Bloomberg Place | City of London | 41m | 10 fl - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2006, 09:12 AM   #41
Fragmentor

Likes (Received): 1

Thank you Muse! Sounds like maybe this one will have a relatively easy ride (?) if its been looked at by EH
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:00 PM   #42
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 153

Right then. Anyone who wants to take a look at this can find it in this weeks Estate's Gazette. It'll only cost you a few quid, or failing that just sneakily open the plastic covering.

Two renders of the scheme. The first the same as we've already seen scanned on the previous page but in colour. My reaction is that I quite like the leaning building but am suspicous of the taller building which appears to be constructed from water vapour. This clearly isn't scientifically possable so I suspect it will actually be made of some sort of glass/metal combination and won't actually look like a cloud at all.

The second smaller picture is a skyline render from I imagine the Tate Modern with outlines of the rest of the unbuilt skyline. Have to say that it looks diabolical. For a shortish building its presence on the skyline is huge. It just doesn't fit. The lower rise element is tall enough to break cover behind a great stretch of the north bank. It reminded me of a silvery Dome with the tower sticking up behind. I suspect the impact won't be so pronounced from the Waterloo Bridge view but it still gets a big thumbs down from me I'm afraid.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:19 PM   #43
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14394

cant agree more, they look desparately bad. interestingly one of the prs attached is at pains to not only not supply any renderings, but to stress these arent towers! it strikes to me almost as if they are trying to play down the fact that these are tall buildings in a very prominent location from the thames.

a tower by the way is any building that is taller than its diameter
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM   #44
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

wait to see the exhibition. I'll be there avec camera and see if the nice people don't mind me taking a few snaps. Anyway, view of Bucklesbury House (just right of the centre, bang in the middle - almost).

106m will make a real difference to the skyline - something of a 'stepped up' midrise to sit in front of the emerging city cluster.

The premise (Foster/Nouvel) sounds promising, as do the intentions to include the Temple of Mithras ruins etc. The north/south routes will help pedestrian access between Cannon Street / Queen Victoria Street and Mansion House. More importantly the appalling Mithras Wine Bar (site of several messy Xmas office parties) will disappear for ever. Hurrah!
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:21 PM   #45
bileduct
malu cachu

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
That must be a rendering of the new Phillipe Starck proposal just behind the Royal Exchange. Love the sensuous curves of the cladding and the limpid hue of the accomodation. Taller than the old stock exchange too - cool.
bileduct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:35 PM   #46
Manuel

Likes (Received): 33

Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:45 PM   #47
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM   #48
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

106m is too tall for that site. Its gonna obscure alot of the view from Waterloo etc

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:29 PM   #49
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster2k
Yuk!
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:39 PM   #50
Fragmentor

If that curve was facing waterloo bridge it would be like a giant ramp leading upto the cluster, which would be interesting
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:06 PM   #51
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10514

"Legal and General succeeeded in having the St Paul's Cathedral sightlines revised in the Greater London authorities' draft managment framework in the London Plan, which has allowed it to maximise the size of the scheme and include a 22-storey tower."

DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:10 PM   #52
Fragmentor

Well, its totally different to what I had expected, and much bigger! its a huge impact on the entire view, unescapeable. I think it looks quite good
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM   #53
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 390

On the second pic, is that big thing that looks like the millenium dome part of the development? It looks alot better in those pictures, I quite like it! Very different!
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM   #54
wjfox
Futurist

My God, this will have a massive impact on the skyline.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:36 PM   #55
wjfox
Futurist

I assume that spire behind the Exchange Tower is Heron Plaza?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:48 PM   #56
Fragmentor

Can't see it as being anyting else...
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:14 PM   #57
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
I assume that spire behind the Exchange Tower is Heron Plaza?
It's the crane that was on the top of the former Stock Exchange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid
On the second pic, is that big thing that looks like the millenium dome part of the development?
Yes - the 'crack' in the middle of it is the gap that you see in the first pic.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:20 PM   #58
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 390

The whole development looks extremely futuristic, When Drapers is gone it will make a great end to the cluster from that view.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:21 PM   #59
DarJoLe

So much for demolishing Draper's Gardens to give the City cluster more definition....

I'm torn on this. I actually like it. It's sculptural, and in a weird way it feels really Blade Runner-esque like someone has plopped a 23rd century spaceship in the City. I can perfectly understand the shimmering effect if it's stainless steel or somekind of aluminium. I'm loving the idea of the Temple Of Mithras, the oldest surviving piece of man-made history in the City being 'shielded' by these 'aliens' of the future. Yet at the same time is this just another 1960s 'iconic' 'landmark' mistake waiting in the wings? Is this the start of developers dictating and manipulating the sightline effect to their own gain?

One thing I am very excited about though is imagining the second rendering with all the towers built. And bizarrely, I've completely changed my tune on there being too many glass buildings - it will look spectacular in the sunshine, a shimmering crystal- like skyline of the 21st century.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:40 PM   #60
Medo

Likes (Received): 546

it's growing on me like a wild fungus. Isn't it supposed to be 4 towers? I don't see the 4th one
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london