NEW!!! Snow Hill - 43 & 25 Storey Towers! - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #61
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3888

A mild form of "pigging heck"?
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #62
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

I should've guessed it was a spelling mistake!!!! I thought I was being accused of buggering up the Skyscraper News Website!!!!
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #63
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

nope..... its just your naggin which i protest against

and flamin heck is what i meant!
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #64
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3888

Piggin' heck this web site is slow, And Piggin' heck is what I meant!
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #65
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Flamin' hack is what happens when journalists meet their maker

Anyway, I tried posting this before but will have another go:

Counting the floors, I count 4 double-height sections (3 at base, 1 at top) and 39 normal floors. This makes 45 floors above ground.

Using the rule that 1 resi floor = 3m, I think this is going to be 135m tall

Now, all we need to know is whether this is a vision, or whether there may be a bit more substance to it....

We know Glenn Howells are definitely doing this building, but whether this is the final article or not remains to be establised does it not?
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #66
FLD

It will look fantastic as you approach town from the Lancaster Circus flyover ..... talking of which, there could be another tower of equal height built at Lancaster Circus too!!! Great times ahead for Birmingham!!!
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #67
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

I know someone working in Lloyd House and he has not been told of anything happening there so I doubt there is going to be demolition on that site but mroe a clean and/ or clad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic
We know Glenn Howells are definitely doing this building, but whether this is the final article or not remains to be establised does it not?
Well there facts given seems to be very precise so I believe that was a lot going on behind the scenes here. I think this has been going on for quite a while... And I hope it wont be much longer until this baby rises.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #68
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
Flamin' hack is what happens when journalists meet their maker

Anyway, I tried posting this before but will have another go:

Counting the floors, I count 4 double-height sections (3 at base, 1 at top) and 39 normal floors. This makes 45 floors above ground.

Using the rule that 1 resi floor = 3m, I think this is going to be 135m tall

Now, all we need to know is whether this is a vision, or whether there may be a bit more substance to it....

well i know this is optermistic but im sorta hoping that with GH being on this resi element for @least the last 6 months, they have got past the visionary stage. i mean this has outline and stuff and the 1st phase is due to start.... thoughts?!?!?
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #69
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I agree. As I said in my last comment, I think there has been alot behind the scenes which we do not know about.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old October 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #70
Biosonic
Second Citizen

There was an advertisement by Ballymore for this scheme in last weeks Estates Gazette showing the lowest floors of a basic model.

It was touting for an hotel operator, and saying the hotel had 120 (180?) rooms, gym, spa, conference & banqueting facilities, restaurants, bar/cafe's etc etc. And it is pitched at becoming 'the best hotel in Birmingham'.

I have heard that it will be an operator that is new to Birmingham, and if it is to be the best I can only think of Shangri-La, Four Seasons, Sheraton or someone like the Savoy/Dorchester.

Any others?
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #71
FLD

Savoy & Dorchester???? As much as I love the city, I can't see them opening up a 5 star hotel next to a 'down & out' hostel in Snow Hill!!!

"Best in Brum" probably means on a par with the likes of Malmaison & Hotel du Vin ..... very nice, but not quite up there with the Dorchester!
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #72
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Well, they are competing with Hyatt Regency, Radisson, Malmaison, Hotel Du Vin & Marriott so it has got to be a 5* to get "the best in Brum".
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #73
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Well my bet is on something like a Hilton. However im very impressed with this scheme already, it certainly is moving fast. Construction next year?
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #74
FLD

There isn't a 5 star hotel in central Birmingham, so it may just be a very good 4 star hotel chain that they attract to this site. I'm not sure this is a "5 star" site any way, it is on the periphery of the central area. Now if a hotel group were to aqcuire the Grand Hotel site, I could see that being converted into a 5 star hotel.
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #75
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 931

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
Now if a hotel group were to aqcuire the Grand Hotel site, I could see that being converted into a 5 star hotel.
Here! Here! Shocking waste of one of the best sites in the city.

What on earth are Hortons Estates (is it them) messing about at. It seems to fly in the face of their approach with the rest of the city.

Anyway, back to the subject in hand, perhaps they could move the thistle hotel from that monstrosity 100 yds away. Not "best in Brum" admittedly, but it would free up their current spot opposite St Chads so that it could be replaced with something that isn't an affront to humanity!!!
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #76
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
There isn't a 5 star hotel in central Birmingham, so it may just be a very good 4 star hotel chain that they attract to this site. I'm not sure this is a "5 star" site any way, it is on the periphery of the central area. Now if a hotel group were to aqcuire the Grand Hotel site, I could see that being converted into a 5 star hotel.
That's my point - all the other ones I mentioned are 4*, so this one has to be a 5* in order to be the best.

As for the Thistle - I have a *feeling* it will move before many years are past.

This is mere speculation, but the hotel in BST would be a good Thistle.
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #77
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Doesn't the star rating now go higher, something like 7*?
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #78
FLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
That's my point - all the other ones I mentioned are 4*, so this one has to be a 5* in order to be the best.

As for the Thistle - I have a *feeling* it will move before many years are past.

This is mere speculation, but the hotel in BST would be a good Thistle.

There is an almighty great jump from a 4 star to a 5 star hotel, believe me!
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #79
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Well, the Hyatt has been borderline for ages and are trying for 5 - they improved the restaurant (down gone down a bit) but that is why they are spending all the money on a new foyer, refurbs and the spa (and bar!). I think they will get their 5 shortly...
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #80
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan View Post
Doesn't the star rating now go higher, something like 7*?
Thats a different rating I think. The international ratings only go to 5. The Burj Al Arab claims to be a 7* but they are really just an awesomely good 5*. Do you know of any 6*?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement