Martineau Galleries | Dale End | Major Mixed-Use Redevelopment | Original Proposal | Canc. - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #41
birminghamculture

Likes (Received): 2

110m? You sure
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #42
caw123

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
Courtesy of BCC, RTKL (with thanks to Spread)

Looks like 110m,11m,45m,24m,20m,25m and 48m. Pretty dense stuff.
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #43
birminghamculture

Oh thats great news, we needed something just over 100m - and this located right next to Masshouse and City Park Gate (90-100m) this, area should look pretty spectacular.

Very happy about that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #44
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I thought you might like that BC

A word of warning - this is only an indicative plan and the developer has gone for outline planning permission. As far as I know the hotel operator has not yet been signed-up so I suspect the tower will be a "max height" rather than definite.

That said, from what I know the building arrangement will not change too much and there are plans for 2 towers (one taller, one mid) so it's all good!

It is interesting that they are closing off the bottom end of the High St and reconfiguring it. It should make for a more interesting pedestrian experience.
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #45
birminghamculture

He He, any tower news is good news for me, Im already crossed of one of my predictions for 2006. only need another 3 towers proposed over 100m now

Got me render blood going to.

Old January 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #46
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw123
Looks like 110m,11m,45m,24m,20m,25m and 48m. Pretty dense stuff.
I'm a little confused by this. Are we sure these are the building hights.
Building number 2 is supposedly 11m high then?

But it looks the same hight on this sketch and 11m is awfully short for a building in this location..

[IMG]http://************/ilc9ko.jpg[/IMG]

i hate the way the existing priory square doesn't sit up opposit the lewis' builing (The Square Peg pub) to mirror it in a simialr hight.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #47
caw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels
That's how I read it, my eyesights hardly perfect though.
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #48
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels
I'm a little confused by this. Are we sure these are the building hights.

But it looks the same hight on this sketch and 11m is awfully short for a building in this location..

i hate the way the existing priory square doesn't sit up opposit the lewis' builing (The Square Peg pub) to mirror it in a simialr hight.
Building 2 is just over 44m according to this - that would make it around 11 floors - a shade taller than Lewis's?
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #49
Doyle

Likes (Received): 0

I'm not sure the significance of two numbers, but they are as follows:

1. 167.60m (44.90m)
2. 176.6m (44.54m)
3. 239.00m (110.0m)
4. 165.1m (45.80m)
5. 156.13m (28.50m)
6. 156.13m (29.50m)
7. 143.60m (24.00m)

Make of it what you will. The pdf is available from the BCC website.
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/PSR/con...er+Plan+A10.03

NB: I needed to change the extension to .pdf
Loads of other docs here too:
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Generat...&MENU_ID=12189
Doyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #50
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Thanks for that Doyle - that's where I got the image from. There's loads of stuff on the new portal (as pointed out by Spread) including environmental and traffic surveys.

The two figures represent height above sea level and (height relative to local datum).

As caw said - this is a pretty dense area! It should match the Rackhams and Lewis's buildings in terms of size and proportion - with one exception - a tower taller than the Rotunda
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #51
caw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle

1. 167.60m (44.90m)
2. 176.6m (44.54m)
3. 239.00m (110.0m)
4. 165.1m (45.80m)
5. 156.13m (28.50m)
6. 156.13m (29.50m)
7. 143.60m (24.00m)
The higher numbers are ASL/AOD heights. 239m is just below the CAA limit.
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #52
Biosonic
Second Citizen

It just occurred to me the number of "grandes projets" we have coming on-line.

2 over £500m (QE Hospital & Martineau Galleries, and a possible 3rd with Arena Central)
3 over £300m (New St Stn, Selly Oak Battery Park, Snowhill, and a possible 4th with the library)
5 over £100m (Cube, Masshouse, City Park Gate, Tally Ho!, Longbridge)

Old January 4th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #53
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle

1. 167.60m (44.90m)
2. 176.6m (44.54m)
3. 239.00m (110.0m)
4. 165.1m (45.80m)
5. 156.13m (28.50m)
6. 156.13m (29.50m)
7. 143.60m (24.00m)
Good i'm glad it says 44 not 11. Think they could've provided a better quality pic so we could've seen that.

