Birmingham Library - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #121
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1956

Build it on the site of the multi-storey carpark AND gardens - turn existing surface carpark into new gardens / extension to Centenary Sq., thus creating a T shaped square. With the Library being a decent height, it might hide those hideous 4 tower blocks if positioned where I say.
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #122
Braidy

Likes (Received): 16

I think they've / they're doing a good job with those 4 towers behind the Rep. They're going to be fine.
Braidy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #123
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
Given that the area behind is already cut off with no attractive pedestrian link from the main city core (best being through the existing car park) then i can't see that it would make it worse. After all you would probably still be able to walk between the building and the Rep or BH. + We may get a walkway through the middle of the site (inside or open depending on the design)

Something has to be done about that Car park and since we wont get the Rogers library i think this is the best suggestion so far.
+ i think we are all over estimating the size of building required. It's a site as big as the one Baskerville house is on and that is a huge building... while the existing library might look biger in relation it is mostly air in the form of Paradise forum + it contains UCE's school of acting as well as other uses in the complex.
I take your point about the area being already cut off, but we should be doing something to improve it, not make it worse. Especially as we aren't getting rid of the 4 council towers (they are looking better already though).

The council considered Baskerville House but it would have needed a lot of strengthening, and was too small anyway. Ergo, if BH was too small, then the plot next to it must be too.

The problem is, I can't really think of many other places
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #124
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 89

They should just have built the bloody Rogers library it was excellent!
Prestonian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #125
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

Agreed

Bio

Do we really want to make a show-piece entrance to the back of Centerary square though. The back of the Rep and ICC is hardly somewhere we want to lead tourists. Admittedly that rather misses the point that we are meant to be regenerating however i think that a library here with a back entrance as good as the front would be fine... it'll need vehicle access from there so they need to be careful.. but it think the additional access to the canal & area behind the site needs to come from removing that multi story car park behind BH and connecting through to Paradise Forum when that is re master planned.. with a second raised pedestrian Bridge like the existing one.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #126
OperateOnMe

Likes (Received): 17

They should build the Rogers Library of Birmingham, we should have a city and nation wide petition, for this and against bungling council fools.

The project is brilliant, iconic, needed and is what the city needs, think about it please, think!
OperateOnMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #127
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

I liked Rogers' library scheme but I think it was in the wrong place.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #128
zigmonster

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
back of the Rep and ICC is hardly somewhere we want to lead tourists
i think the main tourist attraction of the rogers design was the 'floating leaf' roof garden and the way the library opened up to the eastside park.

can anyone really think of a library anywhere that is a tourist attraction beside it's architecture/appearance?
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #129
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Why was it in the wrong place? (i'm not saying it wasn't, i just wonder why you think that). To me a library doesn't need to be dead central, it just needs to be fairly accessible, its a facility people generally travel to use anyway. I just felt the Rogers design would attract people wherever it was.
Prestonian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #130
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

It would attract people and that's what I found the problem (in sorts).

Basically, when this was proposed, it was all about the Eastside. Eastside was a new buzzing area (and still is) and we wanted to make it as modern as possible. The opportunity for a library came along and shoving it in Eastside seemed like the right thing to do. But to me, it was wrong.

A major reason why people go to Centenary Square and Broad Street etc is to get to the library. It is one of the busiest in the world (apparently). But moving it away from there would ultimately remove a large number of visitors from there.

With Eastside, we were putting all our eggs in one basket. Eastside needed something new for Birmingham, not an update. That's hwy I think a Museum of Contemporary Art would be so much more better for it and not the library.

The currently library site is actually perfect, though the building isn't. It joins Brindleyplace, Broad Street and Centenary Square to the rest of the city centre.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #131
city living

Im sure it is busy but I'm sure those fugures are probably including all the people who are walking through with no interest in the Library.

Its like saying that the Pallisades is the most popular shopping centre in birmingham when 99.9% are just walking through to New Street.
city living no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #132
city living

Quote:
The currently library site is actually perfect, though the building isn't. It joins Brindleyplace, Broad Street and Centenary Square to the rest of the city centre.
The council want to link up the major business areas Brindley Place and Colmore Row I don't see a library being a good link. This is why it is the future development at Paridise Circus that means the library must move.
city living no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #133
Biosonic
Second Citizen

BUMP!

A comment on using the Rep car park for the Rep reminded me of this thread.

I have heard, fairly recently and from a good source, that the council has dropped plans for the Library of Birmingham to go on the Rep car park site .

Interestingly, Parky Report hints that they should find space for it somewhere near Eastside to give it the Learning Quarter moniker. I wonder whether it can be squeezed in on near Masshouse or somewhere like that?

Alternatively, I think I would like to see the old TSB/Masonic Hall at Arena Central used as the entrance, and a really funky new building behind. This would be a good prelet/sale for Miller to advance Arena Central, and give a great frontage to Centenarty Square.

Failing that, how about next to the current library?
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #134
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

That sounds good but theyre running out of space unless they get masterplanning it soon for eastside. Going to be quite the hub of activity.

Maybe they could do something with UCE and thereby seek further financial backing. Would give great kudos to UCE to have main city library as part or linked to campus and would fit with the more vocational nature of UCE.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #135
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
The council want to link up the major business areas Brindley Place and Colmore Row I don't see a library being a good link. This is why it is the future development at Paridise Circus that means the library must move.
My thoughts precisely. Having the library in such a developing area as Paradise Circus would be seen more as a yoke more than anything. I was under the impression that one of the purposes of Eastside was for it follow a theme ie education, knowledge, culture and the arts and hence Millennium Point.

It would certainly show a lack of joined-up thinking to have one educational centre-point in one area of the city and another a couple of miles away! Build the new library at Eastside as originally intended and redevelop Paradise Circus big style with mix-use ideas - perhaps even reviving those early Paradise Circus Towers plan
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #136
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I will be interested to see what the Project Managers Capita Symonds (I think) come up with. Aren't they due to announce this month?
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #137
SimLim

Likes (Received):

It will be a bit longer yet.
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #138
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1169

Where can I find pictures of the current library, preferably when she was new and clean?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:37 AM   #139
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

John Madin Interview
http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid=537093384

Gary Taylor Interview
http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=537026784
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:26 AM   #140
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Quote:
They wanted to move it to the education quarter - where 3 universities, 2 colleges, NTI, science museum and a science park are situated. The idea of Eastside was to be for education, the library was one piece of it all. Now, the library is being moved further away.

UCE, Aston and B'ham students are fed up of having to do a nearly 2 mile round walk to get to the library as it is now.
Advertisement