Bloomberg Place | City of London | 41m | 10 fl - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:58 PM   #61
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

It's certainly interesting, and very futuristic looking.

I just hope it won't be too "distracting" and draw attention away from some of the other, taller buildings.

Btw, remember that this 2nd rendering is from Tate Modern, not Waterloo Bridge.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:22 PM   #62
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo
Isn't it supposed to be 4 towers? I don't see the 4th one
The fourth is the square light glass box in front of the 'spaceship' to the right.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #63
dom

Likes (Received): 10

I think it looks remarkable. The tower definitely can't be accused of being a box!

Whether it will actually be built is another matter. That said, Legal and General aren't exactly short of money.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #64
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom
That said, Legal and General aren't exactly short of money.
Or balls it seems, managing to get the sightlines rejigged to build this.
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #65
london lad

Likes (Received): 3671

Looks amazing ni those renderings- im sure they will have more & models as well at the exhibtion whenever that is.

Imagine If/When this is built walking through this development, looking at the old Roman ruins, then turning left into Bank & seeing the bank or England & Royal exchange with LLoyds & DIFA etc in the background.

Theres no reason it shouldn't get built, L&G have been working on this for years & have stanhope as a partner. Plus this is about prime city site as you can get & once L&G move out next year it will be a redundant 60's building that couldn't even be refurbed in the time being so it will be ready for demolition ( i worked there briefly about 6 years ago & it was well past its prime even then). I would imagine theres a fair few companies who would want such a striking development right in the heart of the city. L&G are loaded as well.

Also I think because they have been developing ths for so long all the relevant bodies have had a chance to look at the designs & seeing how there was no response from EH or anyone else when this scheme was announced then this might get through planning alright.

Dont forget as well, If NM Rothschild get there 20storey Koolhaas scheme through as well then it should be an interestig are for modern architecture.

One last point- in the rendering it looks like the outline of the replacement for the 60's cannon st station block is outlined which will be shorter than the current building & make the view of the cluster behin even more pronounced.

I cant wait till 2012 or whenever when all these modern towers etc are built & the 60's eyesores are no longer there. Worldbeating skyline comes to mind
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #66
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad

One last point- in the rendering it looks like the outline of the replacement for the 60's cannon st station block is outlined which will be shorter than the current building & make the view of the cluster behin even more pronounced.
Don't forget also, the replacement for Mondial House will be visible in this view as well.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #67
Fragmentor

Likes (Received): 1

Well it all sounds rather positive, im glad, i like it, even though it really is big is doesnt seem to be intrusive in a bad way
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #68
Dan1987

Likes (Received): 1

I like this development, although the cladding must stay true to the renders for this to stay amazing.
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #69
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 5

Fenchurch I love, but this one hasn't convinced me yet... Unique alright, but looks so very crazy. Hopefully I'll change my mind when we get better renderings
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #70
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1539

This development now is my no1. Ok LBT is my fav supertall, but this is staggering. Ive never seen anything like it ! I liked it when we only had the poor quality newspaper scan, but I kept quiet....well its as good as I imagined, if that is It comes out anything like that !
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #71
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 7237

Hmmmm...can't quite decide whether I love it or hate it...I'm leaning more towards just liking it at the moment. That render is pretty dodgy though, you can't really make out how the towers will actually look...hopefully some better renders will be appearing in the not too distant future that will give a clearer impression of how it's going to look. Still, I'm fairly optimistic at this point.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #72
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 286

I'm afraid to say that I do not like this one bit at the moment. It looks far to wide and huge for the city. I prefer seeing sleek and slender things like all the skyscrapers that are set to appear...this just seems to imposing (and in my opinion ugly). Not what I come to expect of Foster.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #73
Skid-Mark

Likes (Received): 0

Still hard to make out whats what with this,think we can start to extrapelate a probable overhead profile???
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #74
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

It's the most bizzare building I think I've ever seen, I don't know what to think of it at the moment, so I'm currently on the fence.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #75
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazKinz
It's the most bizarre building I think I've ever seen, I don't know what to think of it at the moment, so I'm currently on the fence.

absolutely agree, difficult to take a view on it on the basis of two renders, thought it looks like nothing else I've ever seen! Exhibition between 10 and 4 on 22nd and 23rd June at the current site. I'll be along in my lunch hour - intrigued with this I am.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #76
london lad

Likes (Received): 3671

Another pic of this- This time from the West & also a story on it..

[IMG]http://i4.************/10pyl1s.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...ryCode=3067993
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #77
Skid-Mark

Likes (Received): 0

looks better in that render, but still, from the available pics this appears to be something that might date really quickly, the tower element looks ok but that giant saucer looks like a prop from doctor who.

Will wait for more info/renders, and in the meantime trust the foster.
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #78
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 286

Well that second render looks MUCH better, but still a bit bulky.

Last edited by Jamandell (d69); May 26th, 2006 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling error
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #79
DarJoLe

Make a lot more sense from that rendering, really like how this will create a new pedestrian route as demonstrated above. I'm still loving the complete sculptural nature of this, and I can imagine the evening sun bouncing off the various angled panels creating this shimmer effect.

However. This will only be the case if the cladding is top notch.
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #80
potto

Likes (Received): 12126

mmm well after the tidal wave of boring low/mid rises, looks like a pearl has been uncovered. This is what the Broadgate development should have been... and dare I suggest even Paternoster Square

I dont think that this will potentially end up being another '1960s mistake'. Some points to consider:

a) It is opening up ancient pedestrian routes, it hasnt forced itself into the street pattern like the old building which arrogantly ignored the street line, cut off routes and filled space with a car parks!

b) We've learnt a lot about how buildings interact with the street level experience, ie retail, cafe's, bars set in a high quality environment

c) The building is impressively unique, on a global level too, yet fits in... and this is a factor that people respond too, be it from a norman church to georgian terrace to BT tower. The modernist movement was the first time to promote a universal language in architecture but it took decades for this to really transfer to reality, where mass production and internationalisation of architecture realised this vision. This is more of a hand-crafted response, Rolls Royce compared to a Ford focus, similar to 20 Fenchurch Street, LBT, Leadenhall, Lloyds and Bishopsgate, this is the quality we should be seeking.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london