103 Colmore Row | Former Natwest Tower| 35fl | 135/160m | Original Proposal | Canc. - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #121
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 931

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
Looks like plans are well under way for an "iconic office building" as revealed in The Birmingham Post this morning.
What does that say then?
fruit&nut no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #122
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Not a lot unfortunately.

However, with just about everyone having an opinion on this site (as one of the most sensitive in the city) I can't imagine that BL will propose something crap.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it...
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #123
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

this will have to be one of the highest quality office blocks in the city, even better than the one next to it, which is an excellent example of good design imo!
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #124
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Council House, 125 Colmore Row & NatWest Tower.

FLD no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #125
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

I can remember being in a conversation with the head of planning for the city centre when Labour were in council and he really slated Nat West Tower, refering to it as a big brown ugly building and on ethat should go, at the time I dissagreed but after a long rethink, it adds little to the skyline and is unatractive from street level so I am looking forward to this going!!! providing the new building looks like the rendering, this part of the city and on to Colmore Row edging out towards the Jewellery Quarter has the highest quality of regeneration and NEW architecture in the city and up there with the best in Britain IMO.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #126
woodhousen

well EK we might as well forget the first rendering for the site, that has long gone!
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #127
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

I think a predominantly glass & steel structure for this site is wrong, & think a building of stone / sandstone would be more in keeping with the site. As for the height of a building to replace the NatWest Tower, I'm not sure. I'd like to see a computerised image from Victoria Square showing a 30 storey office building.
FLD no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #128
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
well EK we might as well forget the first rendering for the site, that has long gone!
shame... not sure a tall building here is right location? Paradise area maybe but not here IMO
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #129
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I kind of agree, but also think "well, Natwest was there so why not another"?

For the £25m they've paid, plus probably another £50m to rebuild it, it is likely to be big and top notch!
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #130
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Well HCT cost £50 million but the quality wasn't too brilliant.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #131
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
I kind of agree, but also think "well, Natwest was there so why not another"?

For the £25m they've paid, plus probably another £50m to rebuild it, it is likely to be big and top notch!
Well if it is going to be big, what about some kind of nod to Neo Gothic Brum encompassed in the design? I wouldn't care about the height.
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #132
flying tackle
time for a change

Likes (Received): 11

im not to piccy about height as long as its over around 40/50m. also, as long as it isnt made from transparent glass to give that see through image, (not that i dont like it, its just simply the wrong place) im not too fussed either.
so as some1 said earlier, a stone kind of look such as the one next door but with an origional design and a bit more height.
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #133
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
Well if it is going to be big, what about some kind of nod to Neo Gothic Brum encompassed in the design? I wouldn't care about the height.
That's getting my juices flowing (as it were!).

I think it is going to have to have a tower to be viable, but:

- a street-level section, maybe 5 storeys high, could be incorporated, with the tower stepped back.

- lots of points/triangles (I am thinking along the lines of Hudson Bay at the Central TV studios)

- detailed/layered facades.

Maybe British Land are also after the TSB building behind it? They could do something a bit mroe substantial and keep the tower away from Colmore Row then.
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #134
jef

Likes (Received): 5

I am used to post on the London forum. I do not believe I ever post on the Birmingham forum.

Today British Land (Leadenhall Building: 224m; Willis Building: 125m, Broadgate Tower: 165m) has announced what I believe is the most fantastic news ever for Birmingham skyscrapers enthusiasts. It also made the headline of Property Week.

British Land has today announced the decision to build an iconic skyscraper in this prime location of Birmingham. Height is unknown.
Expect something tall and top quality.

Here is the full story:http://www.britishland.com/pressrelease170107.htm

Press releases
Prime Birmingham City Office Development Secured
17/01/2007

British Land is expanding its provincial development portfolio with the addition of the former Nat West building in Colmore Row, Birmingham.

This prime city office site, located in the heart of Birmingham, was sold with vacant possession by Omega Land for £25 million.

British Land has appointed the architects Hamiltons to work with it to design a new high quality signature office building on what is widely believed to be the best office development site in central Birmingham.

Robert Samuel, Director of British Land Developments, said: “We have an established portfolio of development sites in the Midlands including Blythe Valley Business Park, Solihull and New Century Park, Coventry. We are pleased to have acquired this prime City centre site and are looking forward to working with Birmingham City Council and the local community to develop an iconic and attractive addition to Birmingham’s office skyline.”

Councillor Ken Hardeman, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Birmingham City Council, said: "Whatever form it takes, I am sure that the scheme will be of the highest quality to reflect our aspirations for this prominent site in the heart of our civic and commercial area. I look forward to working with British Land to deliver a landmark scheme which will enhance Birmingham's reputation as a global city."

Enjoy. Birmingham's future is bright.
jef no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #135
mahill
Interested Party

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post

Enjoy. Birmingham's future is bright.
Thanks for the post, it should be top quality

I'll be sad to see the Natwest tower go, yes it's ugly, yes the floorplates are too small, yes it's been empty for a while, yes the street level is poor, but it is an iconic shape. Still, it's progress innit?
mahill no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #136
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Uh oh. What words did I just see in the news article: landmark, iconic. Oh we're doomed !

The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #137
woodhousen

this does sound very promising and i think the constant reference to "skyline" is something we should be aware of!

i wait with baited breathe!
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #138
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1170

No No No, this is not the place for an iconic tower. It needs to be something thats nice enough when viewed on its own but doesn't steal focus from the historic architecture when seen from those areas.
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #139
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3888

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
But just imagine if they cleaned it, or even painted it the same cream colour as the the two Council House, that new one
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #140
woodhousen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
No No No, this is not the place for an iconic tower. It needs to be something thats nice enough when viewed on its own but doesn't steal focus from the historic architecture when seen from those areas.
yes, but can you not see that through smart design, you can have both... the great thing od stepping building back from the street front... similar to it now.... there is not reason why you cant have a nice 5 storey podium that fits in with the surrounding, and then step it back, and have a great glass, and mixed stone tower rising another 20/30 storeys!
Advertisement

Closed Thread