Martineau Galleries | Dale End | Major Mixed-Use Redevelopment | Original Proposal | Canc. - Page 68 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2019, 03:57 PM   #1341
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1579

Another Arena Central with a nice green square in the middle would be good. We need more green space in the city centre

rotundazag, Kingsheathen liked this post
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2019, 07:06 PM   #1342
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4493

Can somebody please enlighten me as to who the architects are for MG?
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2019, 07:16 PM   #1343
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Can somebody please enlighten me as to who the architects are for MG?
Hammerson?
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2019, 08:46 PM   #1344
jonfsnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasaandoo View Post
Honeslty I’m just happy that it going to be better then what we have there atm. I hope it high quality with a towers as it’s fulcrum point. This is going to be mixed used, residential, offices, leisure as it straight outside Curzon Street. It has to be good, and I’m sure Hammerson know this as it the first thing people will see when they come into Birmingham.
Agree with this wholeheartedly, doesn't have to be massively tall, it just needs to be high quality and not provide a barrier between the city centre proper and east side. People walk up to the Square and think it's dodgy and don't go any further.

This would be good news for expanding the CBD and HOPEFULLY if the scheme is partly aimed at providing new office space for all the law firms currently occupying all the beautiful victorian buildings at the end of corporation street that frees them up for renovation and turning them into the unique, quirky and spectacular bars and restaurants that you find in old buildings in London and Manchester, Bham seems to lack those sorts of spaces.
Old March 28th, 2019, 10:44 PM   #1345
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwebb View Post
Hammerson?

They're the owners. Who are the architects drawing up the new plans? Someone must now.
Old March 28th, 2019, 10:56 PM   #1346
jezc

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
They're the owners. Who are the architects drawing up the new plans? Someone must now.
I think it's Glenn Howells, maybe doing Masterplan. I'm sure they are involved in some way with this

RalphGuy, jonfsnow liked this post
jezc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:06 PM   #1347
jonfsnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezc View Post
I think it's Glenn Howells, maybe doing Masterplan. I'm sure they are involved in some way with this
Some similarities with NGS but it doesn't look like the type of masterplan render that GH would release, it'd either be incredibly detailed (paradise) or a bit of a watercolour/linedrawing style (Eastside)... This is sort of in the middle... You're probably right though

Last edited by jonfsnow; March 28th, 2019 at 11:13 PM.
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:14 PM   #1348
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezc View Post

You're not 100% sure though. My guess would be Glenn Howells or Glancy Nicholls. We were supposed to be hearing something before the end of last year but we're almost April and we've still heard nothing.

Like a few others here, the height isn't so important for me here. I would be happy with a Paradise or Arena Central type development with a nice public square and a few 25+ storey towers

jonfsnow, Kingsheathen liked this post
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:33 PM   #1349
Brum X

Likes (Received): 16929

Quote:
You're not 100% sure though. My guess would be Glenn Howells or Glancy Nicholls. We were supposed to be hearing something before the end of last year but we're almost April and we've still heard nothing.

Like a few others here, the height isn't so important for me here. I would be happy with a Paradise or Arena Central type development with a nice public square and a few 25+ storey towers
Just for you Ralph as I can feel your tension building.

EPR Architects pre-planning proposal for Dale End “Our proposals, developed to be highly phaseable, include more than 1,000,000 sqft of office space, 1,100 residential apartments and 50,000 sqft of complementary retail, all focused around a well-connected, vibrant public realm.”

RalphGuy, Kingsheathen liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:36 PM   #1350
Brum X

Likes (Received): 16929

Or maybe not as I think that might be the old proposal with the taller towers.

RalphGuy liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:41 PM   #1351
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Just for you Ralph as I can feel your tension building.

EPR Architects pre-planning proposal for Dale End “Our proposals, developed to be highly phaseable, include more than 1,000,000 sqft of office space, 1,100 residential apartments and 50,000 sqft of complementary retail, all focused around a well-connected, vibrant public realm.”

Blimey, is it that obvious. Mind you, I don't think database errors are doing me any good tonight.

Thanks for your effort X but unfortunately epr didn't get the contract. Hopefully though, the chosen scheme will have similar mixed use square footage, perhaps with a hotel too, as I quite liked the epr scheme.

jonfsnow, Brum X, Kingsheathen liked this post
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:44 PM   #1352
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Or maybe not as I think that might be the old proposal with the taller towers.

I wondered what was going on for a sec. That said, there's that many proposals around it's easy to get mixed up. Six or seven years ago, it was easy to remember all the proposals in Birmingham and some other cities. Not these days and I hope it stays that way for many years to come.

Brum X, Kingsheathen, Rijowhi liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2019, 09:01 PM   #1353
DE51GNR

Likes (Received): 239

They need to lose the red - looks like the Town Hall car park opposite The Mailbox!!
DE51GNR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
eastside