KONZA | Konza Technology City | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #41
G.I.O

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Kalonzo...j/-/index.html
Here's the proof guyz....
Its all en route to success...................
G.I.O no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #42
G.I.O

Kalonzo fights to save dream city project.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #43
Ivern

Likes (Received): 49

Kalonzo fights to save dream city project
SHARE BOOKMARKPRINTEMAILRATING

An artist’s impression of the Machakos technopolis.

By KITAVI MUTUA and BOB ODALO
Posted Monday, March 15 2010 at 21:00
IN SUMMARY

Building of ICT technopolis in Machakos to go on, VP tells donors
Police have been asked to speed up investigations into corruption allegations that have threatened to derail the construction of a technology city in Machakos District.

Vice-President Kalonzo Musyoka told the World Bank and other donors that the government would not allow the project to stall.

“We are fighting hard against corruption. Those found stealing government resources will be dealt with accordingly,” he said on Monday in his Mwingi North constituency.

Plans to build the technopolis on a 5,000-acre piece of land have run into graft claims and unfair dealings.

Farmers who sold their land have complained that brokers bought their plots at throwaway prices and then sold them to the government at much higher prices.

They are now threatening to block the project unless they are fully compensated for their land.

Separately, Information permanent secretary Bitange Ndemo cautioned that the project would be relocated if wrangles surrounding the purchase of the land continue. Dr Ndemo said the government might accept a 3,000-acre offer by the Thika Municipal Council for the project.

“We can use the 5,000 acres in Malili as a cattle holding ground,” said the PS who defended the ministry against any impropriety in the purchase of the Sh1 billion land for the technopolis.

The PS said the ministry followed the law in procuring the land for construction of the Sh780 billion ($10 billion) technocity and accused politicians of interfering with the project.

He stated that the ministry did not deal with Gateway Logistics, a firm claiming Sh110 million for sourcing the buyer.

“I will take personal responsibility if there are any irregularities in the transaction,” he said on Monday.

While waiting for the construction of the city expected to start in August, the ministry has rented Sameer Business Park to serve as a temporary ICT park.

Shareholders of Malili Ranch Limited say the government should have dealt with them individually for the purchase of 5,000 acres of their land instead of dealing with the directors.

They last met as a company in 2006 where members voted to sub-divide the land.

The process was completed in 2008 and by the time the government moved in, each shareholder had an allotment letter for his 7.8 acres.
The government’s deal with Malili was arrived at after January, 2009.

Information shows that the firm agreed to sell the land after a general meeting, but the shareholders insist that the last general meeting took place in 2006.

An official from Gateway Logistics who spoke on condition of anonymity citing the sensitivity of the matter maintained that the firm brokered the deal between Malili Ranch and the government.

“The Malili people did not know what was going on at the time but we took them through the processes that saw them secure the deal. We made written agreements with sober minds... it is therefore in bad taste for them to now turn around and question our participation,” he said.

The current storm in Malili is said to have been ignited by Gateway Logistics after it was realised that a company associated with one of the newcomers in the deal was paid Sh107 million.

According to Dr Ndemo, the Kitengela site was suitable because of its environment and location — the ranch is nearly 60 kilometres south of Nairobi.

He said experts from the International Finance Corporation would make presentations on the feasibility study and environmental impact on April 12.
Ivern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #44
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3214

Im keeping my fingers crossed. Though I won't get my hopes up until I see at least a bulldozer on the site. This project looks like one of those long term government undertakings that may see the light of day around 2015 or later.

And in terms of priority, the Lamu port beats this one hands down and thats where money will go for large infrastructure projects.
Old March 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #45
maasai1
ilete baraka kwetu

Likes (Received): 14

Red face

corruption and the land saga again. if its not solved the project will go to Thika in central province!
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #46
desert burner
real gooner

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
Im keeping my fingers crossed. Though I won't get my hopes up until I see at least a bulldozer on the site. This project looks like one of those long term government undertakings that may see the light of day around 2015 or later.

And in terms of priority, the Lamu port beats this one hands down and thats where money will go for large infrastructure projects.
true, but that they is no argument about it, its a matter of when but no if, since one component of that project is already undertaken by Toyota, the oil pipeline, i have high hopes the rest will follow however the cancellation of the NICC is making me sick
desert burner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #47
G.I.O

Guyz I'm 100% sure that the project will see light of day sooner than we expect.......to the same effect,...............
There is a mega Project coming up soon that has been kept top secret.....KCB wants to unleash a mega project that will see upperhill being transformed to the "mega upperhill" with its upcoming KCB towers, due in 2013.......the tower will be among the tallest in africa coming only second to S.A's skyscrapers......the project managers are thru with the renders , having taken a six month course in Germany to familiarize with the technology that will be applied....the tower will be about 300m tall. I don't have the renders here but I confirm that I've seen them and the tower's a beauty.
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #48
desert burner
real gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.O View Post
Guyz I'm 100% sure that the project will see light of day sooner than we expect.......to the same effect,...............
There is a mega Project coming up soon that has been kept top secret.....KCB wants to unleash a mega project that will see upperhill being transformed to the "mega upperhill" with its upcoming KCB towers, due in 2013.......the tower will be among the tallest in africa coming only second to S.A's skyscrapers......the project managers are thru with the renders , having taken a six month course in Germany to familiarize with the technology that will be applied....the tower will be about 300m tall. I don't have the renders here but I confirm that I've seen them and the tower's a beauty.
thanks, let me ask you few more questions, how many towers in total? is it office complex, shopping mall or hotel? any other upcoming projectlet us know
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #49
maasai1
ilete baraka kwetu

Likes (Received): 14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.O View Post
Thanks G.I.O. and welcome to SSC. We are anxiously waiting for more info on the upper hill projects.
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #50
Kenguy

I knew KCB would have to move out of Kencom in the CBD. That place was too small. I think even their Uganda HQ's in Kampala may be bigger than Kencom in terms of floors. Thanks for the info.

As for mega projects with government involvement, I have adopted a wait and see attitude for now.
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #51
Kenguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert burner View Post
true, but that they is no argument about it, its a matter of when but no if, since one component of that project is already undertaken by Toyota, the oil pipeline, i have high hopes the rest will follow however the cancellation of the NICC is making me sick
DB, not all projects have to see the light of day. But trust me, after the JKIA expansion is complete, the next thing that will happen is plans for airport hotels will start coming. I don't see that project as a big loss. Look on the bright side, at least our tax money hasn't been deviated to build another Grand Regency like project that will eventually be sold to the Libyan's.
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #52
G.I.O

Its their new office headquarters, for eastern and central Africa.......I'll give you more updates on the renders as soon as I get hold of them............
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #53
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert burner View Post
we have another thread of the same issue, please mods close this thread its repetition
Since this thread has not been closed I will deem my post as approved. Now Malili(May be Kenya's largest construction project yet when it finally commences) is the current talk of town and for that reason it's obvious that people will come with different views/opinions including new threads and postings alike as this that specifically addresses the important LAND issues arising.

For that reason lets be fair to each members(forummers) when correcting mistakes(I'd prefer making use of PM services*) and avoid this kind of brash random foreclosure yapping that may end up hurting our fast growig SSC-Kenya.
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #54
Ivern

Likes (Received): 49

Thanx G.I.O......good work.... keep us posted.....and oh welcome to the club
Ivern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #55
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 126

Amazing, Go Kenya
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #56
urban stylin

Likes (Received): 27

this would be awesome too bad it will be very much out of reach of the general public
urban stylin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #57
nairoberry

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban stylin View Post
this would be awesome too bad it will be very much out of reach of the general public
it should not be for the general public. at the very core of the project is for experts and researchers.

companies like microsoft GE and dell will be setting up shop there and those companies just dont employ anyone.

so yeah, it is not for the general public.
nairoberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #58
kijana

Location: nairobi, saitama, twin cities (miineapolis & saint paul, MN)
Likes (Received): 128

i really think this is a great project, but i believe the focus and priority should go more towards the infrustructure developements, education sector, improvements of living conditions, sanitary projects and other various projects within the country. if that amount of money was distributed evenly through the people, i belive, they wont be any more poor people in kenya....

but on the bright side, i dont have a problem with the project as long as they balance it out with the rest of the projects....
kijana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #59
desert burner
real gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijana View Post
i really think this is a great project, but i believe the focus and priority should go more towards the infrustructure developements, education sector, improvements of living conditions, sanitary projects and other various projects within the country. if that amount of money was distributed evenly through the people, i belive, they wont be any more poor people in kenya....

but on the bright side, i dont have a problem with the project as long as they balance it out with the rest of the projects....
correction, this not 100% government investments, its more of private public partnership (ppp) the government play the role of facilitating, by giving the initial investment of buying the land, providing fibre optic, water,roads, electricity and legal framework to carry out the process, the rest the private sector will chip on to carry out the real investment of the projects
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #60
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 78177

Exclamation

Two threads on the same subject, merged into one.
Advertisement