BHX & CVT News.... - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #1
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

BHX & CVT News....

Destinations

BIRMINGHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

facts and figs

Code – BHX

Runway Length – 2255m/7400ft

Runway Capacity – 747-400 capable with limited loads

Pax figures for 2005 – 9,388,754 (+ 5.8%)

DESTINATIONS
Austria – Innsbruck, Salzburg, Vienna
Barbados - Barbando
Belgium – Brussels
Bulgaria – Sofia, Plovdiv, Varna, Bourgas
Canada -Toronto
Crotatia – Pula, Split, Dubrovnik
Cyprus – Larnaca, Paphos
Czech Rep – Prague
Denmark – Billund, Copenhagen
Dominican Rep. - Dominican Republic
Egypt – Sharm el sheikh, Hurghada, Luxor
Finland – Helsinki, Rovaniemi, Kitilla
France – Lourdes, Perpignan, Toulous, Nice, Grenoble, Chambery, Lyon, Geneva, Bergerac, Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Brest, Paris, Bastia
Germany – Hamburg, Hanover, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Munich
Greece – Corfu, Kefalonia, Zakynthos, Kalamata, Kavala, Thessalonika, Volos, Skiathos, Santorini, Chania, Heraklion.
Holland – Amsterdam
Iceland – Reykjavik
India - Delhi, Amristar, Goa
Iran - Tehran
Ireland – Dublin, Knock, Cork
Italy – Bolzano, Milan, Bergamo, Turin, Verona, Pisa, Alghero, Perugia, Rome, Naples
Malta – Malta
Mexico - Cancun
Morocco – Agadir
Norway – Fargernes
Pakistan – Islamabad, Lahore
Poland – Warsaw
Portugal – Faro, Funchal
Slovakia – Brataslava
Slovenia – Ljubljana
Spain – Arracife, Fuerteventura, Las Palma, Tenerife South, Malaga, Almeria, Murcia, Alicante, Rues, Barcelona, Gerona, Madrid, Ibiza, Palma, Mahon
Sweden – Gothernburg, Stockholm
Switzerland – Bern, Zurich
Tunisia – Monastir
Turkey – Izmar, Bodrum, Dalaman, Antalya
Turkmenistan – Ashkhabad
UAE – Dubai
UK – Belfast, Newquay, Isle of man, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness
USA - New York, Orlando, St Petersburg
Uzbekistan – Tashkent

COVENTRY AIRPORT

facts and figs

Code – CVT

Runway Length – 1615m/5300ft

Runway Capacity – unknown

Pax figures for 2005 – 719,124 (+ 55.4%)

DESTINATIONS
Austria – Salzburg
France – Lyon, Paris
Holland – Amsterdam
Italy – Pisa
Portugal – Faro
Spain – Barcelona, Alicante, Valencia, Malaga, Palma, Ibiza
UK - Jersey

Right then, although on paper it would be clear to see who is the bigger airport, things are set to change. With the growth of air travel set to continue to rise, what do you lot think should happen. There are the facts, what do you lot think.

Let debate begin……..
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Easy. BHX all the way.

I am not going to have a pop at Cov because I like Coventrarians (or whatever they are called) but, contrary to the spokesman's opinion in today's Birmingham Post letters page, Coventry already has an airport - BIA.

I DO NOT SEE THE POINT IN HAVING 2 AIRPORTS A FEW MILES AWAY FROM EACH OTHER. BHX is the established one and has been earmarked by the gov't for expansion. If Cov were to threaten this then it would set the West Mids back by years.

I hear the Cov forum mention that at the moment the airspace is not an issue. But it is guaranteed that it will be in the future and people will look back and wonder what we were doing letting the 2 airports go the way they are.

And whilst I am on the subject, I think the Green Party member who wrote to The Post a couple of days ago is so short-sighted it is embarassing. He suggested that runway building and airport expansion is not very enviromentally friendly, and predicted that when fuel prices rise and tax is imposed on the airline industry, planes will fall out of favour.

It isn't environmentally friendly, but if we don't expand our airport, the passengers won't think "OK I Won't fly" - they'll just fly from somewhere else. And in order to meet lower emissions and get better value for money, we need to fly larger planes with more people in them. We can't do this until we have longer runway.
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #3
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 102

I understand Coventry wish to go for 2 million pax per year, BHX is well on course for 10 million pax per year, show me anywhere else in the world where there are 2 airports with such capacity within 7 miles of each other.

Expanding COV is bizzare and not needed, there is plenty of competition for BHX with EMA, MAN and to a lesser extent STN, LTN and LHR all within a 2-3 hour drive.

The midlands needs a strong aiport capable of attracting airliners and routes to develop alongisde our region, we do not need an opportunistic airport that will never be able to be bigger or even comparable with BHX. All epxansion at COV will do is stop BHX expanding, and that would be a disaster for our region.

BHX all the way for me.
hammerb24 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #4
woodhousen

i have heard that the CAA are actively compiling a report that state infact that Cov does impact on the airpace of BHX now and that further expansion should not be allowed as it would go against its very own white paper.... for once the CAA appear to be on birmingham side.

I also thought that it was rich of Cov airport to state that the only reason that BHX does not want cov to expand is for no other reason than bhx profits...however, it is clear to see that a city to size of cov does not need an airport of its own, esp when it has the 5th largest airport in the country right down the road....... so im sorry, to me it sounds like the only real reason cov wants to expand is for their own financial gain..

infact its easier for most peope in cov to get to BHX than it is for me who lives in harborne to get to BHX

COVENTRY ALREADY HAS A PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPORT....BIRMINGHAM
Old January 27th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #5
sparkie

Likes (Received): 2

Think back a few years ago when they was going to try and build super airport between Coventry and Rugby. Just think of the affect that would of had on BHX.
Coventry airport is good for coventry people and business in the city and Warwickshire.
I am not saying that Cov needs to expand much more, as the main the internal airport for region is BHX.
sparkie no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #6
woodhousen

lol well the proposal to build a new aiport between cov and rug was in line with closing the exsisting BHX.

im not saying CVT doesnt have benefits, ofcourse it does...but u need to consider greaters good..... west midlands...population over 3million, warwichshire????
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #7
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 102

[QUOTE=sparkie]Coventry airport is good for coventry people and business in the city and Warwickshire.
QUOTE]

If you can name me one route currently offered out of COV that benefits local business I'll be very impressed. All routes out of COV are low cost leisure orientated routes. How many businesses are benefiting from a loco flight to Alicante ?

An expanding and robust BHX is good for Coventry business, a bunch of low cost flights that already available from BHX and EMA are not.
hammerb24 no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #8
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 87

Well obviously I would always back BHX over Coventry. BIA needs to be seen to be catering for the world and not just a few destinations in Europe. It also needs to expand to see off any thoughts of Milton Keynes wanting an airport of their own in the not too distant future(still a pipe dream but MK is expanding and there have been rumours of another London-feeder airport in the MK area that could potentially be huge in size and capacity).

BIA has to monopolise the Midlands area and keep apace with expansion in the SE and NW otherwise people just won't bother coming here.

My only concern with expanding BIA is what effects it will have on building talls in BCC baring in mind the CAAs rather draconian laws on how tall an office can be built if the airport is relatively close to a dense city centre and is in line of a runway flight path (which isn't the case at the moment but might be if expansion goes ahead over the next few years)

But for now, Coventry airport should wake up and realise competition between the two airports is bad for the region overall
Sonny97 no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #9
Usherling

Likes (Received): 0

Birmingham Aiport.....Duh.....Look at all the destinations the more popularity the future of Birmingham airport is destined for more growth and more destinations....And plus I don't like Coventry airport....
Usherling no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #10
woodhousen

it is for reason like this we need a big airport like BHX for the midlands

Quote:
ABTN report.
BIRMINGHAM is to be linked non-stop to Doha from 26 March with Qatar
Airways offering a four times per week service. Doha, capital of the
Gulf area state of Qatar, is a major hub for much of the Middle East
and for many destinations on the Indian subcontinent. Announcing the
new route the airline's chief executive officer Akbar Al Baker
said, "All our operations covering Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester are
performing extremely well. Birmingham is a natural progression for us,
the UK a major market." He also confirmed that the Manchester flights
would go from four to five from 11 February and daily at the beginning
of the summer season 26 March. Airbus A330 aircraft, in a two-class
configuration as used for Manchester, will also service Birmingham.
the middle east id fast becoming oe of the richest business locations and this 4 wekly route to Doha, alng with our twice daily flights to Dubai will prove very beneficial to business in the midlands.....
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #11
woodhousen

this is now set to be a regular sight at BHX from march

Old January 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #12
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I had a cough from Qatar once. That's what the pharmacist said anyway.
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #13
majormystery
All hail to the ale.

Heres an idea. With the airports being so close - why not use Coventry as an additional terminal for Birmingham. It would enable service overlap to be cut and offer greater choice for passengers. It could be like having one airport with 2 runways.
majormystery no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #14
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1964

And a very regular bus service to take passengers and luggage to Terminals 1 and 2 @ BHX. In an ideal world yes!
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #15
woodhousen

well however, this would not solve the runway allignment clash....... the two runways are at right angles to eachother which means traffic from each airport cross eachother path....... only case of such in the UKif theywere parallel it wouldnt be such a problem
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #16
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

When I've flown into BHX and have had a window seat - if approaching from the SE the plane goes directly over CVT but at about 4-5000 ft altitude - I don't think that is as dangerous as everybody thinks. Air Traffic Control are very skilled at stacking traffic and I understand BHX and CVT are kept well apart by having opposite stacking procedures.
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #17
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

A rough idea - I know also that aircraft generally like to take off and land into the wind, so I would think that both airports would use their Northerly manoeuvres when a southerly's blowin'!
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #18
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 450

i really dont see how the country will be able to support all these new expended airports what with the pressure to tax airline companies for the fuel they use, could we have too many??
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #19
Steve-e-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlo_21
i really dont see how the country will be able to support all these new expended airports what with the pressure to tax airline companies for the fuel they use, could we have too many??
I'd say we do.
You only need a degree in finance from the university of common-sense to work out that most low-budget airlines aren't viable businesses. Offering tickets for a few pounds only works if you can fill each flight. Therefore only the two or three most successful low-budget airlines will keep afloat.
Airports that have expanded or are expanding to provide low-budget flights will soon find the pinch when the low-budget bubble bursts.
Steve-e-b no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #20
woodhousen

i do believe you have grasped the very reasonw hy coventry is sooo keen to expand to find sercurity
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
birmingham, coventry