KONZA | Konza Technology City | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #21
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3220

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert burner View Post
malili range is the technology park the government is undertaking its in mavoko the 1000 hectares which is expected to be launched in april this year. but they is a case of it in the court arising from the land dispute at the moment

I guess thats why the gov't has kept silent about this project. What is it about Nairobi and court cases?
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #22
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 5959

Stunning, amazing , but why is it inland?

I would love it on the coast, somewhere by Mombasa or Lamu.

What's the cost? anyone?
BUTEMBO21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #23
mikeotechi
Construction Analyst

Likes (Received): 1

The place you have pin-pointed this project is somewhere between Salama & Sultan Hamud in Kilome Constituency. Am not aware of any land set aside or infrastructure around that area which can support the project of the magnitude you speak about.
#1 Construction/Real Estate Database for the Africa Great Lakes Region.
mikeotechi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #24
mwanamwiwa

Likes (Received): 1578

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeotechi View Post
The place you have pin-pointed this project is somewhere between Salama & Sultan Hamud in Kilome Constituency. Am not aware of any land set aside or infrastructure around that area which can support the project of the magnitude you speak about.
The government bought quite a few ranches in that area(in the paper they said it was in Machakos district) for this project.The court case is a consequence of the way the tendering and pocurement was done.As usual a deal was struck by both sides to inflate the price at the expense of the tax payer.
mwanamwiwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:07 AM   #25
windoors

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwanamwiwa View Post

Malili Technopolis,
It is the same design as that of GIFT city, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
windoors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #26
Kenguy

Quote:

The land is there. Its actually a ranch called Malili ranch which is approximately 5000 acres ( and I guess there were plans to acquire a few more parcels of land around this area). Though the sale of the ranch has had a few problems and there is a court case going on.
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #27
I.M Boring
life liver

Likes (Received): 721

well, im really hoping those politicians get over their money grabbing corrupt ways one day, but the corrupt politicians might just be the biggest obstacle for this project. Other than that, it looks nice, except for the two buildings at the bottom left. They are obviously replicas of the landmark tower china built for one of its news companies (cant remember which) and im damn sure china will be 100% opposed to this. The designers for this city need to GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARDS!
I.M Boring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #28
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M Boring View Post
well, im really hoping those politicians get over their money grabbing corrupt ways one day, but the corrupt politicians might just be the biggest obstacle for this project. Other than that, it looks nice, except for the two buildings at the bottom left. They are obviously replicas of the landmark tower china built for one of its news companies (cant remember which) and im damn sure china will be 100% opposed to this. The designers for this city need to GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARDS!
Yeah! They look like the Chinese CCTV HQ in Beijing. I think those renders were just proposals and not the final thing. I will be more optimistic when that court case winds up and the government gives the green light for it to proceed.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #29
grandwiz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
Yeah! They look like the Chinese CCTV HQ in Beijing. I think those renders were just proposals and not the final thing. I will be more optimistic when that court case winds up and the government gives the green light for it to proceed.
They look similar but these have a 'cruel' twist in the upright resulting is a verrry interesting design..call it crooked perhaps..its like the building is turning!!

i like!
grandwiz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #30
mikeotechi
Construction Analyst

a ktn news report this evening indicates that this is yet another money minting scandal.original plot owners have never been paid and the kenyan taxpayer stands to lose kshs 250Million from overvaluation by brokers.
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #31
desert burner
real gooner

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
a ktn news report this evening indicates that this is yet another money minting scandal.original plot owners have never been paid and the kenyan taxpayer stands to lose kshs 250Million from overvaluation by brokers.
yep, i can't help i also saw in the newspaper too the 28 billion NICC project in the JKIA was to be inaugurated by Kibaki, this week but suspended indefinitely, the reason given the project shrouded by mystery, the link:http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/news/...hotel%20launch

desert burner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #32
mikeotechi
Construction Analyst

Land Deals May Sink Kenya's Technocity

By GEKARA MAYAKA and BOB ODALO
Posted Sunday, March 14 2010 at 22:30-Daily Nation
Plans to build a technology city and create 40,000 jobs have run into allegations of corruption and unfair dealings. The technopolis is to be built on a 5,000-acre piece of land near Salama on the Nairobi-Mombasa highway.

The government has already paid Sh1 billion for the land. But now small-scale landowners are complaining that they were short-changed in the transaction and that the land values were inflated. The farmers complained that brokers bought their land at throwaway prices, then sold it to the government at much higher prices. They are now threatening to block the project unless they are paid more.

Although they support the project, they have accused politicians, some Information Ministry officials, and unscrupulous businessmen of using the Information Communication Technology Centre, as the proposed technopolis is formally called, to enrich themselves.

At the centre of the conflict is the distribution of the Sh1 billion paid by the government for the 5,000 acres. The government concluded the deal last December and has already paid the whole amount in two batches of Sh400 million and Sh600 million. Treasury released the second portion in January.

The purchase affected 606 farmers, all members of Malili group ranch, with 7.8 acres each. Each farmer was to be paid Sh1.56 million. However, with lawyers, surveyors, not to mention brokers, involved in the transaction, it was later agreed that each farmer would be paid Sh1.4 million.

According to Mr Eric Mutua, a lawyer retained by the directors of the group ranch, the amount has further been revised to Sh1.1 million. Development on some of the farms is being valued for compensation. Mr Mutua was paid Sh28 million as legal fees.

The farmers claimed that their directors sold their land without seeking their consent and that they have not been paid. “We were told that the we would receive Sh1.4 million for our plots but it seems we have been short-changed,” said Mr Stephen Mbuti.

He claimed that their directors left them with no choice, telling them that if they did not do sell, they would lose the land anyway. “The project is likely to provide jobs for our children but we are asking the government to ensure that the shareholders are first compensated for their land,” said area councillor Jonathan Katete.

Responding to claims that money has not been paid to the shareholders, Mr Mutua told the Nation that he had released over Sh850 million. “ I paid Sh1.4 million to individual shareholders who produced valid documents when I received the first batch of Sh400 million and I am distributing the balance of Sh600 million,” he said.

Letters of allotment

He said the ranch officials had sent over 500 letters of allotment. “I write cheques and beneficiaries will collect them from their offices in Machakos.” He claimed he had received death threats over the transaction and had reported the matter to police. “Undeserving people want to benefit from the land sale,” Mr Katete, who also spoke of similar threats, said.

Mr Mbuti said 2,347 Malili ranchers bought a total of 22,153 acres from Major Joyce, a British World War 1 veteran. But at an annual general meeting, it was resolved that the land be sub-divided and each member was allocated 7.8 acres. Farmers with more shares got larger plots.

Records show that Mr Josiah Munuka, the former chairman, was paid Sh18 million while Mr Julius Kilonzo and Mr Peter Kanyi, who are directors, received 16 million each. Ranch officials said they used Sh400 million to pay 120 of the 606 members and for other services, a contention that has been rejected by shareholders who claimed that the list of beneficiaries was not genuine.

Other complaints were related to a firm which is demanding Sh111 million for “sourcing and obtaining the buyer”. The company has already been paid Sh40 million and Mr Mutua insists that the balance of Sh71 million that it is demanding will not be paid.

In a demand letter to Mr Mutua seen by the Nation, the company says it was entitled to Sh21,000 an acre as agency fees. Even if that were the case, its total fees would be Sh105 million, not Sh111 million. Mr Mutua argues that the company is not entitled to any more money because the tender was awarded by the Ministerial Tender Committee guided by the Public Procurement and Disposal Act.
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #33
mikeotechi
Construction Analyst

I wish I could get more enlightenement on the genesis of this project.To me it just surfaced from nowhere.There was indication that it would be a joint World Bank-GoK project.In that case,such projects normally undergo the World Bank laid out due process for Procurement of services.However if it is that the GoK had to do its bit before the WB came in,what we are witnessing is simply unfortunate.But this stinks of a deal gone sour somewhere.For starters,professional valuers should have been despatched to give a Fair Assessment of pricing of this piece of land so that the sellers could get fair compensation.But now the complicated part is,who would be financing construction of the Infrastructure? Who would be the tenant.I wonder if feasibility was done on this project. Maybe Mwanamiwa can shed light.
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #34
Papaf Mwenyewe

Likes (Received): 11

KITENGELA DREAM CITY: Who are the Financiers?

Papaf Mwenyewe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #35
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaf Mwenyewe View Post
Just as You Papaf I have several Questions too (I have some depth in IT) I would love if someone can answer about the whole project implementation and evaluation.

First of all Its a noble idea that should be painstakingly implemented since we live in an IT global village where the likes of (Cyberoptics, Vodacom, Google, Cysco, Ipod and Facebook et al) are taking over the world and not to mention accruing repercussions like creation of outsourcing jobs, e-governing|administration and role of IT in education that may come with such an investment.

Here are my questions.
Why did the government keep this "mighty project" under wraps and when unleashed what we here is peasant farmers crying fraud, and 1 Billion shillings later land speculators are having a field day.

I also query the involvement of World Bank(IFC) of all the lenders I would have supposed -remember the 90's failed SAP's programs and the stick and carrot attitude attached to developmental loans for 3rd World countries, did world bank all over sudden throw the baby out of the window with a bucket with a new policy "dont ask dont tell".

It also seems to me that their are already Fatcats who are willing to either invest or gain from the project to the detriment of deserving jobless youths and they are remaining "anonymous" as per the government. The Govt should have openned the bids advertised in an open source system the various (Zones) componets to be developed and invite willing investors. It is always prudnet to leave such projects under private arms (Rem Dubai world,Dubai Group..) so as to stem risk on Government(Read Public) side incase problems arise. The government should according to me just act as a monitor, provide required infrastructure(Power, Roads, telecommunications..), lessen bureacracy and provide security(In all its ambiguity -personal and Financial* if need be)

Finally When did the "Proprietors" undertake to Educate(General public and Locals) about the project and its benefits and how was the land issue supposed to be carried out(sought by the goverment), If so where was it done and where? Something is fishy here..

Last edited by Kisumu Ndogo; March 16th, 2010 at 04:56 AM.
Kisumu Ndogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:24 AM   #36
desert burner
real gooner

we have another thread of the same issue, please mods close this thread its repetition
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #37
desert burner
real gooner

Wrangles put Sh10bn ICT project in peril

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/C...z/-/index.html

i like it, the government is adamant, the project will be realized and will be launched by august
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #38
Papaf Mwenyewe

Likes (Received): 11

What is the Budget for Malili?

What is the National Budget?

How much really are investors willing to put in?

NB The Dubai Building bubble just imploded, why
will the Malili one thrive?
Papaf Mwenyewe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #39
bh2010

Likes (Received): 29

i guess this thing is really happening....

http://whiteafrican.com/wp-content/u...3-phpapp02.pdf
bh2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #40
bh2010

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M Boring View Post
i don't think those are the final designs. the pdf I've post a link to above says a virtual model for the project will be ready in April...
bh2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement