BHX & CVT News.... - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM   #81
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

silly Iranian pilots!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #82
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 102

Some good news from Air India, flights to Amritsar & Toronto are to double in frequancy from May 1st to 6 flights per week.
hammerb24 no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #83
woodhousen

but this might stop the introduction of Jet Airways to Amristar do we think???...even though they still have slots at bhx
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2006, 12:29 AM   #84
woodhousen

interesting comments made on the coventry projects thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliewalnuts
I know the conversation has meandered from the subject of Cov airport vs BHX, but I just have to stick my oar in on this one.

IMHO there is no way Thomsonfly should be allowed to operate flights out of that "airport", it is really beyond a joke.

Having experienced the portakabin departure "hall" and having been forced to stand in the rain as the queue snakes out of the door and there is literally no space to put people, having been told "we dont recommend you going into the departure lounge, there's no room, you'd be better off sitting on the grass outside", having parked in what was a field, but turned into a sea of mud two weeks later when we got back, I can safely say we'll never be flying from there again. This despite it being far more convenient to us (living in Leamington).

Talking to other people who have flown from there, this is a common reaction.

Don't kid yourselves that there is a real economic need for an airport in Coventry - it is a cheap and nasty botch which allows Thomsonfly to boost their bottom line, and nothing more.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:41 AM   #85
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

I fly from Cov all the time and haven;t experienced these problems.. i do remember one weekday morning hat was really busy at 6am tho.

all rather suggets that they are doing rather well if they are over capacity.. i think they should be alloed their 2million people terminal.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:47 AM   #86
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1964

I agree too. I'm sorry Bio et al. I really think BHX should up the ante in the marketing push to keep the expansion plans on schedule irrespective of CVT's terminal ideas. The combined PAX from both airports at present is about 10.5 million, so I can't see the argument against one expansion, because it's still half of MAN's PAX.
Noticed that BHX T2's getting a much wider parking area for planes now - also loving the latest interior refurbs.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:06 AM   #87
woodhousen

yes, this year, after the main T! departure lounge has been expanded, its T2s turn. They are building 4 new parking bays and totally refurbishing and re-alligning T2. this is also in preperation for the construction of 2 new piers......the demolishion and rebuilding of the international pier to cater for the 777 from emirates and air india (and now maybe PIA and Qatar) and a new pier at T2
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:10 AM   #88
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I agree MSP - BIA should be carrying on regardless. I do not see COV as a threat in terms of business or economics, but I do see it as a threat on local infrastructure, safety, environment, quality of life.

If COV airport was further away, with a proper catchment and without crossing flightpaths, then I would have less of a problem. For example I would not be too troubled if Wolves airport opened, but to have 2 airports within 9 miles (or whatever it is) is, IMHO, mad.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:15 PM   #89
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 87

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html

Quote:
'Airport plans are blighting our homes' Mar 1 2006

By Neil Connor

Residents living in the shadow of Birmingham International Airport last night called on the hub's bosses to acknowledge that far off expansion plans were already blighting properties.

Airport chiefs were criticised at a public meeting by people who claimed that proposals to build a second runway after 2020 were causing "uncertainty" in the community.

The concerns were raised despite assurances from the airport's managing director Richard Heard that any large-scale development was not being considered for at least another 14 years.

The airport chief also told about 300 people at the Ivy Leaf Social Club in Sheldon that the compensation being proposed was in line with other packages available for residents living near Stansted Airport and the Channel Tunnel.

However, resident Mike Andrews said: "I am 61 and I will be in my eighties if these proposals get off the ground.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

"How are we supposed to live with so many years of uncertainty."

David Cuthbert, a resident of Catherine-de-Barnes and chairman of Solihull Opposing Additional Runways, said: "The airport has based its compensation on what will happen in 20 years but it does not realise that people are being affected by this now."
Sonny97 no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:32 PM   #90
pauliewalnuts

Likes (Received): 9

"However, resident Mike Andrews said: "I am 61 and I will be in my eighties if these proposals get off the ground."

What's the problem then? He'll probably be deaf by then in any case.

;-)
pauliewalnuts no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM   #91
Sonny97

Yes, potentially you have up to 300 residents who could block any expansion plans whether its now or in 14 years time! I just wonder how many of these people knew about the airport before they decided to move there? If they did know then why are they complaining? Give them a generous compensation package and then hand out the CPOs. BIAs future depends on this!
Sonny97 no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM   #92
woodhousen

GOOD TO SEE

Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:19 AM   #93
hammerb24

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
but this might stop the introduction of Jet Airways to Amristar do we think???...even though they still have slots at bhx

Woody,

Not really sure, a definate case of Air India getting in first I think. Jet have announced a new service from Amritsar to Heathrow so a case of wait and see.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM   #94
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 450

Amritstar is ownwd by alan suagr is it not
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:51 AM   #95
AJR

Likes (Received): 95

Why does everbody want to fly to Amritsar? There are lots of other major destinations
in India that I would like to see linked to BHX.
Is it that Amritsar is at the outer edge of range from Birminghams runway?
AJR no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM   #96
hammerb24

Pirlo,

V Good!

AJR,

Amritsar is the major city and gateway of the Punjab region which is also home to the Sikh religion. The midlands has a huge Sikh population, the largest outside of the Punjab hence the number of services to it. All in all there will be the following connecting BHX with Amritsar:

Air India 6 x weekly direct
Turkmenistan 4 x weekly via Ashkabad
Uzbekistan 4 x weekly via Tashkent
Slovakian 4 x weekly via Bratislava

There are also rumours of :

Cityjet via Baku
Jet Airways direct

That said I do take your point that links to Mumbai and Delhi are long overdue although Air India does offer an onward connection to the latter. I'm sure I've read somewhere that some 60% of Emirates passenges are being connected to India so this really underlines the demand.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM   #97
Sonny97

Quote:
After the cull comes the growth for BA's regional arm Mar 3 2006

BA Connect - the new regional arm of national flag carrier British Airways - is to increase capacity out of Birmingham with a quarter of a million extra seats this year, new chief executive Willie Walsh will tell local business leaders today.

Mr Walsh, who has already embarked on a cull of managers at the airline, will reinforce the airline's commitment to Birmingham at a CBI lunch event.

BA Connect - formerly BA CitiExpress - has already announced new services from Birmingham to Berlin and Geneva, its first expansion move in the city for two years.

It is also reintroducing flights to Belfast on April 12.

Mr Walsh claims that with 600 flights a week out of Birmingham to 17 destinations in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Switzerland, BA Connect will operate more services from the city than any other scheduled carrier.

The airline is rapidly moving away from its traditional image to meet the increasing challenge from low-cost carriers such as Flybe and Ryanair.

"Five years ago, CitiExpress faced six competitors across its network and also flew a significant number of routes where it was the sole operator.

"Today, there are at least 18 carriers on this network and uncompeted routes have all but disappeared," he will say.

"New entrants have succeeded because they recognised there was unmet consumer demand in the market as it was. And that is the task for all airlines - to identify what the customer wants and to provide it at a price they are willing to pay.

"The long-term health of the BA regional business will be determined not by us but by customers - which is as it should be.

"The battle with our customers continues and you - the customers - are the real winners."

Mr Walsh believes that the rocketing price of oil - which has already increased BA's fuel bill by a third to £1.5 billion - will pose new challenges.

"We expect the coming year to be even more challenging, as hedging effects unwind and the dollar strengthens," he will say.

"We know oil prices are out of our control. Our task is to focus on costs we can control, which is why we are preparing new working practices for Terminal Five (BA's new terminal at Heathrow).

"It is also why we are reducing senior manager posts by 50 per cent and middle manager jobs by 30 per cent over the next two years.

"And it is why we are tackling our pensions issue.

"British Airways seems to have the best publicised pension fund deficit in the UK, though thousands of other employers face problems similar in nature."

Hinting that major changes to BA's pension scheme are on the way, he will say: "Our annual contribution to the pension fund has doubled from under £120 million three years ago to more than £250 million today and exceeds the contribution of employees by five to one. According to the TUC, a reasonable ratio is two to one."

Following a four month 'awareness' exercise with staff, proposals will be put forward later this month.
Sonny97 no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #98
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Birmingham Post reports today that the leaders of the 7 metropolitan councils of the West Mids want BIA runway expanded before the planned date of 2015.

Hope it works
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #99
woodhousen

yes, i heard this, they want to try and take advantage of the 2012 olympics...good idea
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #100
Sonny97

No Birmingham return for BA

Mar 4 2006

Quote:
British Airways chief executive Willie Walsh yesterday ruled out the immediate possibility of the UK's flagship carrier relaunching long haul services from Birmingham International Airport.

BA - which pulled the plug on services from Birmingham to New York a few years ago - would only consider operating long haul flights from BIA if they were profitable, he said during a CBI executive luncheon.

The airline is now concentrating its long haul operations at Heathrow, where it hopes to begin operating from the new Terminal Five in the next two years.

"Terminal Five is a fundamental part of our future. For the first time in 40 years we can concentrate our main base operations under one roof," Mr Walsh added.

"The organisational efficiences of Terminal Five will generate cost savings for the business, which is a critical part of making ourselves fit for the future."

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

His comments came as BA posted a 0.8 per cent increase in year-on year passenger figures for February, up from 2,499,000 to 2,520,000.

In Europe the airline saw passenger figures fall half a per cent, down from 1,621,000 to 1,613,000.

However, traffic was up 12 per cent in the Asian-Pacific market, rising from 132,000 to 148,000.

On routes to the Americas there was a fall of 1.4 per cent, down from 491,000 to 484,000, but passenger figures on routes to Africa and the Middle East rose 7.7 per cent, up from 256,000 to 276,000.

The overall increase in traffic comprised a 7.1 per cent increase in premium classes, plus a 2.9 per cent rise in non-premium. The February load factor - a measure how full BA's planes were - rose 0.4 per cent to 71.2 per cent.

Meanwhile, Ryanair said it carried 2.59 million passengers in February, a rise of 22 per cent on the same month last year.
Sonny97 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
birmingham, coventry