The V Building | Suffolk Street Queensway | Residential | 50fl | 152m | Canc. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #1
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

The V Building | Suffolk Street Queensway | Residential | 50fl | 152m | Canc.

Well here we go, Arena Central has a band new look!

Arena Square Tower
Floors = 50
Height = 147m roof/152m facade overrun
Use = Residential

Further news...
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=839

The two pages in which height is told as 147m

The floor design of 50th floor, the viewing platform.

The model used for wind testing.

Views of the design from various roads,

The various levels to the site such as car parking with associated AOD ground level.

An example of the public square in the centre of arena central development

The layout showing metro route past development.

Last edited by wjfox; July 10th, 2007 at 11:46 AM.
woodhousen no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #2
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 931

Well well well Woody!

Is this for real? I'm not sure what to think really! Like it better than the last one, but I'm a bit unsure......

Good to see sonething though.....
fruit&nut no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Finally! The skyscrapernews article has actually got me liking this tower a bit actually. But I dont see how this is the best tower he has ever done... Anyway, may good times be ahead.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #4
woodhousen

surely its a amter of personal taste and opinion, if Eric Kuhne likes it, thats enough for me!
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #5
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

What a beautiful tower, like EK said, I don't know what people were expecting ? this is a fantastic design, far from boring and not mediocre in the least, fascinating Article Woody, btw
brum2003 no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #6
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 931

I just followed the link to Skyscrapernews.....

PS - like the new Avatar Woody!!
fruit&nut no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

its so detailed, modestly iconic and extremely stylish for what could so easily have been a bog standard tower or even worse... an Orion.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #8
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 102

Looks excellent to me, I get the feeling this, like Colmore Plaza will win us all over 'in the flesh', looking forward to seeing this rise and looking forward to seeing the rest of the plans for AC.

'False media - we don't need it do we?'
hammerb24 no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #9
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

and lest we forget the depressing days when this was going to be another Brindley Place development... and then marginally taller than Alpha Tower and now its about as tall as BT tower judging fromn the render. It almost reminds me of the same pixel type design of Cube but in sheer glass. The more I look at it the more I adore the design, this is incredible news.
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #10
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

But remember the days when it was to be taller than 1 Canada Square and the tallest in the country...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old January 28th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #11
Martin G

Likes (Received): 47

Not impressed.

One little bit.

It's a cop out.

All this dithering around and waiting...... for this???

So much for maximising (and building it to) the 175m / 50 storey ceiling that was already long approved years ago. How on earth can Kuhne reach a decision and then come up with a tower that falls well short? It's a ******* wasted opportunity. And sorry Woody, but I know how you despise detractors sticking their necks out and wield your authority by locking threads at the first signs of dissent, but I remain resolute in my opinion and views. This is NOT it. A different tower elsewhere in the city, maybe yes, but after all the expectation that promised that Arena Central would be a truly special landmark building (and the first one to be of a substantial height), is this really the best they can aspire to?
Martin G no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #12
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 102

Come on Erebus those times have gone, those were the days it was going to be purely business and no resi.

'False media - we don't need it do we?'
hammerb24 no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #13
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Martin, like I said it may yet be taller but even so we all knew roughly how tall it would be so I am surprised at people thinking it may have been taller, I was actually told about 45 storeys but this will be the equivalent to a 50 storey building which is what was originally planned.

What don't you like about the design, I am really surprised you don't like it
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #14
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerb24 View Post
Come on Erebus those times have gone, those were the days it was going to be purely business and no resi.
I know... and that prat Prescott shoved his oar in it. I still am unhappy with the height though. I feel like such a **** with all the suggestions I made from looking at the model.

Old January 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #15
woodhousen

but this is something that you have to consider. the ONLY thing you can compare this tower with is towers in other regional cities in the UK.. and that is it.

what drives a tower and its construction is its economic viability. the most viable would be a bland box hense why they seem to popular at the moment. we are not in the far east where you can have towers of any shape and size and we aint in london where we have the land rental values that could make amore "flaboyant" tower viable... if you seriously think that birmingham would be the focal point of skyscraper design on a global scale, you must have been dreaming, it is imposible fo all our regional cities to dream of that...

..now compare again other uk regional designs and then you get first class!
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #16
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3888

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/buildings.php?id=5155

141 Meters?
compaire and contrast:
https://skyscrapercity.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=98
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #17
woodhousen

the heights on the database have to be done through an equations (ie resi floors are 3m high and office 4.5m). it is the only way we can have regularity when we dont know building heights... so the database has it at 47x3=141m, however, it is clearly going to be taller then thatat about 150-160m!
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #18
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14400

woodhousen is right about this. if you ignore the top half a dozen proposals in london which are on a different planet (imagine a 1 billion pound skyscraper in birmingham) then this compares very favourably. its certainly as good as anything ever proposed outside of london.
gothicform no está en línea  
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #19
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Even Lumiere? I think Lumiere is way better. It's gorgeous.

Old January 28th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #20
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1170

I like it, I guess on some level I hoped it would be way taller with a spire but the more I see it, the more I like it. The colour is awesome and I like the little details like the way its at a slant to its podium and the indents and stuff. It could have been far far worse.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
architecture, arena, birmingham, central, construction, demolition, highrise, skybar, skyscraper