20 Fenchurch Street | City of London | 160m | 36 fl - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #41
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo
That's a shame 168 Fenchurch Street was a nice design, and at 168m would have filled in that gap perfectly
Well, maybe something will be developed on that site in the next property cycle, after the current round of proposals have been built/let.
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #42
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_the_Peg
[IMG]http://i1.************/ohiu12.jpg[/IMG]

My first ssc belly-laugh in a long time

The 100m-ish City blocks are rapidly becoming a dying breed!

First Limebank House demolished, then Stock Exchange reclad, Draper's Gardens under threat, and now 20 Fenchurch St... Angel Court must be shitting her already brown pants.

I think it will look somewhat bizarre if we end up with a grouping of 180m+ towers rising from a low-rise skyline... I think these 100m-ish towers help to bulk out the skyline. That being said, 20 Fenchurch Street looks pretty shite with the big concrete block on top, and the podium is awful, so I won't miss it.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #43
wjfox
Futurist

This is the podium you're talking about:

[IMG]http://i1.************/oigbwp.jpg[/IMG]
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #44
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002

[IMG]http://i1.************/oigbwp.jpg[/IMG]
Spooky image. I thought for a moment the ghost image of the Taxi in the foreground was me.

I used to drive a Taxi reg LJ O3 AXV the ghost taxi reg is one digit out LJ 03 AXA.
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #45
potto

Likes (Received): 12139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
The 100m-ish City blocks are rapidly becoming a dying breed!

First Limebank House demolished, then Stock Exchange reclad, Draper's Gardens under threat, and now 20 Fenchurch St... Angel Court must be shitting her already brown pants.

I think it will look somewhat bizarre if we end up with a grouping of 180m+ towers rising from a low-rise skyline... I think these 100m-ish towers help to bulk out the skyline. That being said, 20 Fenchurch Street looks pretty shite with the big concrete block on top, and the podium is awful, so I won't miss it.
I disagree. I think we are too stuck in the tradional cluster format, like CanaryWharf, ie something that springs from nothing, THe North American business district. THe City of London is unique and the mid rises were never comfortable in this realm. They just looked like failed buds. The City always had high rise elements through out its 1000 years history yet all these mid rises managed to do was drown out existing peaks but yet were not sufficiently soaring and elegent in themselves to recreate the drama that they replaced. Even some of the ground scrapers that have tried to bulk up the experience have had the same negative impact. So Im all for these soaring beauties.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #46
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo
Will's render with 168 Fenchurch Street included

Now that's what I call a view
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #47
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto
I disagree. I think we are too stuck in the tradional cluster format, like CanaryWharf, ie something that springs from nothing, THe North American business district. THe City of London is unique and the mid rises were never comfortable in this realm. They just looked like failed buds. The City always had high rise elements through out its 1000 years history yet all these mid rises managed to do was drown out existing peaks but yet were not sufficiently soaring and elegent in themselves to recreate the drama that they replaced. Even some of the ground scrapers that have tried to bulk up the experience have had the same negative impact. So Im all for these soaring beauties.
Completely agree - let's build a load of 200m+ scrapers and give some proper soar to the skyline, not these pathetic boring 100m blocks that nobody gives a damn about.
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #48
potto

Likes (Received): 12139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny 5
ah thats where the handset to mondial house went! Shall I put it back?
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #49
Munch

Likes (Received): 1

from the article i get the impression that the building is more banana like with a curve facing the river front. Like the old tv's with the curved faces, i think that was the purpose of the description.

"Designed by Rafael Vinoly, the tower will replace the 91 metre CLRP designed tower at 20 Fenchurch Street built in 1968. The new landmark will resemble a "huge curved television facing the Thames" or the 1950s Ericsson phone design."

In fact.... i think it sounds like this.... (but smaller )
(pics from skyscrapernews.com)

Render anyone?

I do like our rather crap midrises and it think that they add a little character. But they also add a dollop of 'crapness' to the skyline and i will not be sorry to see them go in the scheme of things.....

Only t42 may survive this onslaught.

Last edited by Munch; February 25th, 2006 at 03:37 PM.
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #50
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 153

I don't think London's skyline is devoloped enough yet to lump in T42 with the crap midrises.
Old February 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #51
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 626

HHHM,,,I grew up with those midrises! They were what got me into a love affair with tall buildings. YOU ARE ALL TRAITORS!!! Lol...Seriously, I used to look forward to our annual drive to central London, just to see Drapers, 20 Fenchurch etc etc.

They were my skyuscrapers and the nearest thing to Manhatton I had after watching all that USA rubbish on TV in the 70's. I owe them (but then it becomes nostalgia, like glam rock, flares, T.B.)

I do, However, like to keep something of the past. Also. I see a role for them to skirt the city pretty much as they skirt T42 & 30 St.Mary Axe right now.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #52
Bob

Likes (Received): 12

What the architect had to say at a recent debate held at the top of Swiss-Re. Some people lead charmed lives don't they! How come I wasn't there eh? Ticket lost in the post I expect.

"Vinoly, unsurprisingly, was quick to talk about scale, stating graciously that the City didn't have any genuine skyscrapers. London, in comparison to America, and Vinoly's New York base, is a long way from having what Merrick referred to as Super-Towers. The concern should therefore be made more specific to the context. Towers, he explained, regardless of their height had to act as a trinity: as artistic objects to be contemplated, as urban mechanisms that successfully plug into their city context, and as self-contained systems that are sustainable and functional in themselves. Even the iconic Chrysler building had only two out of three, being he stated, practically unviable for the past 65 years. Vinoly's advice to the City would be therefore to invest in its infrastructure. If it was to ever realize its apparent ambition to become truly high-rise and high-density, it would need to think ahead, recalling the example set by New York's sewer system built, he said, 120 times larger than necessary."

"..new tower on Fenchurch Street for Land Securities, that would have a bold, sculptural silhouette, and a large public space on its top floor..."
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #53
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

Woooh - good news. Get back from a weekend away and another proposal springs forth. IMO a v. interesting one as Land Securities, who are on a par with British Land, Hammerson et al as FTSE 100 index companies are typically known for the retail parks and low rise office schemes. In-fact I'm not sure they've not been involved with any major skyscraper schemes in the UK (correct me if wrong). Anyhoo, my mate works for Dresdner so I'll have a chinwag and see if he's expecting to move soon, oooh, just thought, of course they are, they've taken 30 Gresham Street opposite the Guildhall, hence the Fenchurch Street location might be emptier fairly soon.

Again, the presence of Land Securities, like British Land, is massively encouraging regarding the possibilities of this actually happening. Heron and Minerva Corps are tiny players compared to these big boys. Huzzah.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #54
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch

In fact.... i think it sounds like this.... (but smaller )
(pics from skyscrapernews.com)

Render anyone?

I like this tower, Wasnt it meant to be like 500m?
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #55
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
oooh, just thought, of course they are, they've taken 30 Gresham Street opposite the Guildhall, hence the Fenchurch Street location might be emptier fairly soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
Again, the presence of Land Securities, like British Land, is massively encouraging regarding the possibilities of this actually happening. Heron and Minerva Corps are tiny players compared to these big boys. Huzzah.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #56
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid
I like this tower, Wasnt it meant to be like 500m?
460m/108 storeys, which would have made it the tallest building in the world.

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?16476727
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #57
Munch

Bob, what debate was being held at the top of Swiss Re, what was it about, and who was in charge?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old February 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #58
Bob

Likes (Received): 12

munch - Groundlines v Skylines, hosted by London-based land planning consultants. Lovejoy, 90 key industry members met to discuss the relationship between the City of London's skyline and its often forgotten groundlines. Despite being held at the top of Foster's 30 St Mary Axe, within one of the most prominent and spectacular vantage points in the city, the key question was as clear as the strictly privatized view was revealing; should our cities be designed from the top, down, or from the bottom, up? Chaired by Lovejoys' David Black-wood Murray, four witnesses made their cases...[continues]

here, all the way back in august 2004 though.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...16/ai_n6205926
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:25 AM   #59
Munch

Thanks alot bob, fully appreciate the info and effort.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM   #60
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 530

I think the tower proposed on this site a few years back could be stretched upto 200m and look good on the skyline. I have done a render, will post it later.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beam, eastcheap, fenchurch, london, scorchie, street, sun, talkie, walkie