20 Fenchurch Street | City of London | 160m | 36 fl - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM   #121
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_the_Peg
LandSecs press release says it will overlook a 10,000sqft plaza, created because of the pinching. (well, that's my reading of it!)

It's not so far from the cluster really.
[IMG]http://i2.************/qo6eza.jpg[/IMG]
10,000 sqft is less than half the area of one floor in the building.
And the building splays out at the bottom filling out any space that may have been made by the curved side.
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:41 PM   #122
ismail

Likes (Received): 70

I quite like it, I've never been a fan of Evening Standard renderings, Their blatant Anti Skyscraper stance is always apperant in the rendering they print.
I think this will look much better in real life. As mentioned earlier in the thread There is a buliding Which is identical in height, shape, and size to this in New York, and it looks really good.
Let's wait for Goth's renders before we judge.
Any way It's another one for London, I think Land Sec will build this with out a pre-let, and let it whilst it's under construction, like they did with Cardinal Place.
2008 will be the year of the tower crane!
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #123
sourov

Likes (Received): 1

good good
sourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #124
london lad

Likes (Received): 3673

I quite like the shape but that rendering makes it look a very large mass- If they made it a bit smaller & not as fat then it would look ok. That pic makes it look very overbearing & I think that pic might show it bigger than it actually is- its only 30ft taller than tower 42.

Looking at this rendering from Waterloo bridge- We need to campaign to get the wilkinson Eyre tower to get built as it needs that to fill in the gap!!

Goth -does the W-Eyre tower still have Planning or was it withdrawn??

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/images...treet_pic1.jpg
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #125
Alphie

Likes (Received): 0

What's all this 'let's ust have a nice simple' tower?! What happened to our enthusiasm for exciting and groundbreaking urban architecture?

I think the watchwords in the City should be originality and quality. This has originality by the bucketload and the people and money involved suggest good quality. The 18th century City architecture that we all know and love was the best that Britain could produce, and invariably ambitious. We should be no different in this modern era.

Let's wait for some more renderings at least.
Alphie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #126
Skabbymuff
Another 300m+ please!

Likes (Received): 192

hi all, been a while since ive been using this forum, but im back after spending a few years just lurking, and one of the things that stirred me to this was this most hideous design! im almost tempted to believe that its a plot thought up by EH to allow such a blatant monstrosity to grace Londons skyline, so that in the future, they can say " we told u so about skyscrapers ", blah blah. and use this nasty beast as the ultimate ammunition against any further projects. but maybe thats just me. i HATE this design, it sucks. even in that last future render, it destroys the grace of the proposed towers for the city. never thought id actualy be OBJECTING to a skyscraper in London, but from what i can see so far of this one, no thankyou.
Skabbymuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #127
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 626

HHmmm An interesting one.

I think firstly, this is in the wrong place. You have to be absolutey certain of the outcome of a project before you put it in such a noticable place. Someone mentioned it would be good near to and facing Swiss Re...that would be ideal! there would be a purpose.

Lets not go mad with curves and bumps and end up living in a Salvador Dali artwork. We will all end up slithering instead of walking.

I like the curve from the base to the middle...it puts me in mind of the Grace Buidling in New york.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #128
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14405

it got through the preliminary stage of the mayor liking it but the corp never approved it (or refused permission).
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #129
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 5

Wow I really like it suprisingly.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #130
rickster2k

Likes (Received): 34

Well i'm not impressed, this is another Beetham London imo.

What's with these silly designs - it looks like a standard CW box has been 'punched in the stomach' and the cladding is remensiant of CW/Willis Building.

I'll reserve my final judgement for the proper renders, but why can't we have more sensible elegant buildings, not silly ones - i bet, like Beetham London, if this were built, we'd be looking back in 10-20 years saying, 'why on earth did we let this be built'. In know London wants to stand out from the crowd, but this is just experimentalism at its worst.

What would I have instead? Sometime rounder, more curvy, and more traditional, with a lot of detail - if you look at some of the great contemporary skyscrapers around the world at a similar height, im sure we could find something better (i really like the Vero Centre in Auckland - something like that!).

The other beef I have is that all these proposals (Beetham/Fenchurch) are just elaborate boxes, where are the details, the curves, the spires, etc.

Rant over.
rickster2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #131
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 153

Beetham is nothing like a box.
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #132
rickster2k

Likes (Received): 34

^ Yes, granted I'd have Beetham over this anyday - by Beetham is still silly, namly that overhang - if betham lost that i'd like it better.
rickster2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #133
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

hmm, its curves just a bit too much for my liking

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #134
jorgen
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform
we might have to wait until monday! lol.
It's Monday
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #135
CroyDan

Likes (Received): 40

It looks rubbish in my opinion. London can do much better, looks like some giant air conditioning unit!
CroyDan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #136
Andrew

Likes (Received): 55

I cannot support this building. It's ugly, it's proportions are wrong, it's in completely the wrong place and ... dare I say it ... it's too tall! This site is not unsuitable for a tower but it should be one no more than about 2/3 the height of this proposal and shouldn't dominate so much; it should be a thin, slender tower on this spot.
As it stands I couldn't support this proposal. Not right at all!
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #137
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster2k
Well i'm not impressed, this is another Beetham London imo.

What's with these silly designs - it looks like a standard CW box has been 'punched in the stomach' and the cladding is remensiant of CW/Willis Building.

I'll reserve my final judgement for the proper renders, but why can't we have more sensible elegant buildings, not silly ones - i bet, like Beetham London, if this were built, we'd be looking back in 10-20 years saying, 'why on earth did we let this be built'. In know London wants to stand out from the crowd, but this is just experimentalism at its worst.

What would I have instead? Sometime rounder, more curvy, and more traditional, with a lot of detail - if you look at some of the great contemporary skyscrapers around the world at a similar height, im sure we could find something better (i really like the Vero Centre in Auckland - something like that!).

The other beef I have is that all these proposals (Beetham/Fenchurch) are just elaborate boxes, where are the details, the curves, the spires, etc.

Rant over.

yeah what is with the current trend for new buildings to be clad in striped stainless steel????? ala Willis building and the monstrosities in CW. I mean COME ON architects.....this was done 20 years ago on the Natwest Tower. And whilst it looks good on that building, it doesnt look so good on brand new buildings (infact it looks extremely dated).......i'm hoping the wills building will look alright, but to be honest i dont hold out much hope.

Ideally i would like London to get some more skyscrapers clad in stone, or other more imaginative materials. But seeing as that isnt cost efficient, i would at least like to see some sleek, smooth glass buildings......HSBC comes close, but i am thinking of that FANTASTIC building in La Defense, Paris........i cant remember what its called, but by god it looks amazing.
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #138
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Nothing Better to do, is it this one?

JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #139
jef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo
yeah what is with the current trend for new buildings to be clad in striped stainless steel????? ala Willis building and the monstrosities in CW...this was done 20 years ago on the Natwest Tower. And whilst it looks good on that building, it doesnt look so good on brand new buildings (infact it looks extremely dated.
One Canada Square is stainless steel and this building is world-class. I very much like Tower 42 as well - and this building is appreciated outside the UK. I do not understand you.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #140
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgen
It's Monday
Indeed! c'mon Gothic!
Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags