Birmingham Library - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #21
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

There are only so many variations you can create, the chances are, we will get something quite similar to one that already exists in one of the thousand skyscraper cities across the world.

.... any way, this is about the library, want to hazard a guess that this will also look nothing like what we have been shown, remember the angular black glass creation that was aired in the media earlier this year? We haven't been shown anything 'concrete' (excuse the pun) with this one yet either Sim!
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #22
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Ken Shuttleworth branded that design. There isnt a concrete design yet. They have taken the time to find a team that will deliver a world class facilty to a hopefull world class city.
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #23
FLD

Exactly ......... err, didn't I just see you in 'City Talk'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #24
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Are you a farmer?
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #25
FLD

I live next to a farm, why?
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #26
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Just wondering.

New face of Walkabout is a Brummie. She's quite fantastic.
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #27
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

The library will be a completely new design because it is a different firm of architects to those that did their 'fag packet' images.

I think this should have gone to a design competition, but let's see what CPT come up with first... I guess they have been appointed to save time?
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #28
zigmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
How can you lose interest in a £150m new build at the heart of Birminghams main public square which will become an attraction in its own right?
Terry Grimley's article sums up why i find it hard to get behind this library...

"The Whitby administration also had to overcome the setback of having commissioned a report from consultants Gardiner & Theobald , which - presumably to their astonishment - told them that the Rogers scheme was not only the best option but also by far the cheapest to the council, since it was best equipped to raise external funding. Instead of bowing gracefully to expert advice they succeeded in hiding this report from the council taxpayers who paid for it for six months."

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #29
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I am glad you brought that up. Shame on the council for that one. The Rogers one is dead and buried now (maybe they were fearful it would suffer the way Millennium Point has) but we can push for something good here.
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #30
SimLim

Likes (Received):

From what I know, I disagree.

We shall see what comes around.
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #31
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
I am glad you brought that up. Shame on the council for that one. The Rogers one is dead and buried now (maybe they were fearful it would suffer the way Millennium Point has) but we can push for something good here.
The current councils first action once i power was to scrap the Library and they clearly had a prior agenda to do so.

I said at the time on a Radio WM phone/text in, that with this kind of precedent, Birmingham should prepare for reverse gear.

That was X years ago, and whilst there is a lot to be optimistic about with MG, City Park Gate and Pinnacle we're still in neutral with this council.

The fail of the council to deliver the ambitious library scheme will be their epitaph if they are not careful. If they had been in power, would they have cancelled the ICC as not viable.........
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #32
SimLim

Likes (Received):

This scheme will still be ambitious, just more sensible.
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #33
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit&nut View Post
The current councils first action once i power was to scrap the Library and they clearly had a prior agenda to do so.

I said at the time on a Radio WM phone/text in, that with this kind of precedent, Birmingham should prepare for reverse gear.

That was X years ago, and whilst there is a lot to be optimistic about with MG, City Park Gate and Pinnacle we're still in neutral with this council.

The fail of the council to deliver the ambitious library scheme will be their epitaph if they are not careful. If they had been in power, would they have cancelled the ICC as not viable.........
Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I disagree with the ICC comment because the ICC was delivered off the back of cooperation between ruling Labour and opposition Tories.

If they manage to pull New St off (oo-er) then I think historically they will be remembered well. If they don't, then they will be remembered for the Library because everyone is understandably sceptical about BNS!
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #34
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 944

[QUOTE=Biosonic;10860747]Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I disagree with the ICC comment because the ICC was delivered off the back of cooperation between ruling Labour and opposition Tories.

QUOTE]

Good point Bio.

Oh for such enlightened times.....
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #35
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

For £150m you can build three HCTs or 1 and half BSTs .
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #36
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

Going around in circles

In the eighties the council had a choice of a bold convention centre design by Richard Rogers or a 'safe bet' with percy thomas partnership, we landed the ICC as it is today

Albert Bore is quoted as saying that it was the biggest mistake of the previous labour council !!

So here we are again, Library : Richard Rogers, Percy Thomas

Talk about not learning a lesson....here we are a generation later making the same mistake and letting a true architecural icon pass the city by AGAIN

BTW the estimated cost to the tax payer for the ICC by rogers was the same as the Percy Thomas design, which seems to be the case with the Library too

This city rulers really do not have a clue and seem to be driven by party politics and not whats in the city's interest
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #37
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
This scheme will still be ambitious, just more sensible.
I look forward to seeing the plans as I fail to see how anything can be more ambitious and sensible than what was put forward in 2002!

A tourist attraction in itself and a worthy building by one of the best architecture firms in the world with high cultural and environmental credentials. The scrutiny report was published in October 2005 after a long wait and here we are on the verge of 2007 with no better idea of it replacement.

Whitby and Tilsley should have fought for this. They should hang their heads in shame.

I feel so strongly about this and our spineless leaders stance it makes me seethe. I will say no more on this until I see firm proposals but I along with just about everyone I speak to about this are still to be conviced the split site library will be of a greater benefit of the city and people of Birmingham.

I see the RRP site has been updated with World Trade Centre Tower 3 and the Stirling prize winning Barajas Airport. Nah we don't want any of that.

Last edited by U475 Foxtrot; December 13th, 2006 at 08:12 PM.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #38
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 476

FFS we were gifted one the world's best libraries designed by one of the worlds best architects and our leaders let it slip though they fingers.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #39
El Paulo
This is PWEI-zation!

Likes (Received): 2

This conversation is making me cry!
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #40
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 8

I'm still not sure what I'd like to see with the library.

Clad the existing one in Portland Stone as it was meant to be, and it should look a lot better.

The Rogers plan for eastside certainly has its merits, and would be a fine adition to our city.

Filling in that carpark between Baskerville & The Rep will finish off centenary square quite nicely.

On the subject of The Rep. I think it looks fine, they just need to remove those FECKING AWFULL BLINDS FROM THE WINDOWS!!!
Advertisement