops have been reported too

Last edited by Smileyface; July 9th, 2006 at 01:21 AM.
Smileyface no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #94
Martin G

Do you have the pics? Or are you going to tell me that they also keep herds of geese up there in the service cores too, in order to ward off potential terrorists?
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #95
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1981

This has gone out to the Post forthwith!! Expect to see it on Fri / Mon!

Dear Sir / Madam

I walk past the former NatWest Building every evening and I must say she is looking very forlorn now. The last I read / heard, was that it was going to be replaced with a new building (albeit lower in height) and containing the magic Grade A regulation office floor-plates, that Birmingham is sorely lacking. I have a quirky soft-spot for this particular 1970s tower, and am dreading the slight discomfort I last felt when I witnessed the former Post & Mail tower being demolished. There are, after all, plenty of other sites shortly coming available (like Masshouse) where more Grade A office space is being created.

I am of the opinion that the NatWest Building should be kept and re-launched as a different facility, like a top-notch hotel or apartment block. All she needs is the old banking hall to be spruced up in and out, with an expensive cladding scheme reaching up to the set-back, then the actual tower to be finished in a pure white render, to attain a really striking appearance. Just imagine what a development agency like Urban Splash could do with a building like NatWest!

Do we really need to keep knocking down our tall buildings that originate from the unfashionable 60s and 70s? Every architectural era makes a statement and I can think of some very poor ones that have been made just recently, mentioning no names!

On the subject of wiping away the DNA of our built environment, and in particular the future Longbridge Technology Park, I am not happy about the plans by Advantage West Midlands and Modwen Properties, to get rid of the steel bridge that crosses the Bristol Road there. Ok, so they can demolish the buildings, but why canít they retain this marvellous structure in skeleton form as an art exhibit and statement of 100 years of motor heritage? Itís nothing short of petty vandalism.
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #96
pauliewalnuts

Likes (Received): 9

I really love Nat West Tower, it is a big, brutal chunk of the city which needs to be preserved.

We pull this stuff down at our peril.
pauliewalnuts no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #97
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Here's a little piccy showing a variety of architectural styles... if Natwest was clean it would look better

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #98
Markb03

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
I dunno. From this pic of the Natwest building from Google earth i can only see one bit of green which is the tree i think

Markb03 no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #99
Blunther
Kebab Licker

Likes (Received): 74

There's another bit of green on the other side of the building. Go up from the tree, and you see another bit of (less obvious) tree. Maybe a smaller tree
Blunther está en línea ahora  
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #100
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I got this photo (which I put on Wikipedia) and it also happens to have a suicidal seagull ready to either drop a shit on me or rob the bag of chips I was carrying.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread