Bloomberg Place | City of London | 41m | 10 fl - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #21
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 7238

I am going to hold my judgement on this tower till we see some proper renders, but gotta say, that pic from the newspaper looks pretty dam hiddeous! Please, Please, let this be a tasteful, simple yet elegant project that complements the area nicley, and not some wanna-be attempt at a new 'iconic' set of mid-rises that ends up looking like a desperate attempt at a unique looking set of buildings that falls far short.

A I said, I will hold my tongue for now, in the hope that it is just a bad picture....

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #22
Medo

Likes (Received): 546

looks like a cheese grater and a piece of mild cheddar
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #23
ismail

Likes (Received): 70

What in the name of **** is that!
It looks like a giant used condom
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #24
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

Wow a shimmering turd...

What paper was that picture in, the Evening Standard?
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #25
Sikario
Loopy Londoner

Likes (Received): 7

If this is a 'bad' photo in the paper then it wouldn't be the first time. I'll also wait untill I see some better renders, before making up my mind.
Sikario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #26
london lad

Likes (Received): 3672

I've been looking forward to this development for ages now. Need to see proper renderings though.

Will- the stock exchange building isn't far away & thats over 22 storeys. I would image the tallest building will be more to the west of the site towards Cannon St station (which incidently is right next to Minervas Walbrook & NM Rothschild proposed 20 storey HQ development. I think they would all appear to the right of most of the tall buildings when viewed from Waterloo bridge.

somebody get some renders please....and quick
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #27
london lad

Likes (Received): 3672

Theres a tiny pic on the cover of propertyweek that might be a pic of the scheme as the building to the left of the picture looks like the dark glassed grey/green office block thats next to No.1 Poultry. The tallest building is 106m so it would be this.

Theres also info on it on fosters & partners website- but unusual for them no renders- bugger

http://www.property-week.co.uk/issue...avcode=635&c=0
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #28
Jefsa

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo
looks like a cheese grater and a piece of mild cheddar

what a picture, terrible. Wait for the exibition next month.
Jefsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #29
Medo

Likes (Received): 546

I hope the official renders look better
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #30
SimLim

Likes (Received):

They musta been in a right state coming up with this design. Whats it suppose to be? Looks like a fecking invalid designed this when playing connect 4.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #31
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 5

Maybe they made it look shit with intention, so that when proper renderings come out we all can say 'Well, at least it looks better than on the first image. This one is growing on me!'
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #32
Fragmentor

Likes (Received): 1

Sounds good, i like the location, the rendering looks.....interesting. My first thought was not that looks shit but that it looks interesting, im feeling good about this one, bring on the renders!
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #33
rickster2k

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny 5
Wow a shimmering turd...

What paper was that picture in, the Evening Standard?
It was in yesterdays Times.

Can't understand the design myself esp the front slanting bit - very bizzare. I was only a small image so like everyone else lets wait for the renders.
rickster2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #34
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3496

I'm really glad that what its replacing is being demolished, and from the classic Waterloo Bridge viewpoint it'll plug a gap in the skyline. I think its also good that the shapes seem a bit abstract, all of the other 100m towers in the City are just square blocks on the skyline. Jury's out 'til I see a better rendering though...
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #35
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 626

We need more renderings at the moment it looks like a freeze frame from september 11th

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #36
potto

Likes (Received): 12128

I think its looking promising, better than the 3 sisters behind waterloo and other such examples of 'frontier' architecture in Europe, here we see the architecture actually responding to the context of the area, in particular the views of St Pauls, rather than with for example deconstructivsm where the architecture is a tad self-centred. This is exciting, we are moving with architecture.

I dont quite understand what people are expecting in such a constrained site where another glass box would be cheaper for the developers. In theory constraints should instead ignite and polish the imagination but keep excess in check (the opposite to the 'new cities'). And I think this is what we are now starting to see happening after the doldrums of the 70s and 80s.

It looks like the City is starting to lead the way in the UK (Birminghams post box another example) where traditionally in this country architecture seems to take a lead only in very high profile cultural buildings and everything else goes for the verging on the bland conservatism. The result is that we are not getting a spread of ideas in this country, look at the housing and office market for example. This is harming our ability to to respond to vital issues such as climate change and living density adjustments.

Again will have to wait for more visuals but I dont understand the complete shock and horror on a forum centred around architecture, would expect it in Tunbridge Wells maybe!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #37
Alphie

Likes (Received): 0

Hear, hear!
Alphie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #38
Muse

Likes (Received): 33

The 2 masters of glass 'n light, together! Well done Londinium!! Sydney has 3 Foster scrapers (2 still u/c) and we almost got a Nouvel.

Anyway, some points on Walbrook Sq from Foster's website - nothing on Nouvel's that I could see. Lots of facts, some good descriptions, a bit of hyperbole of course & point 12 may be of particular interest to some of you (take your cameras). Point 3 gives building heights etc.

1. Detailed plans have been submitted to the City of London to provide office, retail and storage accommodation at Walbrook Square of 90,705 sq m net internal area, or 976,371 sq ft. This includes 81,294 net sq m (875,070 sq ft) of office space and 8,793 net sq m (94,650 sq ft) of retail and restaurant space. The Bucklersbury House site has an area of 1.5 hectares (3.7 acres), and currently provides 50,650 sq m (545,210 sq ft) net internal area of office space and 2,497 sq m (26,878 sq ft) of retail space in five buildings (Bucklersbury House, Temple Court, 25 Bucklersbury, 69-75 Cannon Street and 71 Queen Street). The site currently provides outdated and inflexible office accommodation and poor quality retail on an impenetrable island site.

2. Walbrook Square has a gross external area of 133,880 sq m (1,441,119 sq ft). The existing buildings have a gross external area of 111,535 sq m (1,082,185 sq ft).

3. Walbrook Square comprises four individual buildings connected by new pedestrian routes running north-south and east-west:
a. Building 1 Queen Victoria Street (106.65m, 22 storeys); offices - 29,774 sq m, retail - 3,241 sq m
b. Building 2 Bucklersbury (67m, 12 storeys); offices 16,920 sq m, retail 1,722 sq m
c. Building 3 Cannon Street (66.15m, 11 storeys); offices 11,820 sq m, retail 869 sq m
d. Building 4 Queen Street (71.15m, 12 storeys); offices 22,780 sq m, retail 2,961 sq m

4. The four buildings each have their own distinct character but together read as a cluster. The lower elements take the form of plinths which are sculpted to respond to the surrounding building heights and local views. The more lightweight upper elements (clouds) will be seen from more distant views to float above the plinths and shimmer against the sky. The shape and massing of the clouds have also been designed to respect sensitive local views.

5. The scheme has been designed with St Pauls Cathedral in mind and complies with the revised view corridors put forward within the GLAs draft SPG (the London View Management Framework).

6. Walbrook Square will deliver a unique place in the City, and will provide a rich mix of shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. A new public square will create a vibrant environment and animated public space. New pedestrian routes through the site will increase public access and help people move around the City.

7. The remains of the Roman Temple of Mithras are to be returned to their original location, within the development under Walbrook Square as a publicly accessible exhibition space. A reconstruction of the Temple of Mithras is currently located above a car park alongside Queen Victoria Street.

8. The site is extremely well served by public transport, being very close to three underground stations (Bank, Mansion House and Cannon Street, serving five lines), Cannon Street railway station and numerous bus routes servicing the City. London Underground proposes that a new access to the Waterloo & City line be incorporated within the development.

9. The scheme has been the subject of detailed consultation with the City of London, CABE, English Heritage, London Underground and the Greater London Authority.

10. The building is expected to achieve an Excellent BREEAM rating. It will include a suite of sustainable energy conservation measures and the feasibility of introducing borehole cooling and photovoltaics has been considered. Existing ground level private and underground public car parking will be closed. The development proposes space for 50 cars, 180 motorcycles and 552 bicycles.

11. In the summer of 2007, Legal & General is due to move its Group Headquarters and Investment Management business from the Bucklersbury House site to new City premises at No.1 Coleman Street, EC2.

12. A public exhibition setting out the proposals for Walbrook Square, including a visual display of images and models, will be held at Bucklersbury House (Budge Row off Cannon Street) on Thursday 22 and Friday 23 June 2006 from 10am-4pm.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #39
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse
12. A public exhibition setting out the proposals for Walbrook Square, including a visual display of images and models, will be held at Bucklersbury House (Budge Row off Cannon Street) on Thursday 22 and Friday 23 June 2006 from 10am-4pm.
My office is about 10 minutes' walk from there, so I can probably get some pics in my lunch hour.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #40
Muse

Likes (Received): 33

Cool bananas!

BTW, on specifically the same page the above is from, contact details are given. Some glossy renders to scan may be available via these means...

It reads...

For futher information please contact:
Kate Harris or Josephine Cutts at Foster and Partners

Tel: 44(0)20 7738 0455
Fax 44(0)20 7943 6097
Email: [email protected]

...or if convenient, front up @ the practice itself.

This is going to be v. exciting architecture.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london