NEW!!! Snow Hill - 43 & 25 Storey Towers! - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #21
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

looks nice and a real surprise but we've heard this news before and then it fell out of favour but now a tall tower is back again, I think the fact Glen Howells is on board may be a plus as they have been pushing ideas forward for a tower in the city for ages, I think the things we forget is that to many people a tower like the Rotunda is a skyscraper so something of this height is great.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #22
Downtown Mark

Likes (Received): 0

Its really reaching for the heights now brum, this is great news of projects on the way, it shows by reaching such heights as these the city would do even higher if it was allowed im sure? And remember the BST report the talk of BHX & the city council agreeing something for a highrise zone in the city? When the custard factory (which is crucial to B'ham) gets complete and the east park Birmingham would of made a huge leap not to mention Warwick bar too & a waiting development site Great charles street. Anybody Heard anything about Great charles street latley? and that bridge getting done in the near future? bloody hell when the Jewllery qtr area is a bit more polished up too its going to be great in here wish we had a subway substituted for the Metro but i know its a money thing i guess to excpect a subway? who knows? Maybe one day?
Downtown Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #23
van heckler

Likes (Received): 734

The resemblance is uncanny

Quote:
Anyone up for a future skyline attempt?
I would but there's no decent photos available that haven't already been rendered.

I'll upload a few screen shots of my SketchUp model tomorrow though (I've already slapped the Snowhill twins on there)
van heckler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #24
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

Oh my goodness yeah! "The Brumiron Building".
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #25
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

I'm going on holiday for a week next week and am almost considering cancelling it just so I don't get left behind with all these exciting announcements!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #26
Spatula

Likes (Received): 0

Just one question since I've been away at uni for 2+ years and my local Birmingham geography's got a bit messed up since; how tall will this look on the skyline?
Spatula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #27
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

About the same height as the BT tower minus the tranmitter section at the top
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #28
GAZ

Likes (Received): 215

great news

its 40 floors high but 140m high! HCT was 120 metres high, so is the discrepancy because this building will have taller floor to ceiling hights??!?!?

Also, did someone say that it is on the edge of the central ridge which will make it stand out even more?
GAZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #29
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

hct is the lowest a 38 floor building can possibly be... ie BST is 40 flors and 135m
Old October 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #30
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by van heckler View Post

The resemblance is uncanny

I would but there's no decent photos available that haven't already been rendered.

I'll upload a few screen shots of my SketchUp model tomorrow though (I've already slapped the Snowhill twins on there)
Well I did say it had Manhattan feel to it!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #31
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
great news

its 40 floors high but 140m high! HCT was 120 metres high, so is the discrepancy because this building will have taller floor to ceiling hights??!?!?

Also, did someone say that it is on the edge of the central ridge which will make it stand out even more?
Being on the central ridge will give it a better chance of being approved as that is the area where the council what the highrise buildings to be so that they can reflect the topography of the city centre.

The Pinnacle is off the ridge pretty much which may cause problems but its status, height and pretty much everything else about it will give it the extra push.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old October 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #32
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 530

I hope it turns out to be more white than grey...
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #33
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Hmm, I think they grey actually works with this. But white might too. Mediterranean colours wouldnt work. High quality materials would be best on here. Nothing like imitation stuff.

Old October 8th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #34
SimLim

Likes (Received):

That is just stunning. A very nice suprise and outline planning already. Lets hope this go's all the way cause it really will help fill the gap in the skyline. People tommorow's going to be another interesting day hopefully with the Pinnacle Renders but ... lets all dream about this.

175m Arena Square, 175m Pinnacle, 140m Snow Hill, 132m Broad Street, 110m Martineau, The Cube, Brindley Place, Orion 2, Peat House ect ... think we all need to invest in a camera.
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #35
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Already have - A Nikon D70. A massive upgrade from the Fuji Finepix A350.

Old October 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #36
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

SimLim, you forgot the twin towers at New Street. They are 100% going ahead. Unlike Arena Central tower.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #37
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I doubt the AC developers would put all this time into the tower to not get it built. Plus it is on one of the appropriate places for highrise development so it will be difficult to not get a skyscraper there and AC is the only chance. I did not know that the New Street Towers were 100% though. I thought there would be obstacles - expecially from the Stephenson Tower residents who are opposing the demolition of the tower. I still hope we get it though.

Old October 8th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #38
Medo

Likes (Received): 546

Looks great I love it

but on ssn it says this will be 122m?

and the D70 is a great camera Erebus
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #39
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Thats probably the minimum height of the tower unless they got some insider info.

Old October 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #40
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

nope, just a fomula we use when we dont know the exact height of a tower
Advertisement