Birmingham Library - Page 154 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #3061
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 187

Cardiff's library isn't one of the biggest public lending libraries in the world now is it? And this library is going to cost £193 million.

The £500 million figure is meaningless, it's meaningless because nobody knows or cares about finding out how much it costs to maintain a building over a 30 year span anyway, and if you did you'd be pretty satisfied that £500 million is a standard rate for such a long period of time on such an important building.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3062
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
The design does NOT fit into the square irrespective of how the square may feel. Existing buildings number 30s neo-classic in portland stone (Bask and old TSB), marble and glass clad 80s styling and 70s elegant coliseum facade in concrete - no metal anywhere as far as I know. The idea of the metallic cladding is downright misinformed and offers nothing elegant to the square. The shape of the building is pig ugly and if the cladding was removed it would resemble Tyseley Incinerator! Imagine that pillock Charles' reaction? He's an idiot on most counts but his opinion on this if it gets built would be similar to mine.
The square isn't elegant, never has been elegant and never will be elegant. It has tower blocks built behind it and two major thoroughfares running adjacent to it. What the buildings look like doesn't matter, it really doesn't, it is how they fit into the urban grain that matters, and as I have said, with the exception of the new library EVERY building around Centenary square isolates itself from everything else and creates a series of individual buildings that bear no relation to one another. This is not because they are from different architectural eras, it is because they have not been designed in a coherent way. The Library has been designed to form an annex to the Rep, it is quite literally being built onto the side of it, this is what Centenary Square has always needed, a building that finally starts sealing up the huge gaps that detract from the feeling of enclosure a good public square should provide.

You can talk about architectural styles until you are blue in the face, but architectural styles are more often than not the last thing that matter when designing a building, what matters more is the morphological relationship it has with the buildings around it, and I have said, this building does a bloody good job of repairing the urban grain around there.

I don't find this building pig ugly at all, I believe it will be one of Birmingham's best buildings, if I here one more person claim that it is shit because it is boxy I think I'll blow a blood vessel in my brain. It is a good building because it detracts attention away from the tower blocks behind it and is of a height that will compliment both the Arena Central development opposite and the canal side development behind it (Baskerville wharf?). It will contribute to a greater sense of enclosure within Centenary square which is only a good thing, as well as providing new public gardens and world class facilities for everyone in Birmingham.

Quote:
I think this could be one of the worst decisions ever made if carried through as is - I originally thought Baskerville with an extension was perfect for the new Library because the position is the best for the city, even though most forumers here wanted it to be in Eastside at first.
I would have loved this building to have created a physical link with Baskerville house thus completing a proper row of buildings and forming the basis for a decent public square, but it hasn't happened and that is a shame, but I am grateful for the link the building will share with the Rep, it is a step in the right direction for Centenary square, lord knows it has needed one for a very long time.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3063
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

I have a funny feeling that this will not go ahead? or maybe be delayed dramatically.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #3064
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

This is what Seatle got not so long ago:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/new...ries/spl1.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pac...425/cover.html

I love it. Stylish, futuristic, elegant, chic, intriguing, inviting, almost like an opening box or cage.

Quote:
At $273 a square foot, the building is consciously cheap. The central library alone cost $165.5 million, including $10 million for a temporary library while the new one was built on the site of its 1960 predecessor. About $14 million comes from the private donations.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #3065
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

I saw a Future Systems design for the Birmingham Central Library replacement competition from back in 2002 today. I really don't know how to describe it but it is definitely a strange one. I'm glad it didn't get through because I think it would have divided the city massively - a lot more than the Selfridges building (which I also saw the concept drawings for - did you know they originally intended it to be yellow and pink?).

All I can say is, imagine a central point, eminating from which are three or four sinuous swirls which peter out. These are very low rise and white. Rising from the centre is a very short shaft, and then on top of this is a great big mirror - rectangular in shape. It looks as though it may have rotated on the shaft but I wasn't sure. But it was huge...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #3066
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 476

image hosted on flickr
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #3067
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I'll try and grab a picture of it next week. It was in the book 'Future Systems'. Has a distinctive metallic silver cover with the title of the book printed on the top of the pages. It's an inspirational book.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old February 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM   #3068
giocoliere

Likes (Received): 1

This is what Paradise could be like...

Quote:
EARLY views on the controversial development of Paradise Circus in Birmingham city centre are being shared by developer Argent and Glenn Howells Architects at two-day exhibition.

Although outline planning concsent will not be sought until the summer of 2011, the developers say they want to hear as many views as possible on the development that will transform the site between Centenary and Chamberlain Squares. The John Madin-designed Central Library and the Copthorne Hotel will be demolished to make way for the scheme.

A public information exhibition will be held within the Paradise Forum malon Tuesday, February 9 from 12-7pm and the following day from 7:30am-2pm.

Land owner Birmingham City Council and Argent say they want to create a lively, attractive and welcoming new environment at Paradise Circus and are working towards producing a masterplan for the area.

Representatives from Argent, Glenn Howells Architects and transport planners, Peter Brett Associates will all be present at the exhibition to answer questions and receive feedback.

Gary Taylor, Argent managing director said: "The thoughts we will be sharing showcase our preliminary work highlighting the major elements and issues of the site including connectivity, historic buildings, public realm and sustainability. The feedback we receive will help us progress our thoughts at this pre masterplanning stage and will ensure that the potential redevelopment of Paradise Circus is shaped for, and by, the people of Birmingham from the outset."

Once further work is complete, it is likely that additional public consultation will be undertaken in approximately 12-18 months time, before an outline planning application is submitted in summer 2011.

A website showcasing the initial concepts for Paradise Circus will be available at www.paradisecircus.co.uk from 9 February.
http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westm..._section=19011
giocoliere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM   #3069
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

its also good to know they will be using the website as part of the exercise so people like me can comment
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:54 PM   #3070
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Taking a quick look at the Peter Brett Associates website, it seems to me that their expertise is being sought for the transport side of things. So, I'd expect some remodelling of the circus.

Old February 1st, 2010, 08:54 PM   #3071
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 4505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
This is what Seatle got not so long ago:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/new...ries/spl1.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pac...425/cover.html

I love it. Stylish, futuristic, elegant, chic, intriguing, inviting, almost like an opening box or cage.

That is amazing! Not very big, though.
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement