Birmingham Crane Count - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #81
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Robinson
The ones near the Sentinals are for HCT tower II, the taller one on the opposite side.

Hopefully.
This is one I missed - I heard they were thinking of a tower opposite HCT, but are you saying they're starting to build it? If so does anyone have any renders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #82
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

The hospital will be the largest project in the whole region until it's finnished. It's a bigger project than the Bullring.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #83
van heckler

Likes (Received): 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paulo
This is one I missed - I heard they were thinking of a tower opposite HCT, but are you saying they're starting to build it? If so does anyone have any renders?
Hold your horses. When I said they were by the Sentinals I wasn't on about the cranes being on the 4th corner of Holloway circus. The ones I saw were about 400m up the road on Bath Row, near some church type structure.
van heckler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #84
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3886

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paulo
Sorry, that was a joke, pretty weak one, I missed the ! off the end of Hopefully...
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #85
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by van heckler
Hold your horses. When I said they were by the Sentinals I wasn't on about the cranes being on the 4th corner of Holloway circus. The ones I saw were about 400m up the road on Bath Row, near some church type structure.
Horses held.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Robinson
Sorry, that was a joke, pretty weak one, I missed the ! off the end of Hopefully...
Ooo, I'm all jittery after last night - maybe alcohol has suppressed my ability to notice sarcasm!
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #86
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I don't know whether these have already been mentioned but there are 2 tower cranes at the top end of St Pauls Square - a Costain apartment job.

Saw them on Saturday night

There's also another one at the back of the NIA - 2 there now

Last edited by Biosonic; September 11th, 2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Addition
Biosonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #87
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

and there is atleast 1 that has gone up on the i-land site
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #88
canarywondergod

Likes (Received): 83

im not sure if these two cranes have been mentioned but i was just snapping away at 8.00 in the morning yesterday (hence the mist) and got this nice picture of the centre of brum with these two cranes in the foreground.

canarywondergod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #89
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canarywondergod
im not sure if these two cranes have been mentioned but i was just snapping away at 8.00 in the morning yesterday (hence the mist) and got this nice picture of the centre of brum with these two cranes in the foreground.

I love this picture, if it wasn't for the BT Tower & a couple of other buildings, it looks like it was taken in the 1930's .... brilliant!
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #90
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Saw one up Shard End way this morning and a temp crane has appeared next to Fort Dunlop.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #91
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Those are the 2 Costain cranes canary - good work!

Woody - time for a recount?
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #92
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD
I love this picture, if it wasn't for the BT Tower & a couple of other buildings, it looks like it was taken in the 1930's .... brilliant!
Yeah I can't believe that canarywondergod's photo is from 2006 - just look at that smog!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #93
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

Those two cranes are there to start work on yet another of Birmingham's famous dwarf scrapers of course (he says curtly, considering it's now over TWO months since any previous announcement of news concerning A**** C****** was forthcoming).

Brum is so dead on the tall building front it's untrue.
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #94
Downtown Mark

Likes (Received): 0

I completley agree with you Martin, its easy to be home proud and stick up for our city but lets face it its not enough, too many low rise wont do naff all internationllay speaking, Tapeii ( Tawain ) wasnt known for its dominant skyline yet they now have the tallest building in the world, Its no surprise 2 Sundays ago it was in the sunday times travel section all about Taiwan, The cube is fantastic so is AC but AC we have to wait long long time meanwhile there is so many people right now who can view New street station, our repuation wont be so high until that station is sorted out and a lot more big ones start going up, Even AC isnt enough on an international level ( aren't Manchester getting a bigger one too?) we need more like Miami is getting shit loads right now cranes here & there fair play to them, On an international level low rise is quite depressing the last thing to be excited about

Until we have lots of highrise not just a few i dont think internationally we will have such an impact & we will just be looked at as another frankfurt or something of that scope, I still love Brum but i so wish for more, Nice one Martin for pointing out the obvious, if we settle for what we have now and what is coming we'll surely surely get a average repuation. My guess is if we had around 3 or 4 high rise just in thecentral zone around 185 metres high AC kind of size, That would be the right kind of ingrediants to make us more well known to our foreign neighbours. For UK standards yes we'll be high & mighty but we need more of the AC kind of height to impress more to the world.

