Birmingham Library - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #1
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Birmingham Library

Could'nt find the original thread. Should be some news on this soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Should there? The design competition has not been long going.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #3
SimLim

Likes (Received):

The projects valuation is circa. £150m - Site has been confirmed for the current car park between the ICC and Baskerville House. Mr Chinn was present
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #4
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
The projects valuation is circa. £150m - Site has been confirmed for the current car park between the ICC and Baskerville House. Mr Chinn was present
You mean the Rep and Baskerville House because if what you say is true, the Rep will go. I wish part of the design was to demolish the tower blocks behind it (Sorry Smiley and Butterfield!) because they really do blight the skyline more than anything.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #5
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
You mean the Rep and Baskerville House because if what you say is true, the Rep will go. I wish part of the design was to demolish the tower blocks behind it (Sorry Smiley and Butterfield!) because they really do blight the skyline more than anything.
The Rep will go? To be relocated? If so, where?

If this is true then we could have a building that harks back to original designs for this area - something with some civic presence that stretches the entire length of Centenary Square!
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Garcha
S1NGH

Likes (Received): 0

I agree with Erebus555, those tower blocks should go and the Library should edge onto the Canal, with a huge double storey balcony over looking the waterway.
Garcha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #7
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1539

We all still talking about this?
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #8
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Its moving again. £150m on a Library is big bucks. The council have done alot of work over recent months. Got some worthwhile names on board.
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #9
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 25179

The Rep is a great building, it would be tragic if it were destroyed.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #10
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Riiiight. So, Lrd Rogers' project did not go ahead because they didn't have enough money, and now they are coming out with £150m. BCC really wanted to scrap Labour's idea, reminds me of 'weapons of mass destruction' being a diversion having no money.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #11
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1974

SimLim was being a little vague - he means the carpark area only between the ICC and Baskerville - in other words the carpark next to the REP. I'd like to see it diagonally linked by a bridge to the site created by the demo of the extg multi storey carpark behind BH.
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #12
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 11

I'd rather they just kept as it is than either squeeze it into the crappy carpark space or even worse demolish the rep
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #13
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

Don't worry the rep wont be demolished., great on the inside, not so great on the outside x
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #14
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
The Rep is a great building, it would be tragic if it were destroyed.
The REP aint going nowhere!
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #15
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Isn't it funny how things snowball?

From what I know:
- the library is earmarked for the space between the Rep & Baskerville House
- it will be the lending and reference library, with a separate archives and family history library elsewhere
- Capita Percy Thomas, designers of the ICC & NIA, and more recently the Welsh National Centre (name?) in Cardiff (the one with the big copper lettering on the front) are appointed architects.
- the council are seeking to keep the archive library close to the main library if they can
- cost will be £100-150m, compared to the Rogers' £280-350m

I am not happy about the loss of the Rogers Library (as a piece of architecture) nor the blow to Eastside with the loss of such an important culutural facility, BUT Eastside has receovered and City Park Gate has restored my architectural desires

I STILL think it is a stupid, schoolboy mistake to separate the two libraries. The only way I could be appeased would be if the archive section were moved to BMAG, and we had a nice new modern art gallery instead. I hope Mr Whitby is reading this!

But, I concede defeat on the whole library issue We just have to make sure the new design is more along the lines of the Welsh Centre and not the ICC!
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #16
FLD

Wales Millennium Centre .... groovy name!

Mind you, it trips off the tongue a little easier than "Canolfan Mileniwm Cymru"!!!
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #17
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

The Future Library thread was here https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...9#post10047199

I have completely lost interest in this and I'm unsure what to think about CPT being appointed. I guess all we can do is wait and see.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #18
SimLim

Likes (Received):

How can you lose interest in a £150m new build at the heart of Birminghams main public square which will become an attraction in its own right?

This stalled. Its back on its feet and much better organised then the original project. They've got a site which in all honesty is perfect. ICC, Rep, Baskerville, NIA, Paradise Circus, Broad Street. think about future development. This area is going to be the heart and soul of the city, a world class library will add to it.

Yes the Rogers library was superb. Probably the best of any library projects in Europe but it had many problems. Eastside has recovered with some fantastic projects. Give this chance. Im not a fan of Whitby but his done good with this one.
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #19
FLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
How can you lose interest in a £150m new build at the heart of Birminghams main public square which will become an attraction in its own right?

This stalled. Its back on its feet and much better organised then the original project. They've got a site which in all honesty is perfect. ICC, Rep, Baskerville, NIA, Paradise Circus, Broad Street. think about future development. This area is going to be the heart and soul of the city, a world class library will add to it.

Yes the Rogers library was superb. Probably the best of any library projects in Europe but it had many problems. Eastside has recovered with some fantastic projects. Give this chance. Im not a fan of Whitby but his done good with this one.

Well, who's lost interest in a £1/2billion project on the other side of the road then, eh??
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #20
SimLim

Likes (Received):

I havent lost interest. Its just pointless talking about the same thing over and over again.

Not to mention posting pictures of skyscrapers from other cities. I dont want a copy of a tower built 10 years ago in a foreign land.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement