The General Bus Discussion Thread - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #121
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

Likes (Received): 3

I wish 174 could increase in frequency or capacity at peak hours. It's getting too crowded to get on the bus (even though it's a double-decker bus) especially along Farrer Road! Not to mention the lack of alternatives till Farrer Road Station is ready...

It's due to sudden influx of foreign talents. Hope SBSTransit or SMRT will introduce a premium bus service to ferry people along Farrer Road to Raffles Place and Tanjong Pagar. I don't mind paying a premium of $3-5 per trip for comfort and better service level. Getting a cab at peak hours along Farrer Road is a huge challenge. Taxi fare could go up to $14 at peak hours due to traffic jam, taxi surcharges and ERP charges.
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #122
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinthus View Post
I wish 174 could increase in frequency or capacity at peak hours. It's getting too crowded to get on the bus (even though it's a double-decker bus) especially along Farrer Road! Not to mention the lack of alternatives till Farrer Road Station is ready...

It's due to sudden influx of foreign talents. Hope SBSTransit or SMRT will introduce a premium bus service to ferry people along Farrer Road to Raffles Place and Tanjong Pagar. I don't mind paying a premium of $3-5 per trip for comfort and better service level. Getting a cab at peak hours along Farrer Road is a huge challenge. Taxi fare could go up to $14 at peak hours due to traffic jam, taxi surcharges and ERP charges.
I've taken 174 before, nearly sandwiched by the door, as in more than 100% packed!

I also wish for greater frequency of bus 74. In the morning always crowded with students. It connects HCI, NP, SIM, SP, ACS. And also Nanyang Girls' and NJC across the road.

So many major schools along the way.

Last edited by redstone; April 22nd, 2007 at 07:39 PM.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:16 AM   #123
blizzardtweaker
****** User

Likes (Received): 0

74 currently runs between 0-5mins during peak hours (avg 2mins), n quite often, even during off-peak, 2 74s run one behind the other. if 74's frequency is further increased, u will literally see them sticking to each other...
blizzardtweaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:02 PM   #124
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardtweaker View Post
74 currently runs between 0-5mins during peak hours (avg 2mins), n quite often, even during off-peak, 2 74s run one behind the other. if 74's frequency is further increased, u will literally see them sticking to each other...
It's not rare to see 74s not stopping at bus stops during morning school rush hour cos the bus is literally bursting at the seams.

I ever seen two 74s not stopping at bus stops and eventually caused me to be late for school.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM   #125
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Likes (Received): 6

Oh so it's not quite as bad as 179 and 199 yet ^ ^
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:48 AM   #126
^tamago^

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardtweaker View Post
actually 74's frequency is getting worst. and during peak hours, many of them are stuck along ang mo kio ave 6, marymount rd, lornie rd (74) and PIE (74e). it is really inefficient.

they shld get 74e out of that marymount area and run straight to NP.
^tamago^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:06 PM   #127
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

If only we could work / study from home or start work / school at different hours of the day, the issue would be resolved.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM   #128
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^tamago^ View Post
actually 74's frequency is getting worst. and during peak hours, many of them are stuck along ang mo kio ave 6, marymount rd, lornie rd (74) and PIE (74e). it is really inefficient.

they shld get 74e out of that marymount area and run straight to NP.
74 is normally taken by students living in central Singapore in the morning rush hour. Many tertiary and popular schools. Hence the high ridership. ALWAYS crammed in the mornings.

The worst bus I ever took was 174 in Farrer direction from Orchard, say around 6:30pm. 3 times, I boarded the bus and could not advance futher than the 2nd step of the stairs. Was virtually squeezed to the door. Luckily my stop was only 2 stops away.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:01 PM   #129
Singapor3

Luckily for me, I board bus 74 at SP bustop, which I always walk up to the 2nd deck and easily find a seat. I've seen like 3 74 together, but quite a cute sight. lol.
Singapor3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #130
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinthus View Post
If only we could work / study from home or start work / school at different hours of the day, the issue would be resolved.
That would be ideal
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #131
^tamago^

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
74 is normally taken by students living in central Singapore in the morning rush hour. Many tertiary and popular schools. Hence the high ridership. ALWAYS crammed in the mornings.
I live at AMK.

but i have observed that 74 no longer bunches nowadays, even though it is running at short interval of 3-5 mins or so (8-10mins during off-peak), it no longer bunches as much as before. in fact, it was 151 that was handling its high ridership better than before, strangely.
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #132
Kit
arkitect

Likes (Received): 10

I just saw 4 74s parked front to back outside NP bus stop the other day.
Kit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #133
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Wah! What time and in which direction?
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #134
ddes

Likes (Received): 1050

I know 74 frequencies are quite good but morning peak hours especially along Ang Mo Kio Ave 3/6, Marymount Road can cause buses to be coupling or tripling. I know 74 has high ridership due to the many schools it serves.

But 174? I do not really get how come it gets crowded almost 7 days a week. The few times I headed to the city from Millennia Institute at Bukit Batok West, 174 remained not very crowded, but sardine- packed?

Could someone please explain to me how come this happens?

By the way, Singapore's 3rd fully air- conditioned bus interchange opens this coming Saturday at Ang Mo Kio.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #135
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarkdom View Post
I know 74 frequencies are quite good but morning peak hours especially along Ang Mo Kio Ave 3/6, Marymount Road can cause buses to be coupling or tripling. I know 74 has high ridership due to the many schools it serves.

But 174? I do not really get how come it gets crowded almost 7 days a week. The few times I headed to the city from Millennia Institute at Bukit Batok West, 174 remained not very crowded, but sardine- packed?

Could someone please explain to me how come this happens?

By the way, Singapore's 3rd fully air- conditioned bus interchange opens this coming Saturday at Ang Mo Kio.
Major schools along 74 route:

Hwa Chong Inst, Nanyang Girls', National JC, Raffles Girls' Pri, Methodist Girls' Pri/Sec, Ngee Ann Poly, SIM University, Singapore Poly, ACS Independent + ACS Int'l + ACJC, ITE Dover.
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #136
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Likes (Received): 1

You guys and gals should try boarding the bus 96 from NUS to Clementi MRT during after work rush hours

Especially if you are at the last 'high volume' stop you can see more than 2 to 3 or even 4 buses that will not stop because of the sardines inside.
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #137
redstone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
You guys and gals should try boarding the bus 96 from NUS to Clementi MRT during after work rush hours

Especially if you are at the last 'high volume' stop you can see more than 2 to 3 or even 4 buses that will not stop because of the sardines inside.

Lucky the worst I got was two 74s not stopping.... took it at Marymount, opposite the driving range. It caused me to be late for school
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #138
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post

Lucky the worst I got was two 74s not stopping.... took it at Marymount, opposite the driving range. It caused me to be late for school
Lucky for me too coz I used to stay in Campus and dun have to take the bus 96 to the Clementi MRT.

But it's a mixed feeling of wanting to laugh at the sardines and at the same time feel sorry for them.

Hopefully the new Circle line kent ridge mrt will help but from NUS' layout and current in campus shuttle bus routes...it looks like it is does not support the flow of students to the future mrt station which is behind the NUH hospital.
Maybe the university willdo something.
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #139
^tamago^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Whoa photo opportunity!
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #140
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Actually we have to admit that Singapore's public transport is not that good.

I was in London and I can practically go everywhere with the tube without having to walk more than 150m. And I read that the mayor of London takes the tube to work.
I dont think Singapore leaders take public transport and you always hear them deny that the public transport has problems and say it is world class.
Their actions already betray their words.

Just my opinion. Also have to keep in mind that London has a big headstart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buses, singapore