Last edited by Downtown Mark; September 12th, 2006 at 05:57 AM.
Downtown Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #95
Biosonic
Second Citizen

OK, that's it. Let's screw the historical and serene setting of the Jewellery Quarter and stick a 40-storey tower right in the midst of it shall we? That will make for good urban design and considerate masterplanning won't it?

What's the problem? BST is in for planning, AC has its architect and developer appointed (they don't just 'magic' designs out of thin air you know) and New St Station has had 2 towers included in the outline planning application.

Give it time and you will see other proposals appear. Things aren't moving as fast as we would all like but they are definitely gathering pace after a bit of a lull.

Do you really want a tower on St Paul's Square? Honestly, if that were the case and the council were to allow it to go ahead I would leave this city. Last time they snactioned vandalism like that was the 50s & 60s vandalism of the city. Shocking.
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #96
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Mark
I completley agree with you Martin, its easy to be home proud and stick up for our city but lets face it its not enough, too many low rise wont do naff all internationllay speaking, Tapeii ( Tawain ) wasnt known for its dominant skyline yet they now have the tallest building in the world, Its no surprise 2 Sundays ago it was in the sunday times travel section all about Taiwan, The cube is fantastic so is AC but AC we have to wait long long time meanwhile there is so many people right now who can view New street station, our repuation wont be so high until that station is sorted out and a lot more big ones start going up, Even AC isnt enough on an international level ( aren't Manchester getting a bigger one too?) we need more like Miami is getting shit loads right now cranes here & there fair play to them, On an international level low rise is quite depressing the last thing to be excited about

Until we have lots of highrise not just a few i dont think internationally we will have such an impact & we will just be looked at as another frankfurt or something of that scope, I still love Brum but i so wish for more, Nice one Martin for pointing out the obvious, if we settle for what we have now and what is coming we'll surely surely get a average repuation. My guess is if we had around 3 or 4 high rise just in thecentral zone around 185 metres high AC kind of size, That would be the right kind of ingrediants to make us more well known to our foreign neighbours. For UK standards yes we'll be high & mighty but we need more of the AC kind of height to impress more to the world.
average population... ??? wtf you do talk some rubbish, open your eyes, stop ******* whinging and appreciate what the city is doing and has done, I tell you what after walking around some new developments yesterday I was so proud of the level of design added to the existing buildings, walking along the canals visitors kept talking to me about my camera and then going on to say how amazed they were with Birmingham and how well it is eveloving.

Last edited by Elizabeth Kinoke; September 12th, 2006 at 01:28 PM.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #97
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #98
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
Those two cranes are there to start work on yet another of Birmingham's famous dwarf scrapers of course (he says curtly, considering it's now over TWO months since any previous announcement of news concerning A**** C****** was forthcoming).

Brum is so dead on the tall building front it's untrue.
Wait & see Mr G, wait & see!
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #99
Downtown Mark

Likes (Received): 0

Average repuation i think you meant to say not population? I dont think its good to put a tall in ST pauls square never did mean that i was talking about the car park space down the road, wasnt rough diamond going to be there anyway? peple drive past on the road there its a good location for such a thing as rough diamond, yea something keeping in tact with Jewellry of course.

Yea i know there is BST ,AC and others but there arent enough around the 185 metres kind of height that's what im talking about, i know about the two towers new street thats cool but pity our policy seems to not let us go more high than 185 metres, as i said its all good for Birmingham in the UK but many people from the states , Japan , Hong kong even China do you think they will be so amazed really?? Because they have more & higher back home too.

In my opinion its only common sense to compare to the world because thats what its all about isnt it putting Birmingham on the map? the whole council's ambition is to put us on the map isnt it? thats what we keep reading, so my argument is just do you think its really enough with our current size trends? some may say its not just about size, well look at Tapei now, No guessing why thats known more famous now?

before you all get tits up i reccomend you take a look at other world city's, the final result will be nothing more than average o na world scale, When you finally have a look at other city scapes, after all this is SSC were talking about so lets compare to the best why not?
Downtown Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #100
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

yes but mark, i cant help but think you are mixing a few things up..... have a world city and a a city of world importance does not translate directly to having the tallest buildingings in the world, and i also think it would be pointless to try and expect any city in the uk to ever have towers of that scale. you are comparing cities of 10-15 million people to our very respectable 2-3 million....

we are not sayig we dotn want skyscrapers but to be expecting anything much more that the 175m of ac wopuld be stupid......
Advertisement

Tags
crane