V.T.P.200 | Curzon Street | Vertical Entertainment Centre | 200m | Canc. - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #121
Boards

Likes (Received): 705

So when you guys getting Arena Central and how talls it really going to be?
Boards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #122
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 87

for more details follow this link and click the "See How the Pinnacle would dwarf its neighbours" video link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/4840984.stm
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #123
Sonny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards
So when you guys getting Arena Central and how talls it really going to be?
This existing thread will fill you in with the details. We're hoping its going to be around 175m

https://skyscrapercity.com/showthread...&page=35&pp=20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #124
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimChim
I thought the CN tower was actually better then what I expected. the views are amazing and the glass flooring at the top is something special. how many african elepahnst can each one hold?
IMO it looks better from afar.. and at night, from memory the glass flooring was a samll section and was smothered by little kids rolling over it without fear, It's a good addition but if brum has one... **** it, why not make the whole floor re-enforced glass... got to be as strong as concrete surely? Still, maybe I am a fussy sod but CN tower was not on my list of Toronto must do's, again.... the view was bland and erm... bland with a few scatters of high rises here and there.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #125
ChimChim

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke
IMO it looks better from afar.. and at night, from memory the glass flooring was a samll section and was smothered by little kids rolling over it without fear, It's a good addition but if brum has one... **** it, why not make the whole floor re-enforced glass... got to be as strong as concrete surely? Still, maybe I am a fussy sod but CN tower was not on my list of Toronto must do's, again.... the view was bland and erm... bland with a few scatters of high rises here and there.
I agree but the bottom of the tower was very nicely done and with it being rightnext to Planet Hollywood and the Skydome it was pefectly situated, im a bit dissappointed you didnt enjoy the views though, the golden tower in Toronto, forgot the name is one of my favourites anywhere in the world When I visted we had the pleasure of having 3,000 odd people + Jackie Chan running up the bastard thing lol.

Hopefully with the park and co it should also have a very metropolitan feel. Im very excited about this project, unqiue for Europe and its coming to our city. A major tourist attraction is what we need especially with its proximity to Selfridges.

P.S Coming back on the train today I noticed the skyline to the left of St Andrews at night is phenominal, Imagined it with all these new builds and thought to myself easily top 10 in Europe once all completed.
ChimChim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #126
Sonny97

of course if the Pinnacle does become a reality (or even if it doesn't gfd) there will be plenty of other cities around the country looking for their own versions, probably a lot taller too
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #127
Boards

Likes (Received): 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny97
This existing thread will fill you in with the details. We're hoping its going to be around 175m

https://skyscrapercity.com/showthread...&page=35&pp=20
Thanks.
Boards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #128
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

the link isnt working!!!!!
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #129
Sonny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
the link isnt working!!!!!
just tried the link and works fine.

However, no need to panic: its only the Arena Central thread further down the Birmingham page on here
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #130
ChimChim

Likes (Received): 0

Ive played around with a picture from future skyline thread and came up with this, unfrotunately quite a few towers are missing that have been built but still looks pretty impressive.

Towers named left to right.

