BHX & CVT News.... - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #21
woodhousen
Moderator
 
woodhousen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Leeds/Birmingham, UK
Posts: 15,661
Likes (Received): 1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
it is for reason like this we need a big airport like BHX for the midlands



the middle east id fast becoming oe of the richest business locations and this 4 wekly route to Doha, alng with our twice daily flights to Dubai will prove very beneficial to business in the midlands.....
it would seem that at the moment, the marketing team at Qatar are denying everythihg to do with this bhx route........ both the london marketing team and doha head office...... but this story was int he times and on ABTN...so where have they got this from????

watch this space
__________________
Simply BIRMINGHAM
woodhousen no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #22
Steve-e-b
Registered User
 
Steve-e-b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: near Springfield, Birmingham
Posts: 723
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
And whilst I am on the subject, I think the Green Party member who wrote to The Post a couple of days ago is so short-sighted it is embarassing. He suggested that runway building and airport expansion is not very enviromentally friendly, and predicted that when fuel prices rise and tax is imposed on the airline industry, planes will fall out of favour.
I share the concern over the environmental costs of air travel, there is no doubt air travel is harming the environment. I believe it is up to the government to introduce heavy taxes - not to deter air travel but to instigate research to find cleaner and greener fuels.
But I don't share the vision of the future (planes falling out of favour) - which is a little short-sighted.

While air travel should not be regarded as a necessity, it is important to business and anything important to business is worth investing into. I'd be surprised if airlines and fuel companies are not already researching alternative fuels (we already know we're going to run out of oil some day). It's up to governments to force the issue and make this research more critical by hitting the airlines' pockets. The expansion of airports has no bearing on that.
Steve-e-b no está en línea  
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #23
Engels
Simples
 
Engels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 5,784
Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-e-b
I'd say we do.
You only need a degree in finance from the university of common-sense to work out that most low-budget airlines aren't viable businesses. Offering tickets for a few pounds only works if you can fill each flight.
No and er Yes


Most low budget airlines ARE viable businesses because the low cost model is so successful. That's because they are so good at flying a large majority of their routes close to full at some very odd times of the day/week/year.

An empty seat makes no money of course but a plane with 70% of it's seats sold 2-weeks before depature is making a huge profit on the last 30% which are marked up.

I have flown to Amsterdam about 10-12 times over the last 2 years all on low budget flights from Birmingham, Coventry, Luton & Heathrow (not low cost).
I have flown at some very odd times such as through Cov at 6.05am on a wednesday or back in at 11.30pm and generally find that the flights are pretty full. I generally find myself booking Monday night, or tuesday morning flights returning from a long weekend as these are the only cheap flights avaliable at 3-4 weeks notice at the discount rate.


This is the success of the low cost model.
Advertise the cheap flights which are avaliable if you book early.. or late on a quiet midweek flight but make money on the premium you can charge for the busy times.

This is not a model that will be upset by a 20% tax surcharge on fuel when it hasn't been upset by a 200% rise in the costs of fuel because of the oil price rise.. all this while infact numbers of travelers have soared.

It's a real increase in demand for airtravel that is pushing the expansion plans of all airports. Expansion at Birmingham and competition from coventry is economically vital for our region whatever the enviromental arguments.. by all means we should have a tax on aviation fuel at an EU wide level, but a new terminal then runway at BHX too.
__________________
You were born poor, naked and helpless. Everything in your life was given to you, the food you ate, the clothes you wore, the shelter you received. Most importantly of all you received an education.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!

Last edited by Engels; January 30th, 2006 at 06:48 PM.
Engels no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #24
Engels
Simples
 
Engels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 5,784
Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-e-b
While air travel should not be regarded as a necessity...
It is to people who have to maintain long distance relationships...

it will be increasingly more so in the future as globalisation increases migration flows arround the world... and esspecially in Europe as EU citizens move arround the continent.
__________________
You were born poor, naked and helpless. Everything in your life was given to you, the food you ate, the clothes you wore, the shelter you received. Most importantly of all you received an education.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:50 PM   #25
hammerb24
Registered User
 
hammerb24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,665
Likes (Received): 102

Latest from Qatar airways is that they are indeed looking at BHX but not in the near future. It may well be that they have secured slots at the airport in preparedness but it looks at least 12 months before any service commences.

On a slightly more positive note look out for Air India to expand their Amritsar and Toronto services from 3 to 6 times per week soon and look out for Jet Airways to announce a 4x weekly BHX to Amritsar service soon.
hammerb24 no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:46 PM   #26
Steve-e-b
Registered User
 
Steve-e-b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: near Springfield, Birmingham
Posts: 723
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels
It is to people who have to maintain long distance relationships...
it will be increasingly more so in the future as globalisation increases migration flows arround the world... and esspecially in Europe as EU citizens move arround the continent.
I was thinking in the context of low-cost airlines and flights within Europe, particularly for holidays.
Air travel is the only practical mode of transport for getting to America, Asia, etc, but for intra-continental travel there are alternatives. If we had to reduce the number of flights for environmental reasons, these would be the first to go.
Steve-e-b no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:40 PM   #27
Sonny97
Registered User
 
Sonny97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rubery, bIRmiNGhaM (or is it BrOMsgRoVe?)
Posts: 956
Likes (Received): 87

I hope the chiefs at BIA try to create routes to the far east, especially China and its growing sphere of influence. If we can tap their potential to invest in Brum then it could mean more service-sector busines & "invisibles" taking up office space here in the city, which will push up rents on limited supply which will act as a catalyst for further office developments and hopefully decent-sized skyscrapers.

BIA must act now to get this kind of business because if they do succeed then it will make further expansion of the airport far more justified over any other local bid
Sonny97 no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:06 PM   #28
woodhousen
Moderator
 
woodhousen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Leeds/Birmingham, UK
Posts: 15,661
Likes (Received): 1017

i think birmingham has a good thing going at the moment..... on percentage of long haul route, we have the heighest 5 out of all uk airports going to the middle east and south asia...unfort as a result of our shorter runway, we cant travel much further than india non-stop but that should change in the next 5 years
__________________
Simply BIRMINGHAM
woodhousen no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:26 PM   #29
Sonny97
Registered User
 
Sonny97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rubery, bIRmiNGhaM (or is it BrOMsgRoVe?)
Posts: 956
Likes (Received): 87

Agreed. But I always like to see our council/BIA plan ahead and not get complacent with their current successes. We need to be a fluid position if we're going be able to compete with not only UK countries for business but also European otherwise we'll get left behind still trying to catch up with other cities who took the mid to long term view. Admittedly BIA have submitted plans for extending the present runway, and possibly have a second main runway. But these are just proposals with lots of obstacles in the way. BIA and BCC must fight really hard to get these plans rubber stamped otherwise rival airports might benefit.
Sonny97 no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:55 PM   #30
woodhousen
Moderator
 
woodhousen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Leeds/Birmingham, UK
Posts: 15,661
Likes (Received): 1017

well the airport is currently rebuilding the terminal and having new stabnds constructed and a new internation airbridge to cope with bigger aircraft... the runway extension is currently being drawn up with solihull council who back the scheme also.....

its the 2nd runway where theres the difference in opinion.

again, bhx is forcasting a fall in number this year of 3% as a direct result of CVT...however, with new airlines to be annouced, this may change...
__________________
Simply BIRMINGHAM
woodhousen no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:01 AM   #31
Sonny97
Registered User
 
Sonny97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rubery, bIRmiNGhaM (or is it BrOMsgRoVe?)
Posts: 956
Likes (Received): 87

Why is trying to develop Birmingham never easy? there always seems to be at least one obstacle that gets in its way: in this case, chiefly CVT and their lofty ambitions.
Sonny97 no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:15 AM   #32
woodhousen
Moderator
 
woodhousen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Leeds/Birmingham, UK
Posts: 15,661
Likes (Received): 1017

well its all worth it wen it all happenes...and us brummies are made of harder stuff
__________________
Simply BIRMINGHAM
woodhousen no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:52 AM   #33
hammerb24
Registered User
 
hammerb24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 1,665
Likes (Received): 102

Some more bad and potentially bad news for BHX.

Germanwings have confirmed they're dropping the Cologne service from Mar 26th and CSA are apparently dropping Prague for this summer.

On the positive front BA are resuming flights to Belfast and are rumoured to be resuming flights to Berlin and Lufhtansa are adding an extra daily flight to Dusseldorf.
hammerb24 no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:04 AM   #34
woodhousen
Moderator
 
woodhousen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Leeds/Birmingham, UK
Posts: 15,661
Likes (Received): 1017

this aint really bad news, has been known about for a while in bhx circles..

lufthansa has increased frequency of their dussuldorf routes to allow for germanwings and CSA has had to pull out due to the competition faced when bmibaby launched the same route
__________________
Simply BIRMINGHAM
woodhousen no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:29 AM   #35
rottersclub
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,703
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
Destinations

BIRMINGHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

facts and figs

Code – BHX

Runway Length – 2255m/7400ft

Runway Capacity – 747-400 capable with limited loads

Pax figures for 2005 – 9,388,754 (+ 5.8%)

DESTINATIONS
Austria – Innsbruck, Salzburg, Vienna
Barbados - Barbando
Belgium – Brussels
Bulgaria – Sofia, Plovdiv, Varna, Bourgas
Canada -Toronto
Crotatia – Pula, Split, Dubrovnik
Cyprus – Larnaca, Paphos
Czech Rep – Prague
Denmark – Billund, Copenhagen
Dominican Rep. - Dominican Republic
Egypt – Sharm el sheikh, Hurghada, Luxor
Finland – Helsinki, Rovaniemi, Kitilla
France – Lourdes, Perpignan, Toulous, Nice, Grenoble, Chambery, Lyon, Geneva, Bergerac, Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Brest, Paris, Bastia
Germany – Hamburg, Hanover, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Munich
Greece – Corfu, Kefalonia, Zakynthos, Kalamata, Kavala, Thessalonika, Volos, Skiathos, Santorini, Chania, Heraklion.
Holland – Amsterdam
Iceland – Reykjavik
India - Delhi, Amristar, Goa
Iran - Tehran
Ireland – Dublin, Knock, Cork
Italy – Bolzano, Milan, Bergamo, Turin, Verona, Pisa, Alghero, Perugia, Rome, Naples
Malta – Malta
Mexico - Cancun
Morocco – Agadir
Norway – Fargernes
Pakistan – Islamabad, Lahore
Poland – Warsaw
Portugal – Faro, Funchal
Slovakia – Brataslava
Slovenia – Ljubljana
Spain – Arracife, Fuerteventura, Las Palma, Tenerife South, Malaga, Almeria, Murcia, Alicante, Rues, Barcelona, Gerona, Madrid, Ibiza, Palma, Mahon
Sweden – Gothernburg, Stockholm
Switzerland – Bern, Zurich
Tunisia – Monastir
Turkey – Izmar, Bodrum, Dalaman, Antalya
Turkmenistan – Ashkhabad
UAE – Dubai
UK – Belfast, Newquay, Isle of man, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness
USA - New York, Orlando, St Petersburg
Uzbekistan – Tashkent

COVENTRY AIRPORT

facts and figs

Code – CVT

Runway Length – 1615m/5300ft

Runway Capacity – unknown

Pax figures for 2005 – 719,124 (+ 55.4%)

DESTINATIONS
Austria – Salzburg
France – Lyon, Paris
Holland – Amsterdam
Italy – Pisa
Portugal – Faro
Spain – Barcelona, Alicante, Valencia, Malaga, Palma, Ibiza
UK - Jersey

Right then, although on paper it would be clear to see who is the bigger airport, things are set to change. With the growth of air travel set to continue to rise, what do you lot think should happen. There are the facts, what do you lot think.

Let debate begin……..
There is no debate. CVT has only resumed passenger services recently, and is a much smaller airport. Your point is? What? It only has ambitions to do 2 million PAX [Despite a theoretical max of 9 million a year, plus a runway that could be extended very easily.].
rottersclub no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:30 AM   #36
rottersclub
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,703
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
i have heard that the CAA are actively compiling a report that state infact that Cov does impact on the airpace of BHX now and that further expansion should not be allowed as it would go against its very own white paper.... for once the CAA appear to be on birmingham side.

I also thought that it was rich of Cov airport to state that the only reason that BHX does not want cov to expand is for no other reason than bhx profits...however, it is clear to see that a city to size of cov does not need an airport of its own, esp when it has the 5th largest airport in the country right down the road....... so im sorry, to me it sounds like the only real reason cov wants to expand is for their own financial gain..

infact its easier for most peope in cov to get to BHX than it is for me who lives in harborne to get to BHX

COVENTRY ALREADY HAS A PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPORT....BIRMINGHAM
That it not true in the slightest. It is much easier (And cheaper by cab) for people to get to CVT from most parts of Coventry.
rottersclub no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:37 AM   #37
rottersclub
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,703
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
i have heard that the CAA are actively compiling a report that state infact that Cov does impact on the airpace of BHX now and that further expansion should not be allowed as it would go against its very own white paper.... for once the CAA appear to be on birmingham side.

I also thought that it was rich of Cov airport to state that the only reason that BHX does not want cov to expand is for no other reason than bhx profits...however, it is clear to see that a city to size of cov does not need an airport of its own, esp when it has the 5th largest airport in the country right down the road....... so im sorry, to me it sounds like the only real reason cov wants to expand is for their own financial gain..

infact its easier for most peope in cov to get to BHX than it is for me who lives in harborne to get to BHX

COVENTRY ALREADY HAS A PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPORT....BIRMINGHAM
NATS are writing a report. The CAA did not say anything on the matter at the public enquiry as they are awaiting this report. However, at present, both airports can exist without any problems.

"so im sorry, to me it sounds like the only real reason cov wants to expand is for their own financial gain.."

-- Oh my God, a business wants to make money? Well bless my soul, I never expected that. Yes, of course they want more passengers. Passenger == profit, and when the airport was under council control it was losing 1 million a year (Which was being plugged by the council.) Let's get this straight - Coventry Airport isn't going away. If they don't get a terminal, they'll get freight and business jets.
rottersclub no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:40 AM   #38
rottersclub
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,703
Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=hammerb24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie
Coventry airport is good for coventry people and business in the city and Warwickshire.
QUOTE]

If you can name me one route currently offered out of COV that benefits local business I'll be very impressed. All routes out of COV are low cost leisure orientated routes. How many businesses are benefiting from a loco flight to Alicante ?

An expanding and robust BHX is good for Coventry business, a bunch of low cost flights that already available from BHX and EMA are not.
From the local press:
"A new 4.5 million pound office park is to be constructed on the Middlemarch estate adjacent to Coventry Airport. The Cobalt Centre which could create 350 jobs will feature 13 office suites and will be designed to appeal to inward investors and expanding companies.

Chris Swan the managing director of Cobalt is quoted as saying that the rising profile of Coventry Airport may well help to attract new companies to the park. He went on to say that it was a great location very close to the airport and with superb links to the regional motorway network. Coventry has a growing reputation as a place in which to do business and the increasing profile of the airport can only help in that."
rottersclub no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM   #39
woodhousen
Moderator
 
woodhousen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Leeds/Birmingham, UK
Posts: 15,661
Likes (Received): 1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinN
There is no debate. CVT has only resumed passenger services recently, and is a much smaller airport. Your point is? What? It only has ambitions to do 2 million PAX [Despite a theoretical max of 9 million a year, plus a runway that could be extended very easily.].
2 million pax from bhx could hinder growth at bhx = hinder new routes = hinder runway extension = hinder international growth = hinder international business growth for the west midlands.
__________________
Simply BIRMINGHAM
woodhousen no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM   #40
woodhousen
Moderator
 
woodhousen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Leeds/Birmingham, UK
Posts: 15,661
Likes (Received): 1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinN
That it not true in the slightest. It is much easier (And cheaper by cab) for people to get to CVT from most parts of Coventry.
for gods sake....READ THE DAMN POST BEFOR THROWING A HISSY FIT...... i said cheaper for people to get to bhx from cov thn it is FOR ME....bloody hell
__________________
Simply BIRMINGHAM
woodhousen no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Closed Thread

Tags
birmingham, coventry

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us