Birmingham Library - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #81
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

[QUOTE=U475 Foxtrot;11448932] who? Are you on it?

Hope not ...... we could be waving good bye to the Town Hall & Council House to make way for a couple of 'mega scrapers'!
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #82
SimLim

Likes (Received):

FLD will you piss of already you silly little girl.

Where did we find him?
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #83
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Whilst the article itself can give a great impression, the overall situation of things is terrible. They cant make their minds up whether they want a split library, one in the Eastside or even a new one at all. I think we are seeing this development significantly slow down and I dont like it.

Library in Eastside: Not a good idea. It will be like putting all our eggs in one basket and the current library site is actually perfect for a library as it links two sides of the city centre. Eastside needs something new for Birmingham like the contemporary art gallery.

Split library: I think we can all agree that that is a shite idea.

Keep the library where it is: Not an option. The library is experiencing larger numbers of visitors and the overall site is despised by the majority of the public. It is an iconic structure but for all the wrong reasons.

My idea: Well it's a tough one. The site which they are thinking of next to Baskerville House is great but too small. If the Rep wasn't there, then it would be great but it is there. I think a good place could be between Arena Central and the Mailbox as that area will get a lot more people in the future. Though there is one major setback - Suffolk Queensway. I hate that road there. I would like to see that dropped to surface level however not all the way as I know the gradient changes alot near Broad Street. But if this was lowered to surface, the library would be more visible and more easily accessed. Basically, the Axis office building site could make a prime site for the library in my opinion. I'm thinking about tomorrow, not today.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #84
SimLim

Likes (Received):

This project has considerably picked up pace to be honest Erebus. I understand your frustrations but there is an awful lot of work thats been happening behind the scenes. Its a bit like a C.E trying to sign a player for a football team. Its kept hidden, until everything is confirmed and the player has passed a medical before they release details.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #85
FLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
FLD will you piss of already you silly little girl.

Where did we find him?
Don't lose it Sim!!!
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #86
SimLim

Likes (Received):

FLD. Mate, you are getting really really annoying now. If you have nothing decent to say. Go away.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #87
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1539

******* hell......another project thats gone round in shitting circles. Hey lets investigate a split option....and throw time and money to the wind....lets investigate an underground metro option for Brum.....and throw time and money to the wind...

I can see a pattern emerging.

I only say all this because I believe Brum has been dealt a huge injustice since WW2...and it deserves so much.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #88
FLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
FLD. Mate, you are getting really really annoying now. If you have nothing decent to say. Go away.

Think we both need to cool it Sim, neither of us have had anything decent to say today!
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #89
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I think the new library could be sited where Woody suggested in his renders - where the Adrian Boult Hall et al is now. How ironic that they would put the new library on the site of the old one, then they could build a temporary bridge between the ziggurat one and the new one (as they did before) and then demolish the ziggurat one.

They could give the site between Baskerville and Rep to Argent, with maybe the Cambrian Wharf car park as a sweetener.

I didn't listen to the radio article, but I guess Hardemann won't have a clue because they are considering all options. If they can't put a bloody statue of 3 gold men outside the Rep, then I doubt they can excavate too far down next to Baskerville!

I am just glad they are reconsidering, and now they have a consultant project manager on board they should get things moving because it will cost them otherwise. They might widen their remit to include council land elsewhere I guess?

The options seem to be:
a) either go back to Eastside (Curzon St Station),
b) stay where it is proposed
c) stay where it is
d) find another plot of council land e.g. an old office block or car park & demolish it
e) Arena Central - don't the council own the freehold to the TSB AND Register Office?
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #90
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Its going on the car park between rep and BH. This is 99%
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #91
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Sim. You seem to have some insider knowledge so I trust your instincts, but:

- it is very expensive to have subterranean levels
- the plot of land between Rep & Baskerville isn't that great
- they wouldn't be able to get away with anything too tall because of i) the overbearing of Centenary Square and ii) the foundations would have to be enormous
- it is seeming likely that it will be a single library therefore space will be at a premium.

Now, if the site is not big enough, and it is not feasible to split-site, then a wholesale move seems the only option.

If they are determined to keep that site then a bridge over Cambridge St is possible, but you effectively have 2 sites. Alternatively they could house the archives in BMAG (a natural home).
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #92
SimLim

Likes (Received):

The overbearing of Centenary square is'nt really an issue because no Building will climb higher then 50 or so meters. We could easily fit in a 200,000sqft library on this site without climbing any higher then 10 storeys. However a gently receeding block like this would be viable, with a possible overhang which would allow visitors sights over the city and CS.

Old January 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #93
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

They cannot remove the two car parks which service the Rep Theatre, Sympony Hall, ICC and NIA without replacing them. This means that they can only go underground and don't forget there art railway lines under there. If this is pursued then I expect costs will end up similar to the Rogers scheme anyway.

Sim, do you know someone involved in the scheme? yes or no?
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #94
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by U475 Foxtrot View Post
They cannot remove the two car parks which service the Rep Theatre, Sympony Hall, ICC and NIA without replacing them. This means that they can only go underground and don't forget there art railway lines under there. If this is pursued then I expect costs will end up similar to the Rogers scheme anyway.
The price is just shy of £150m Construction would amount for a small % of this.
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #95
SimLim

Likes (Received):

PM.
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #96
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

There is a trend away from tall narrow buildings for single occupiers as the do not work efficiently. Companies prefer large expansive floor plates. I've just been involved with a tennant moving out of a 16 storey building into a 2 storey one. They have saved massively on maintenance, energy efficiency, communication. A tall library won't work.

When companies move into tall buildings they tend to take individual floors not whole buildings.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #97
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Tall libraries do work. Single floor plans are always the first choice though, with a constant average plan going throughout the building.

Certain sectors of a Library need seperation. Our Library will also involve some sort of platform/seating area for the general public.
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #98
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Tall libraries DON'T work because of the engineering involved. Considering one of the main reasons for booting out the Rogers library was cost, I can't see them liking expensive engineering.

City libraries and archives are just about the heaviest buildings you can get so you would need serious foundations, serious columns and serious floors.

This doesn't lend itself well to being above underground tunnels without spending a lot of money.

10 storeys would be too high IMO - 7 max would be possible.
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #99
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Tallest Library in the world?

28 stories.

Who says the tall bits would be for books anyway? Lets not froget alot of information is now stored on computers. Its the digital age. Books can be stored, read, saved etc all on a tiny flat screen machine placed delightfully infront of you.

This is'nt the 18th century.
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #100
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I am sure there are tall libraries Sim, but they cost a lot of money, and a lot of money BCC does not have.

Agreed the "tall bits" would not have to have books, but several floors of computers are probably not necessary. Birmingham Central Library will not be scanning books in and then chucking them away or putting them in deep store - if they were going to do that they would have enough space in the current library.

Look, I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, I am just saying that quite a lot of things don't stack up. If you want to keep costs down, you don't build subterranean levels and you don't build too tall. Admittedly you don't build iconic either but that seems to be a prerequisite of this.

To give an idea of the site & scale, from local.live:

Bearing in mind Baskerville House was too small for just the library istelf (not the archive or family history section), I can't see how they can house the library on that single site without going up or down several storeys.

They could build on the car park across Cambridge St, but then you have 2 sites...
Advertisement