110m is quite tall. Half way between Orion and HCT, and on higher ground than HCT so it will look really good on the skyline from the south/Digbeth... assuming it's a good building.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #54
Dee

Nice illustration but i would have thought the buildings would have been bigger given that the development is to be around the 2.9 million sq ft mark, thats makes it bigger than Arena Central and look at what we could get there. The development is nearly as big as Paradise Circus and the illustrative masterplan for that showed a couple of 100m towers and one around 60m plus several other buildings.

I would have thought there would be more towers in this, hopefully that will be the case.
Dee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #55
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 450

is there ANY chance demolition work will start this year??
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #56
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Best way to check is to see how far ahead The Academy are taking bookings. When they stop then we'll start!

I guess early 2007 minimum - they have only just applied for outline PP - this is the crunch time. If it is granted then they can start designing the buildings
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #57
brumthom

Likes (Received): 51

anyone know whats happening to the academy? birmingham has far too few gig venues for a city its size as it is and the academy is the only medium sized one.

i was thinking the town hall which used to have gigs in the 70s but i doubt it - i reckon it'll be used for more 'highbrow' things. an old warehouse in digbeth would be really good cos it's already seen as an alternative place what with the custard factory/med bar, barfly, sanctuary, irish centre and the rainbow.
brumthom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #58
Jam35

Likes (Received): 0

I'm semi-impressed, semi-disappointed, and semi-unsurprised (and no, I'm not one and a half people).

I'm glad that finally the eastern side of Old Square would be getting some height back (and you *would* cry if you saw the wonderful Second Empire style Opera House that used to close in the eastern edge). But the shape is so dull - Priory Qway is left widening gradually into the square, with the new building neither defining the line of Corp St (as the original did), nor mirroring the curve of Lewis's.

The spacing of buildings 2, 3, and 4 is somewhat unoriginal. The passage between 2 and 3 follows the current version slavishly, neither providing a mirror to the Minories and heading into Old Square, nor aligning with the re-extended Dalton Street.

Building 6 would finally kill off what's left of Albert Street. I was hoping from earlier indications in this thread that McDonalds would go and the great Curzon Street - Duddeston Row - Albert Street axis re-opened through to High Street, firmly linking Eastside back into town. Because of the half-backsided half-redevelopment of Martineau Square, we had little hope of getting the Martineau Street end of the axis back (and I am unsurprised at the failure to list this block for dynamiting, but I am concerned it will make Corporation Street and areas west somewhat out-on-a-limb, and that they may consequently go to hell). But anyway, between what Moor Street's looking like and the positioning of Building 6, Albert Street will end up being a glorified service entrance.

I am also unimpressed by the totally randomly shaped space left at the High St / Dale End / Bull St / Albert St. With more care, this could have been a segment of a circle, with routes radiating off it, serving as something more of a place rather than another street-corner.

But that's enough whinging. I *love* the curve at the Corp St end of Building 1 - the way it's almost leaping across at Upper Bull Street almost makes up for the loss of Martineau St. The small squares in the middle also are just perfect.

It's now getting way too late, but I'll draw up a modified plan of "how I'd do it better" (which is only fair given my ability to be a carping critic) over the next few days, and someone mentioned earlier that they hadn't seen pictures of old Birmingham - I may have a day with my scanner tomorrow.
Jam35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #59
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14383

well i cant view that pdf. i get the error - "file does not begin with pdf". how many floors are there for each building?
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #60
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

ive been looking for ages and i cant find a number.

using our rules it could be anything between 26 storeys (office) and 36 storeys (residential)
Advertisement

Tags
eastside