*The Pinnacle 175m
*City Park Gate 100m
*Masshouse 7x 50-75m
*Martineau Galleries 110m
*Rotunda 81m
*City Center 76m
*HCT 122m
*New Street 1 & 2 - 125m (roughly)
*Orion 1 & 2 - 92 & 70m
*Paradise Circus 2x 120m
*BT Tower 152m
*Alpha 100m
*Arena Central 175m (245m)
*Arena Central 7x 50-70m
*Hyatt 75m
*Cube 79m
*Quayside 70m
*BST 134m
*Cumberland House 62m
*5 ways shopping 73m + 60m
ChimChim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #131
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
Not necessarily - some of the more elaborate April Fools hoaxes don't need to be pulled on the actual day! There ARE such things as April Fools jokes coming a week early and yes, the TV and media get in on it too and rise to the occasion in style - for many years now the Wirral Globe (free weekly newspaper published in Merseyside serving Wallasey, Birkenhead and Bebington areas) habitually come up with fake news stories designed to hoodwink the public - a whole week early, thus using the timescale to disguise the fact that it was all a hoax. One notorious story was published a few years back during the last week of March which announced that whole areas of housing in Moreton had to be potentially evacuated as a result of the erosion of nearby Leasowe Embankment leading to breaching by the Irish Sea, thus resulting in flooding. This caused quite a lot of alarm until it was revealed as a hoax on April 1st. Another elaborate "hoax" story that was also published a week early went on about a proposal to build two new underground Merseyrail stations to serve Birkenhead shopping precinct direct and the old Priory - people fell for this one despite the fact that in order to do this the existing lines would have had to be diverted off their current courses thus would have been rather unfeasible!

So if they could do it, then what is stopping this Brum story being designed to create the same stir?
I've never heard of an April fools joke spanning a week or more - this must be why the people of Merseyside are so completely messed up

I agree with Sonny97 - Birmingham needs a city centre public viewpoint rather than having to stand on the top level of a multi storey car park to take in the views. Also, you'd be able to spend as long as you liked soaking in the views unlike the constantly moving and time governed wheel.

Yeah it looks a bit tacky at this stage but any landmark is fine by me. All cities should have a mixed bag of buildings. As long as Birmingham gets some more "grown up" towers, we should be alright!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #132
GAZ

Likes (Received): 233

people are too negative

this is not a april fools joke -

i think it is a great idea
obviosly the renders look tacky, but that is not going to be what it looks like, as it is still in planning stages, and i am sure that they will make it look classy and beautiful.
the video on the BBC website doesnt work for me either
GAZ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #133
Sonny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ
the video on the BBC website doesnt work for me either
I normally use Firefox but when I clicked the video link it didn't work, so I had to take a deep breath and fire up IE, works fine on that
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #134
GAZ

sorry what is ie and how do i use it to view the video?
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #135
Sonny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ
sorry what is ie and how do i use it to view the video?
oops, I meant Internet Explorer (IE) and then try the link to the video
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #136
GAZ

ok thanks Sonny

it works now
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #137
Bel Ludovic

Likes (Received): 2

I think it looks rather inelegant, to be honest. It's like a really really thick rod with virtually no design finesse whatsoever. I might support the CAA if they put the boot into this one, actually...
Bel Ludovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #138
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3889

Agreed, this is too stumpy, too thick. Add another 50-100 meters and it's look fine.

Heck, if this is a Aprils fools joke/pie in the sky windup, we might as well have a decent one...

Although thinking about it, it would have to be a certain height for the internal rides/slides to work, stick too much height on it, and everything will go wrong.

Wonder if it'll have a helter-skelter going around the outside, with the coconut mats and all that??

Hmm, the more I think about this, I've a feeling Martin may have a point about this one being a April Fools joke...
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"

Last edited by Bachy Soletanche; March 25th, 2006 at 01:10 PM.
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #139
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Looks cool. I work at Millennium Point every day.

I'm guessing this will replace the point that would have made Millennium Point a point. Some 300m high viewing platform IIRC, anyone got any info on this?

All the businesses has closed in the last 2 or 3 months apart from one where this Pinnacle will go.

Masshouse is going up, but incredibly slowly. East park seems like it will never happen (it will one day), they did say it was going to start after Millennium Point was completed, the old sorting office is still there where the park will go.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #140
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

@ Stephen...

Well, you obviously haven't heard the latest then.... Apparently Liverpool are now proposing a huge 52 metre tall John Lennon Statue - the biggest in the world - to be erected in the Pier Head... close to the site of where the fourth grace was going to be! Helter Skelter, indeed! It's going to be submitted to the City Council for official planning permission as of April12th.
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
eastside, observation, theme park