Birmingham Library - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #101
SimLim

Likes (Received):

We will have to see what they propose. But anything mounting to 60m is viable. Its just alot of planning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #102
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

Six years since the first proposal, if we take any longer it will all be digital (cynical smile )

I think something underground would be bold if done well but I agree U475 this is wrong site. But if there was a bit underground with glass ceiling to ground level to see the world above would be a differnt experience.

Just looking at all the designs in those Taschen Architecture books and it makes me weep how the rest of the world and Europe is bold, exciting and use space and design to add to buildings and this country is still plodding on.

Why not do a Welsh assembly type idea with sustainability and also future proofing for the increasing hot weather UK going to face.
Depending on a location I would love to see a building, not necessarily the library but maybe, with slate, the london brick, wood, stone.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #103
Braidy

Likes (Received): 16

Would love to see both car parks go but then where will the cars park for the Rep and Symphony Hall apart from Brindley Place?

The current library does seem to have the perfect location to me.

As someone who often works for the Rep I know that they had designs on the land next them for a purpose built studio theatre / rehearsal rooms / conference facilities etc. Backstage facilities there are very poor and they need to expand.
Braidy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #104
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

I suppose they could follow the same model as Kent Central Library in Maidstone and build a huge windowless tower to act as a book depository

U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #105
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I'm agree with Braidy - I would prefer it if the Rep had that land to expand and improve an excellent theatre
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #106
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

So no one thinks my idea for a site is any good?

I can already imagine a Santiago Calatrava designed library next to Centenary Plaza, Mailbox and the internationally renowned Arena Square Tower.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #107
U475 Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post

Bearing in mind Baskerville House was too small for just the library istelf (not the archive or family history section), I can't see how they can house the library on that single site without going up or down several storeys.
Baskerville House is 18,000sq M (200,000 sq ft) across eight floors. The RRP scheme was 35,000 sq M (378,000 sq ft)

RRP didn't just pick a figure and design a building to that size. It followed a lot of investigation & analysis. We'll need a building almost twice the size of Baskerville on a single site to resolve the parking issues.
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #108
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Baskerville House was not strong enough to support the weight of the books aparently!

OK here's the site that I think might be good for the library:

The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old January 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #109
U475 Foxtrot

I'm not so sure. The Axis building is already there and isn't offensive. Maybe something long and low beside the canal

[IMG]http://i11.************/3zs4nqo.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #110
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

I like the Axis building but I think it is in a great site for a library seeing as how modern it will get in the future. The canal site would be good and with the right architecture, would look great in the setting but I think it is not in your face. The library needs to be in a spot where you can see it and then walk straight in without walking down some streets. If Centenary Plaza wasn't built then we maybe could have use the car park in the middle as well!

Old January 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #111
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

The excuse about Tunnels is b******s,
This plan clearly shows the railway tunnel is not under the site. I guess any excavation would just have to be careful not to push the land against the tunnel. It also highlights that with some forethough the Boulton, Watt, etc statue could be put somewhere in the square safely.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #112
Biosonic
Second Citizen

So it is!

I don't think anywhere around the Mailbox is a good idea as there is no justification for its use. Centenary/Paradise has a collection of civic buildings, and Eastside will have MBC, Aston & UCE.
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #113
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
Its going on the car park between rep and BH. This is 99%
I couldnt think of anything worse.
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #114
SimLim

Likes (Received):

And why not? The city's main public square. Any better place?
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #115
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Quote:
And why not? The city's main public square. Any better place?
Totally agree, the main library opening out onto a major public square. Sounds fantastic to me!
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #116
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I am fine with the idea of a library opening on to a main public square, but I am concerned that the site is too small and it will cut off the area behind it.
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #117
flying tackle
time for a change

yeh definatly a good place isnt it, and as for the size of the car park, its probably just smaller BH itself, but would obviously be higher if needs be. and hopefully baskerville house is incapable of holding the books because of its age, not the weight of the books.
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #118
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
I am fine with the idea of a library opening on to a main public square, but I am concerned that the site is too small and it will cut off the area behind it.
Given that the area behind is already cut off with no attractive pedestrian link from the main city core (best being through the existing car park) then i can't see that it would make it worse. After all you would probably still be able to walk between the building and the Rep or BH. + We may get a walkway through the middle of the site (inside or open depending on the design)

Something has to be done about that Car park and since we wont get the Rogers library i think this is the best suggestion so far.
+ i think we are all over estimating the size of building required. It's a site as big as the one Baskerville house is on and that is a huge building... while the existing library might look biger in relation it is mostly air in the form of Paradise forum + it contains UCE's school of acting as well as other uses in the complex.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!

Last edited by Engels; January 25th, 2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: english
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #119
flying tackle
time for a change

there'd definatly be walk ways of either side. Or a kind of first floor passage which you could walk through would be cool - kinda like what the symphony hall has but on a smaller scale. but even so, a building here wouldnt really cut off much because theres hardly anything behind the carpark apart from some flats
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #120
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Quote:
. Any better place?
Yes it shoudl be openign onto the new park in east side.

The site at Centenary square is far too small even for part of the library let alone all of it. I wrote a letter about it at the time.
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement