Birmingham Crane Count - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #101
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

precisely.. anyway, we have several massive buildings in the pipeline and a couple of iconic ones too
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #102
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Rumour has it that Ian Simpson is interested in the library scheme.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #103
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD
Wait & see Mr G, wait & see!

I'm waiting.....and waiting....but I haven't seen ******* anything yet!

Besides, how much more "waiting" am I supposed to do? I'm ******* middle-aged now and I don't have very long on this blessed planet - unlike some of you youngsters who can still look forward to 2026 and not even hit your 40s.

If it's going to take up to 2013 for New Street Station to ******* get started on at this bleeding rate then **** me, I'll be wicker-chair bound by the time Brum finally gets its proper skyscraper schemes off the ground - but then again there may already be a shift in attitudes to building tall by that point and Brum, as ever, will discover that it's well and truly missed the boat whilst other cities have capitalised on it and made the most of the boom while it has lasted.

It's become such a boring conservative city in so many respects now it makes me want to tear my hair and eyeballs out.

Arse...that's what it all is.
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #104
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

if you think its bad here, try newcastle
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #105
Martin G

Yes, but Newcastle is NOT a very large city - and it certainly isn't the second biggest city either (well, I assume that Brum STILL IS the UK's second city, unless it's now relinquished the title to Manchester of course).

For a city that until recently was the only other large "million" city in the UK, the fact its infrastructure is so piss poor (rather crap rail system, no extensive Metro system yet, no underground/subway, mediocre and inadequate county-wide road system, no tall buildings being planned any higher than the "safe limit" - whatever that is) compared to similar-sized cities on the continent (Rotterdam, Frankfurt and Cologne spring immediately to mind) is of acute embarrassment surely?

Birmingham has had so many aspirations to be a European centre of culture and commerce or whatever the hell it is supposed to want to strive for over the last 20 years...but, faced with such conservatism, lack of government commitment for its infrastructure in favour of London etc etc, and a council who don't really know whether to push or be pulled, how much progress is being made to cement these claims exactly? Not ******* much!

It's a bit crap isn't it?

Last edited by Martin G; September 13th, 2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #106
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

One must respec' Birmingham for not feeling the need to compete with other cities.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #107
Martin G

That's all very well, but.....it doesn't even seem capable of competing with itself anymore!

Know what I'm getting at??
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #108
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke
well that's six I can see guys
Mr Glide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #109
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Mark
I completley agree with you Martin, its easy to be home proud and stick up for our city but lets face it its not enough, too many low rise wont do naff all internationllay speaking, Tapeii ( Tawain ) wasnt known for its dominant skyline yet they now have the tallest building in the world, Its no surprise 2 Sundays ago it was in the sunday times travel section all about Taiwan, The cube is fantastic so is AC but AC we have to wait long long time meanwhile there is so many people right now who can view New street station, our repuation wont be so high until that station is sorted out and a lot more big ones start going up, Even AC isnt enough on an international level ( aren't Manchester getting a bigger one too?) we need more like Miami is getting shit loads right now cranes here & there fair play to them, On an international level low rise is quite depressing the last thing to be excited about

Until we have lots of highrise not just a few i dont think internationally we will have such an impact & we will just be looked at as another frankfurt or something of that scope, I still love Brum but i so wish for more, Nice one Martin for pointing out the obvious, if we settle for what we have now and what is coming we'll surely surely get a average repuation. My guess is if we had around 3 or 4 high rise just in thecentral zone around 185 metres high AC kind of size, That would be the right kind of ingrediants to make us more well known to our foreign neighbours. For UK standards yes we'll be high & mighty but we need more of the AC kind of height to impress more to the world.
'just be looked at as another Frankfurt'...Oh the misery and embarrasment of looking like Frankfurt - have you seen their skyline DM?
I think you need to put SimCity aside for a few minutes my friend and get a reality check - like looking out of your window, or doing a walk around the city centre. I think we've all been at this conversation juncture before regarding the folly of hoping that skyscrapers will spring up here, there and everywhere. That would be just great wouldn't it - let's aspire to look like just another homogenised American city. Not!
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #110
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
That's all very well, but.....it doesn't even seem capable of competing with itself anymore!

Know what I'm getting at??
Mr G, I'm not being funny, but...............

I get the impression all this is seriously eating away at you, to the point of obsession almost; however, I am assuming your rather strident rumblings and rantings are merely a by product of your extremely dry and rape like wit - or last nights curry, no?
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #111
Martin G

I don't do curry, sunshine. It usually gives me the shits.

I prefer Polo mints......

...but then they don't go in my mouth either.....
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #112
Downtown Mark

Likes (Received): 0

TO Mr Glide the only reason me or MG might feel frustrated is probably more to with the fact we do have pride in the city, Its natural to feel this way when you can see things could be much better looking.

I do walk around the city centre many many times & done more than looking out the window, maybe its time you started looking out of a window in another country yourself rather than just in Birmingham mate, ok it sounds a bit daft in retrospect buildings sprining up here there and everywhere but i think YOU NEED A REALITY CHECK NOT ME CHECK THIS > Shanghai is doing just that in its recent massive boom Miami is doing it and claims are already been made it will be the 2nd best skyline after New york, OK its not just big buildings but to be more than average comparing to other world cities high rise buildings has got to be a major reason has it not??????????????????????????
otherwise please explain to me why any current city experiencing a boom is going sky high reaching the limits? Its draws a masaive attention to itself, i read the economist magazine months ago about Shanghai, It wasnt talking about wing poo wong who created chopsticks years ago it was boasting the pictures of huge future skyline's, In Boredaux they have CD players in MC donalds even there is so modern, I saw in Zagreb how the people are fashionable & sophisticated when you take a reality check yourslelf mate and see the world dont know if you have or not? (and its not my buisness too) but when you do come back here and convince me what will be so special about Birmingham even in 7 years?

I guess it all bubbles down to economy? depending how great the economy is going is reflecting onto skylines, Hong kong land area isnt too big but has massive highrise, It must all conclude to money and how big the economy is of a certain city and the skylines are a great way of getting an idea of how well a place is doing, I guess we are doing ok and thats why our skyline is ok too.

I dont think Birmingham is bad certaily not im proud of our elegant buildings so much, but been as though this thread is kind of pointing at skylines i think its worth to say how all of our near future plans wil be nice , great but certainly not too different from anywhere else, I take the point woodenhouse reminded me that we are 2-3 million population so its stupid to compare to the biggest and best who hold 15 million even 33 million the biggest city in the world, so i do stand corrected in going astray making the mistake judging to the world biggest, but i still feel we deserve more asap if the council are telling us WE WANT TO PUT BIRMINGHAM ON THE WORLD MAP, meanwhile aswell as our beautiful buildings for the next 5 years people will also leave Birmingham remembering our terrible station will they not? 5 years is a long time to leave a lasting impression, how many of these people in the next few years will be here again to see we had a new nice station and having that impression instead? isnt it crazy it too kthis long & longer still that we have to wait such long time for it? it should of been changed ages ago &sadly now many will remember this eye saw as part of there impression in our city. I saw in here once a brilliant picture of a possible New street station it was kind of diamond shaped at the front it looked really futuristic and original i hope something like that will be displayed?

My final thoughts & experience in Birmingham is a feeling of been in a small yet big city, a small big city. Can't blame us folk for been frustrated wishing for more, Theres no time for been content not yet anyway. We are realising and gettiing there slowly indeed.

Last edited by Downtown Mark; September 13th, 2006 at 05:48 AM.
Downtown Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #113
Mr Glide
He glides like a bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
I don't do curry, sunshine. It usually gives me the shits.

I prefer Polo mints......

...but then they don't go in my mouth either.....
erk!!
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #114
Downtown Mark

(words of Digby jones) > Some of the fastest growing European cities are showing English cities a clean pair of heels in terms of their higher levels of growth and that is in part because of higher levels of choice, higher levels of autonomy they enjoy with greater flexibility about setting priorities and the money available. None of us can afford to be parochial or narrow minded, we are all operating in global and national context.

Just read this in another thread i like this man he was talking lots of sense at the ICC it appears, Of course putting Birmingham on the map ( not a stupid city region name) must connect with a Global and national context, Iv'e thought it and heard it for along time now and i think its definatly true us brummies think only of ourselves and dont show many signs of interest at all to other countries or foreign cities, its certainly not the case in London. Iv'e met all kinds of people in here my time and it seems harldy anybody enjoys talking about other places other than Brum?? Iv'e found it to be a narrow minded culture generally speaking of course, does B'ham think about its foreign neighbours other than the Cyprus, tenerfie, Ibiza piss ups lol!

I may make many wrong judgements sometimes but atleast im always thinking globally when i think about Birmingham & im definatly not complacent.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #115
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Mark, I think you are completely and utterly wrong and may be inclined to base your opinions from experiences on forums like this. This is a Birmingham forum so people will tall about Birmingham here. If people in the street chit chat then they will talk about the local weather, the local news, local sport, gossip from their street - that is human nature. I doubt whether people in Moscow talk about the price of artichokes in Sheffield, and nor to people in Islamabad talk about the congestion during market day in Ludlow.

Britain as a whole is very outward-looking at the moment as we struggle to find our place somewhere between Europe and America, and Birmingham in particular is really quite clued-up because much of our government funding for regeneration has come from Europe (you must be kidding if you think that the British Government would actually help Birmingham) and West Midland businesses, being largely manufacturers and professional services, have much of their market abroad. Coupled with a large mixed population, and the fact the city sells itself as 'the meeting place of Europe' I would defy many other cities in the country to match 'Greater' Brum's familiarity with the outside world. London does of course, but that is because it is a world city (and there are only a handful of true world cities).

At the moment it is pointless us comparing to the likes of Lyons or Frankfurt, because our hands are tied when it comes to controlling our destiny, finance, policies. Frankfurt, Milan, Lyons, Chicago; our sister cities, are masters of their own destiny whereas we are bound by whatever Whitehall decrees. Until we can shake off those manacles we (nor any other British city) will ever be able to be as strong as those other cities.
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #116
Downtown Mark

Its true what your saying but its 100% correct in my view and not only mine but people who have moved into the city that brummies are well friendly & so nice but need to travel a bit more because people just dont seem interested in talk about other countries in my experience anyway, I work with around 52 people and not one person in the whole place i can talk abut on the same level about travel & world geography and general chit chat like that but i have 1 friend & his father who love talk about everything around the world, polotics and history everything we can talk about, Yes people talk about local things everywhere but i for 1 get a huge buzz watching CNN News to see whats happening in the world, If ther eis a volcanic eruption in Mexico im fascanted to bits, I recently got excited about the worlds biggest wave ever surfed which is in my Wifes hometown Wakayama that was so cool to get that story & see the waves. Iv'e spent the last few years with Japanese friends who are well travelled and its no different to talk local things or to say in Canada they excpected tips when iwas at the restaraunt for example, I find students and intelligent people are open minded & thats stimulating conversation but certainly from the suburbs the nice & really beautiful people i know dont give a damn about world things & seem to live very narrow lives.

When i asked a woman from Burma who is well worldy wise in an independant shop, what do you think of Birmingham & its people

she replied Birmingham has some lovley buildings and the people are very friendly but she said they also need to see the world a bit more & know there neighbours. I think it is a fair & true comment.
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #117
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 102

Hi Mark,

Some of the wisest and most intelligent people I know don't travel very often at all. I would say you're unwise to judge people for not sharing your interests, they're probably judging you in exactly the same way wondering why you can't relate to theirs.....
hammerb24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #118
SlidingOnCharm

Likes (Received):

Downtown Mark - you're simply a wannabe snob. You seem to think that the more countries you've visited makes you more cultured and sophisticated than anyone else, and gives you a right to look own on other people who you seem to think aren't up to your level.

In reality it just makes you sound like a ****. Plus next time you want to try and patronise people, you might want to learn how to spell.
Old September 24th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #119
Downtown Mark

Bollocks! your just proud of here so you cant admit what outsiders see & think not only me, I Know people who dont live here anymore that share the same view.

havn't you read the statements read form the proffesionals which are posted in this website???????????
They all said what im saying like how we need to know our neighbours more etc.. it bores me to repeat myself now anyhow,,, if you think it's just me although im stretching it you should read the threads & what the proffesionals said in a statement at the ICC in B'ham....

no wander it doesnt move along this city because everybody is same as how you replying in here dont admit it & just proud, I dont care what anybody replies all bothered & wat not but im sticking with what the outsiders say & i still love Birmingham too so carry on your igronance.

Its exactly the same as England football team they'll never change there out of date tactics because of the plain pride meanwhile Europe play mostly sexy football and actuall manage to pass more than 8 passes on a routine basis. Same mentality makes for never changes end of story.
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #120
Downtown Mark

back on the crane scene as i'll only agree to disagree with 99% of people it seems so anyway i was walking around town the other day with my friends and i thought how masshouse project will look so awesome when its completle, I hope so anyway the wide area there will give a really bigger look to the city no doubt & seeing the canal area by warwick bar i thouhgt the potential is huge massive for that area its very exciitng indeed, Although it will take some while i do appreciate things are been made done for our pleasure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crane